Windows 10: Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185

Discus and support Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo, newer. It was running 10. The HD crashed. No biggie because I have drives laying around. I wiped an existing 500G drive clean and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by phospholipid94, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185

I have a Lenovo, newer. It was running 10. The HD crashed. No biggie because I have drives laying around.

I wiped an existing 500G drive clean and installed it. I created an installer USB from another Windows 10 machine I have. I ran the installer on the new machine and everything appears to go well up until it's time to restart. When the machine restarts, I get this message:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors.
    File: \\Windows\system32\config\system
    Error code: 0x0000185

So, I go through all the steps. 1) I reformatted and attempted the installation again: same result 2) I re-created the install media and tried again: same result 3) I recreated the install media on a different USB: same result 4) I attempted with a different, newly formatted HD: same result.

I've tried multiple permutations of USB drives, HDs, work order, removing the UBS, leaving it in... I tried about ten times, and get the same result every time. If I remove the USB stick before re-boot, I still get this result. The installer runs, and upon re-boot, I get this message. If I restart the computer, this message consistently comes up. Running the repair does not work.

I think there were two occasions of getting this error when a restart gave me a slightly different error: a BCD error.

I need to get W10 installed on this machine pretty soon. Any thoughts on how to proceed would be appreciated.

:)

phospholipid94, Sep 26, 2018

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 26, 2018
  3. meloneum Win User
    BIOS error codes

So I have motherboard with installed small LED screen, which presents BIOS error codes.

Where can I find a list of those errors. And I don't mean beep codes, but the "number" codes.

Ex after installing sound card, the motherboard startup fails with the code 15.

Example picture of code is here.

meloneum, Sep 26, 2018
  4. Namslas90 Win User

Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185

Error Code Installing Oblivion (Kinda Urgent?)

that's a Direct X runtime error.

Install the DX 9c Winter 2005 install of DX9.
    download it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Reinstall your video card driver(you might get away with skipping this step, if not you gotta start over)

Now re-install the game. DO NOT let it install DX9 on your computer for you.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Sep 26, 2018
Thema:

Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185

1. Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185 - Similar Threads - Clean Install Troubles

2. Trouble after clean install of 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble after clean install of 22H2: My HP Elite x2 G8 tablet runs Windows 11 Pro 21H2 with no issues. However, the 22H2 auto update failed and rolled back so I thought I'd try a clean install using the ISO file and Media Creation Tool.The clean install worked fine except for one thing: the touch-screen numeric...
  3. recovery screen error code 0x0000185

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recovery screen error code 0x0000185: Hi so I can't use my laptop at all since I kept getting the recovery screen thing and i tried so many methods to fix it and it won't work also when I tried installing windows 10 and it starts restarting it goes back to the recovery screen can someone please help me I don't...
  4. recovery screen error code 0x0000185

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    recovery screen error code 0x0000185: Hi so I can't use my laptop at all since I kept getting the recovery screen thing and i tried so many methods to fix it and it won't work also when I tried installing windows 10 and it starts restarting it goes back to the recovery screen can someone please help me I don't...
  5. recovery screen error code 0x0000185

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Error 0x0000185

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error 0x0000185: Hi I have an Acer Aspire 3 A315-51 with Windows 10 installed Upon starting up, I get the Acer logo, and then "Preparing Startup Repair" appears below. After this, I get a blue screen that reads. Recovery Your PC couldn't start properly. A required device isn#t connected...
  7. Error 0x0000185 | Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 0x0000185 | Windows 10: Hi everyone! This is my first time here, so I hope I'm doing it right. I have been facing a problem with windows 10 for a few days now. First, it starts just fine, after that, it freezes for 20 to 30 min then shut down completely. I could not finish a single task!...
  8. Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0xc0000185

Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0xc0000185: I have a Lenovo, newer. It was running 10. The HD crashed. No biggie because I have drives laying around. I wiped an existing 500G drive clean and installed it. I created an installer USB from another Windows 10 machine I have. I ran the installer on the new machine and...
  9. Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185

Clean Install Troubles; Error code: 0x0000185: I have a Lenovo, newer. It was running 10. The HD crashed. No biggie because I have drives laying around. I wiped an existing 500G drive clean and installed it. I created an installer USB from another Windows 10 machine I have. I ran the installer on the new machine and...
  10. EFI error, no usb installation media boot for recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    EFI error, no usb installation media boot for recovery: Good morning to all I have a laptop HP AF101NV with an A6-6310 with 4GB RAM. After a crash I get a blue screen with the error: File:\EFI\Microsoft\BOOT\BCD error code: 0x0000185 I used to the windows media creation tool to make a bootable usb to recover the system...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error code 0x0000185 after doing asus recovery

2. ERROR Code:0x0000185