Windows 10: Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC?

Discus and support Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an Acer laptop that is unactivated because of a bootlegged Windows install from 4 years ago. I would like to do a clean install using a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PArevalo1997, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC?

I have an Acer laptop that is unactivated because of a bootlegged Windows install from 4 years ago. I would like to do a clean install using a Windows OEM but I'm unsure how to do this safely. I've only seen forums that say clean installs from previously activated PCs so I would like to know how to do this from an unactivated one.

:)

PArevalo1997, Feb 11, 2021

2. Question On OEM Windows clean install......

"Flavors" of Windows licenses

Windows can be a little "odd" about license keys. There are at least 4 categories:
    • Retail
    • OEM
    • Volume (electronic download)
    • Corporate (no key needed)
    For guaranteed success, the license key and media should be in the same category. If you have retail media, you may not be able to install it using an OEM or Volume license key, even though the key is valid for that version of Windows. *Wtf :wtf: Apparently, this is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy scheme (i.e., all customers are guilty until proven innocent).

Static~Charge, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Question On OEM Windows clean install......

Yea, I got that part, was just wondering if the OEM disk/key part was broken down into further catergories, like vendor specific - DELL, HP, etc. ?

What about service packs? I have a retail XP SP1 disk. I recall seeing a way to make a new disk with all the latest SP's. Sorry, rambling off topic here...

Sasqui, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC?

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC?

1. Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC? - Similar Threads - Clean install using

2. Unactivated or oem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unactivated or oem: I want to use windows oem license on my pc even though i want to sell it after a year or so is that ok with microsoft terms or no https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unactivated-or-oem/7a0208c9-a967-41a0-ad2a-c354d79fbdaa
  3. Unactivated or oem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unactivated or oem: I want to use windows oem license on my pc even though i want to sell it after a year or so is that ok with microsoft terms or no https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unactivated-or-oem/7a0208c9-a967-41a0-ad2a-c354d79fbdaa
  4. Unactivated or oem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing Windows 10 Home on my clean SSD, while using an unactivated Windows 10 PRO

Installing Windows 10 Home on my clean SSD, while using an unactivated Windows 10 PRO: Hello!I've recently made hardware changes on my PC new motherboard and CPU and my previous copy of Windows 10 pro updated from a volume licensed Windows 7 is now unactivated. Since i can't get in touch with the previous organization that sold me this PC with my current W10...
  6. Installing unactivated windows before building a PC

Installing unactivated windows before building a PC: Hi, If Windows is installed in one computer and activated on another one, which motherboard gets linked to the license? The reason is, I'm bulding a gaming pc from scratch. I don't have the graphics card yet, but I'd like to start using it as the house server. Because the...
  7. OEM Pre-installed Windows or Clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM Pre-installed Windows or Clean install?: I want to reinstall my device. Should I download Recovery from the Manufacturer's website OR simply from the Microsoft's site??? Which is best and why??? Performance or stability related Thnx...
  8. using an unactivated windows 10

using an unactivated windows 10: hey I've recently downloaded the windows 10 iso image from Microsoft even though I don't have a license key and I started using it I live in a third world country and it's just not possible for me to buy I license key, because the it's price is worth a salary in my country,...
  9. Windows 10 OEM Clean Install

Windows 10 OEM Clean Install: I currently have windows 10 home. If I were to install an OEM version of windows 10 pro, would I have to do a clean install? I've read online that you have to do a clean install if you had windows 7 or 8.1, but do you have to if you already have windows 10? tldr; Already...
  10. New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC

New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC: I am building a new PC from scratch and I have a Retail DVD of Windows 8.1 Pro that is currently not installed on anything. I had bought this DVD right after 8.1 came out, and installed it on another PC that had Windows 7 previously, but then reverted back to Windows 7. So...