Windows 10: Clean install W10 20H2 showed up sfc errors?

Discus and support Clean install W10 20H2 showed up sfc errors? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Probably not the best time of year to be posting, so I'll keep it short*Wink Is it possible to carry out a clean install of W10 (ver. 20H2) on a PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Chris S, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Chris S Win User

Clean install W10 20H2 showed up sfc errors?

Probably not the best time of year to be posting, so I'll keep it short*Wink

Is it possible to carry out a clean install of W10 (ver. 20H2) on a PC and run SFC without it finding faults to fix / repair?
    I have tried doing so twice now, but have not been successful. The first time this happened I was rather surprised to say the least. I was expecting no errors to be found from a clean install. I followed the very helpful instructions on this forum, many thanks for the advice there.

It's a brand new PC, I added my own OS.
    Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400g
    RAM: 16GB (2 x 8 sticks) Gammix D10 3200Hz

Thanks in advance.
    Merry Christmas.

:)

Chris S, Dec 24, 2020
  2. Morku Win User

20H2 system files corrupted on a clean Windows installation sfc /scannow

Hi,

I have noticed that sfc /scannow corrected system files. I wonder. So I tested again on a clean Windows 10 20H2 installation and run directly after sfc /scannow.

Preparation for testing:

• I used VMware Workstation 16.0.0
    • I created a new virtual machine with default Windows 10 profile
    • I disabled the Network Adapter, the OS has
      no internet the whole process
    • I used the latest official Windows 10 ISO file Win10_20H2_English_x64.iso (md5: e80f6ce987b2bba288469e7379129e12) Build 19042.508
    • Mounted the ISO in VMware

Installation:

• So I started to install Windows 10
    • Install Now, No product key, Windows 10 Home, Language en-us, install on the unformatted 60GB drive etc.
    • After reboot, I used "no internet" for local Account, name: admin, no password, disabled all the telemetry trash
    After successful start, I started directly cmd.exe with administrator privilegs and run sfc /scannow.

It will found corrupted systems files.

Clean install W10 20H2 showed up sfc errors? [​IMG]

It didn't let me post the log here, so I made a Screenshot.

What is going on here?

I repeated the steps with de_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_x64_dvd_ce126f3b.iso (md5: 35df62707e53c2064641ccd5b91acb8d)

Type license: Enterprise

After repeating the steps above, the result is the same.

Morku, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Morku Win User
    20H2 system files corrupted on a clean Windows installation sfc /scannow

Hi Jediael,

the Thread is not about to fix an issue for myself. I created it to report a general issue with the current Windows 10 20H2 build.

All your links are about to fix issues users may have.

And yes, the ISO I used is downloaded by Microsoft and as you can see I verified the ISO with md5. It's the correct and original ISO.

And yes, "sfc /scannow" will correct corrupted systems files. When I run it a second time, no more errors are found.

The issue is, this is on a clean, fresh install.

I don't need help, the developers need to analyze and verify the issue. Thats why I desribe my steps in detail in inital post.

And sure, I would like to know what is broken out of the box in Windows this time. Maybe you can see in the Log? I can't.

Regards,

Morku, Dec 24, 2020
  4. RPmtl Win User

'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install

I decided to run 'SFC /scannow' on my recent clean install of Windows 10 and was surprised that it reported so many errors that cannot be repaired. I installed on a 256GB Samsung Pro SSD. After trying a few recommended fixes that all failed I decided to do clean install on a second SSD which I just finished doing. The only thing I've done is install Win10 Pro from a USB flash drive, install the motherboard drivers and then let Windows do an update. The update also downloaded and installed the NVidia graphics driver. Then when I ran 'SFC /scannow' the errors were there. Many seem related to the openCL.dll as well as other files that seem related to the Nvidia driver.

I have 4 other PCs running Win10 and they all pass 'SFC /scannow' without any problems.

Have any other folks noticed anything strange about Nvidia drivers?

Next step is to do a refresh install and run 'SFC /scannow' before the video driver installs...

RPmtl, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Clean install W10 20H2 showed up sfc errors? - Similar Threads - Clean install W10

2. Windows 11 Clean Install-SFC Scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Clean Install-SFC Scannow: Windows 11 23H2 22631.3085Earlier this morning, I downloaded the Media Creation tool and made a Windows 11 USB installation drive.Proceeded to do a clean install deleting all my partitions on all my drives. After the install was complete, I then headed over to Windows Update...
  3. after installing w10 clean install and updating wifi only onboard then updating w10 to 20h2...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after installing w10 clean install and updating wifi only onboard then updating w10 to 20h2...: i posted a new topic with the same question as i couldnt reply to DaveM12 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-installing-w10-clean-install-and-updating/1487c3bd-6ffe-4285-888c-d31ade75db54
  4. 20H2 system files corrupted on a clean Windows installation sfc /scannow

20H2 system files corrupted on a clean Windows installation sfc /scannow: Hi, I have noticed that sfc /scannow corrected system files. I wonder. So I tested again on a clean Windows 10 20H2 installation and run directly after sfc /scannow. Preparation for testing: I used VMware Workstation 16.0.0 I created a new virtual machine with default...
  5. SFC returning multiple errors after new clean install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC returning multiple errors after new clean install: Version is 1909, build 18363.535. I did a clean install upgrade from Windows 7 on a desktop PC I built myself around 2012. Boot drive is a Samsung 500Gb SSD. There are other mechanical HDs on the system including 2 external HDs. SFC has been returning multiple errors. I run...
  6. 'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install

'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install: I decided to run 'SFC /scannow' on my recent clean install of Windows 10 and was surprised that it reported so many errors that cannot be repaired. I installed on a 256GB Samsung Pro SSD. After trying a few recommended fixes that all failed I decided to do clean install on a...
  7. SFC detecting corruption after Clean install?

SFC detecting corruption after Clean install?: Hi, I performed a clean install recently and noticed that after I installed drivers I got a sfc corruption when testing my integrity, So I reinstalled windows again and disabled automatic drivers and tested, at first I passed the sfc test, however once I installed the NVidia...
  8. "Errors" found by SFC/SCANNOW after clean install

"Errors" found by SFC/SCANNOW after clean install: After attempting the 1511 upgrade (with disastrous results), I blew away the world and did a clean install of Windows 10, 1511 yesterday. It appears to be better - at least it'll boot consistently and be usable. Last evening, Windows popped up and yowled that it had a bunch...
  9. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...
  10. Cleaning up W10 Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Cleaning up W10 Taskbar: I have set up IE11 as my default browser, MSN as my home page and Outlooks as default email service. The Edge brower, MS mail icons remain on the task bar. Is it best to remover the unused Edge & MS Mail icons from the task bar? If in the future I find the need to reattach...