Windows 10: Clean install W10 on an old machine: what/how to prep?

Discus and support Clean install W10 on an old machine: what/how to prep? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Folks, I've borked my W7 install. Don't ask how: it takes skillz. *Wink Anyhow, rather than reinstalling W7, I figured this is the perfect time to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamc3k, Dec 7, 2015.

1. iamc3k Win User

Clean install W10 on an old machine: what/how to prep?

Folks,

I've borked my W7 install. Don't ask how: it takes skillz. *Wink Anyhow, rather than reinstalling W7, I figured this is the perfect time to perform a clean install of W10. I've found the thread, I've created a USB install stick. Before I take the plunge, I'd like to know what to backup, etc., and how to import it.

I can use Macrium to get a mostly functioning W7. Doing that, I've exported the following onto a spare drive:

1. IE11 bookmarks and cookies.
    2. Windows Live Mail accounts, contacts, and emails.
    3. Documents and photos I want to keep.
    4. Various savegame files. Just because. *Smile
    5. Screenshots of my Control Panel>Add/Remove Program lists, so I can reference what I had installed.

Certain software requires un-licensing so an activation isn't used up. Other software (Microsoft Office 2013, I'm looking at you!) hides its key. I'll try to pry out all those items and save them to the same spare drive.

Having learned a few lessons about User Profile locations, imaging, and the need to keep Windows happy, I'll plan on just having a single drive (an SSD) physically plugged in during the install. Then, I'll use the spare drive to copy files, as needed, after W10 is running.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?
    Is there a better way to prep an old rig for a new OS?

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, Dec 7, 2015

2. Laptop dying - need to transfer Win 10 to replacement machine.

Thanks Andre,

I had an online chat with MS Tech guy and he has suggested that I uninstall the licence on the old W10 machine using the command
    "slmgr.vbs -upk" and then install the licence on the new machine . Obviously I haven't tried this as presumably if this command uninstalls the W10 licence it will render the old system inoperable. And once I've uninstalled the licence on the old machine
    how do I then install it on the new machine which is running W7?

I terms of getting W10 on to the new system a couple of options spring to mind:

1. Go down the Windows 10 upgrade route. Not too keen as would prefer clean installation as need to repartition hdd.

2. Use W10 installation DVD downloaded from MS website about a year back.

In either scenario when does the uninstalled licence get installed? And how? Maybe the 'slmgr' command generates a file to transport it across. I know not. Any help appreciated!

Pidgeonpost, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Windows 10 fails to install on new machine, getting multiple BSOD

Old title: New Machine W10 will not install

I have a new I5 machine straight out of the .box with no OS. I have bought W10 home 64 on a usb stick from Microsoft.

It will not load. it asks what version I want to load (64) does a quick "loading files" and goes to BSOD with a different error message each time.

I've done the BIOS memory check with no failure indication.

I have had to select update as an option but this is not it is a clean install.

lyric030250, Dec 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Don't forget, with Macrium Reflect you can mount the image file you created and then pull individual files/folders from it if you need to. You are not limited to only restoring the entire image.

If you want a completely clean install, boot from the Window 10 USB, select the custom install option, delete all the partitions on the SSD and just install to the unallocated space.

If you have not had Windows 10 on that computer before, don't forget to have a method available to activate Windows 10 after installing. I prefer to run gatherosstate.exe and save the genuineticket.xml as a backup just in case entering a Windows 7/8/8.1 product key fails to activate.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2015
  5. iamc3k Win User
    ^^^
    Great advice, thanks.
    Yeah, Macrium is great. I'd forgotten that I could pull individual files out. I was rather groggy when I made my W10 USB media early this morning and skipped over the need to run gatherosstate.exe on my working W7 install. That would've been an "oops". *Wink

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Dec 7, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, you aren't supposed to need to run gatherosstate.exe with build 10586 (version 1511). You are supposed to be able to enter the product key to activate it. But to me less than a couple minutes of effort is well worth the backup in case entering a product fails for some reason.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install W10 on an old machine: what/how to prep? - Similar Threads - Clean install W10

2. How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine: The old machine is FX6300 on Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 and the new machine is Ryzen 5 5600X on Gigabyte X570X AORUS Ultra. I want to restore a W10 backup onto the new machine I assembled. I have been using a disk utility for quite some time to create backup images and restore...
  3. Can I simplify or eliminate reinstalling old apps after Clean install on an old machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I simplify or eliminate reinstalling old apps after Clean install on an old machine: I will do a clean install of 21H1 on an old machine that cannot update past 1909. Are there steps to take before I do the install to minimize the work of reinstalling all my apps? Does it help at all to move the app programs from C > Program Files and Program Files x86 to...
  4. Clean install with old Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install with old Key: So I'm helping my buddy build a computer since his bricked and wont boot. I have a windows 10 flash drive to help him install the OS. The only key he has though, is the windows 8 key on the sticker on his tower from when he bought his computer back in 2014 then upgraded to...
  5. Need help prepping old computer for donation

Need help prepping old computer for donation: I have an old Gateway MT6707 laptop. It started life with Windows Vista. It's been through every new version of Windows, to include Windows 10 Home. Microsoft surprised me by installing it overnight back when they were giving it away. A couple of years ago, I gave it a new...
  6. Going to W10 on a new machine with old harddrive

Going to W10 on a new machine with old harddrive: I'm upgrading my computer with all new internals, except for the harddrive. The hdd has W7 on it, but i want to install W10 (full version 64 bit) on an SSD. Are there any procedures I need to be aware of to do the this upgrade successfully?...
  7. How to Prep a USED SSD for Windows 10 Clean Install?

How to Prep a USED SSD for Windows 10 Clean Install?: I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB . I got in a pinch with a failing hard drive on another PC and temporarily used this SSD for a short time to hold personal data files. All of those data files have been backed up and I'm ready to re-use this SSD drive for a clean install of...
  8. Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.: Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine it won't activate. I just thought I would report one of my testings. I installed windows 7 retail in the virtual machine and it activated. I upgraded to windows 10 and it activated. I did a clean install of windows 10...
  9. What is a clean install

What is a clean install: I plan to buy W 10 when it comes out if it is not outrageously expensive. I will put it on my laptop which was originally W 8, then updated to W 8.1. I need to know how to prep the laptop. I keep seeing a "clean install" and do not know what that means. I can reformat it if...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...