Windows 10: Clean install while keeping existing partitions?

Discus and support Clean install while keeping existing partitions? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; the tutorial here says to delete all partitions before clean installing windows 10. But I don't want to do that. I just want to reinstall cleanly on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by link626, Jul 7, 2016.

1. link626 Win User

Clean install while keeping existing partitions?

the tutorial here says to delete all partitions before clean installing windows 10. But I don't want to do that.

I just want to reinstall cleanly on the OS partition only.

In the past with win7, when I had an OS and Data partition, I would just reinstall the OS, and my data would be intact.

Can the same be done with Win10 ? keeping my Data partition untouched?

:)

link626, Jul 7, 2016
  2. trbogt Win User

Cannot Change Lock Screen in Windows 10

Hi...You should do a 'Pc Reset' and choose 'Keep existing files'

Perform a Clean PC Reset.... but choose 'Keep existing files'

*john

trbogt, Jul 7, 2016
  3. twegsc04 Win User
    existing windows insiders clean install and activation

*UPDATE* Well it seems that using the key from the link above does work and activates. also I found that if your an insider (after I installed a second time to test) you can skip the key and it will activate using your microsoft account login followed
    by it asking you to verify. ( WORKS BOTH WAYS)!!!!!

twegsc04, Jul 7, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Yes. Just delete the Windows OS partitions. Leave your data partition intact.

topgundcp, Jul 7, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    I would delete all partitions but the data partition or you can end up with a real mish-mash of partitions.

cereberus, Jul 8, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    To me doing a clean install means the drive is in the same condition as received from the factory, absolutely nothing on it. To that end I Copy/Move everything I want to keep, that exists nowhere else, to another drive and assure the discs or downloads of programs I want to install are at hand for installing. Then I use a bootable partitioning program such as GPARTED to wipe the drive clean. Windows, and particularly 10, seems to like it better that way and there's not much to be careful of, just accept the defaults and work with setting it up later as desired.

Berton, Jul 8, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Agreed. Hopefully the data partition is at the end of the disc. If it isn't at the end of the disc, I would move it there. Then install Windows 10 to the unallocated space left in front of the data partition.

NavyLCDR, Jul 8, 2016
  8. 26dipp Win User

I am at the point where a windows 10 pro upgrade is totally stuck - after 3 weeks - and I have to bite the bullet and choose the win 10 reset. Now my PC has 2 drives with several partitions and a dual boot set up.
    Win 10 offers to keep my files and setting but then says, that it will delete everything on the PC, i.e. the whole computer, that did not come with the PC. Does this mean windows 10 will WIPE everything on 2 drives including all data partitions and the other OS?

26dipp, Jul 8, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  10. 26dipp Win User
    I bit the bullet and chose "Reset" in the Win 10 options.
    It leaves other partitions and OSs alone and only pastes a new install onto the existing Windows 10. It recoveres the windows activation key. You will be the disc jokey afterwards to install all your beloved old programms though.

26dipp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install while keeping existing partitions? - Similar Threads - Clean install while

2. How to clean install Windows on one partition and keeping the other partitions unchanged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clean install Windows on one partition and keeping the other partitions unchanged: Hello,I think that it's all in the title.I have a disk with two partitions "C" and "D". Windows is actually installed on the C but as the file system got corrupted, I'd like to do a fresh installation on that partition.I don't want a "real" clean install of Windows, I want to...
  3. How to clean install Windows on one partition and keeping the other partitions unchanged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clean install Windows on one partition and keeping the other partitions unchanged: Hello,I think that it's all in the title.I have a disk with two partitions "C" and "D". Windows is actually installed on the C but as the file system got corrupted, I'd like to do a fresh installation on that partition.I don't want a "real" clean install of Windows, I want to...
  4. Clean install while keeping data and apps

Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  5. Clean install while keeping data and apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  6. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  7. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  8. Clean Install while existing merged partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install while existing merged partitions: Hello all, I am using Windows 10 on a PC. I had merged my non-system partitions for storage. When my system crashed and cannot boot anymore, I decided to go with long due system hard drive increase and bought another SSD. I made a clean install only by disconnecting one of...
  9. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  10. Clean install with existing key

Clean install with existing key: I have my Windows 10 Pro since it was available. It was upgrade from Windows 8.1 pro. I want to do clean install in a few days/weeks with the same key. 2 reasons for this: 1. I cannot pass the November update (10586) - I have tried all tips available (even MS rep spent 6+...