Windows 10: Clean install Win-10 Pro on NVMe

Discus and support Clean install Win-10 Pro on NVMe in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Got a Lenovo Thinkpad P50 with 1TB NVMe and Win-10 Home. Made an image and now would like to clean install my retail Win-10 Pro on it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nkaufman, Dec 27, 2016.

1. nkaufman Win User

Clean install Win-10 Pro on NVMe

Hello,

Got a Lenovo Thinkpad P50 with 1TB NVMe and Win-10 Home.
    Made an image and now would like to clean install my retail Win-10 Pro on it.

What should I keep in mind while installing OS on a NVMe drive?
    Overprovisioning?
    TRIM?
    Win-10 Index disable?
    Win-10 defrag disable?
    etc. etc.

Thanks for your assistance

:)

nkaufman, Dec 27, 2016
  2. LeeB1430 Win User

Safe Mode

Wayne,

No, the problem SSD was a Samsung 840 Pro on a desktop. I was only using the XPS 15 to test getting into safe mode.

But that brings up another problem. There is currently no way to clone an M.2 NVMe SSD on a laptop as no one appears to make a USB 3 to NVMe x4 adapter. One must do an image backup to an external drive and then a restore to the new M.2 NVMe x4 SSD.

Some image backup programs don't support NVMe x4 PCIe and don't work. I have found Macrium Reflect, paid version, does work. And probably Windows 10's recovery as Win 10 supports NVMe in most cases. The only other possible way is to put the NVMe drives in
    a desktop that has multiple M.2 NVMe slots to clone it. My next build will have 3, 1 for it's boot drive and 2 for this sort of work.

Lee

LeeB1430, Dec 27, 2016
  3. Building all new pc from parts with win 10

I have purchased all the parts to build a new system including new drives. The dealer gave me a oem win 10 package (I haven't opened it yet) that looks like it has a cd/dvd in it. I came here and got the default Win 10 Pro key and the assessment and deployment
    kit to be on the safe side. Is this acceptable to Microsoft as it is all new clean parts? Is there anything I need to do in particular to install Win 10?

Note: system specs -> asus z170-ar mobo, 32gb ram, 2x 1 Terabyte drives, cd/dvd/bluray r/w drive, Samsung nvme m.2 256gb sshd, Radeon r9 380x video(have the latest drivers), i5-6600k cpu and 850w psu.

Kenneth_Benson, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

I'll let others more experienced fill in your 'etc. etc.', but the Windows automatic maintenance calls itself Optimise (not Defrag) for a reason - it chooses the most appropriate method for the drive, defrag for an HDD, TRIM for a SSD.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds like the perfect time to try this:
    Windows 10 Start Fresh tool

Then after the fresh start tool cleans all the crapware off, upgrade to Pro by just changing the product key to your Windows 10 Pro product key.

NavyLCDR, Dec 27, 2016
  6. nkaufman Win User
    Thanks. But also would like to move Users folder to Data partition etc. etc. and am wondering if this tool would allow to do that. Know that folder can be moved after Win-10 installation but it has been recommended to do it while installing OS.

nkaufman, Dec 27, 2016
  7. nkaufman Win User
    Thanks.
    So one does not need to do anything to disable any service etc.?
    What else does one need to do to get optimum performance from NVMe drives?

nkaufman, Dec 27, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

Dear NavyLCDR: I totally forgot about the "Start Fresh" tool after seeing it mentioned earlier this summer. How long has it been up and available (if you know)? How did you find it? Thanks very much for the page link: I'll be blogging about this tomorrow. I agree with your assessment that it's a great way to de-gunk any kind of OEM Windows runtime environment.
    Thanks again, and happy holidays.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 27, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't remember when Microsoft introduced it, I think three or four months ago.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install Win-10 Pro on NVMe - Similar Threads - Clean install Pro

2. Clean install of win 11 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install of win 11 pro: I have a laptop running with a digital licence for Win10 Pro. The laptop originally came with Win 10 home but I upgraded to win 10 pro using a key from a win 7 ultimate dvd.Windows update tells me I can update to win 11 pro from my present install and acquire a digital...
  3. Clean install of win 11 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install of win 11 pro: I have a laptop running with a digital licence for Win10 Pro. The laptop originally came with Win 10 home but I upgraded to win 10 pro using a key from a win 7 ultimate dvd.Windows update tells me I can update to win 11 pro from my present install and acquire a digital...
  4. Clean install win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install win 10 Pro: Hello, I'm not a power user or well practiced on or in computing. I have a Lenovo E570 laptop with Win 10Pro V1903 It has two SSD's. I'd like to clean install a new copy of Win 10 Pro. I've got both drives backed up on an external drive. When it comes time to restore...
  5. Clean install win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install win 10 Pro: Hello, I'm not a power user or well practiced on or in computing. I have a Lenovo E570 laptop with Win 10Pro V1903 It has two SSD's. I'd like to clean install a new copy of Win 10 Pro. I've got both drives backed up on an external drive. When it comes time to restore...
  6. WIN 10 Installer can't NVMe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WIN 10 Installer can't NVMe: morning, i have a stupid problem. I have a Crucial P1 500GB NVMe + GB B450 Gaming X + Ryzen 5 3600. If I boot it at linux i got nice access to my nvme but if i try to install win 10 on it, it didn't show up :( I can't find any drivers for the nvm on the crucial website....
  7. Clean Install Windows 10 on NVMe SSD

Clean Install Windows 10 on NVMe SSD: My system specs are as follows: Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Version 1909 Build 18363.778 I'd like to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on my laptop, which has an Intel NVMe SSD installed as its only drive. On an HDD, I'd simply use Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) or a similar...
  8. Clean install of win 10 ?

Clean install of win 10 ?: Hi guys;i could never do a Clean a install of win10 preview on my PC's from a DVD ISO, i get stuck here, see pic; although i can upgrade from win 7 to win 10. the DVD ISO i made was from MS. Image codes: DSC02178 4374
  9. Win 10 Pro BootCamp Clean Install Size!

Win 10 Pro BootCamp Clean Install Size!: Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum and I am looking for your assistant. I have successfully installed Win 10 Pro 64 Bit on my iMac through BootCamp, I assigned 40 GB for BootCamp partition, but what I noticed after Windows finished the installation and logged...
  10. Clean WIn 10 Pro Install

Clean WIn 10 Pro Install: Got a new dell with Win 10 Pro. I am putting in a new SSD and want to do a clean install. Is this the correct MS download? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 It downloads the media creation tool. Then options are Win 10, Win 10 Home, and Win 10 N....