Windows 10: Clean install Win 10 problem: Windows could not prepare the computer..

Discus and support Clean install Win 10 problem: Windows could not prepare the computer.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I am currently trying to clean install Windows 10 Home Single Language version 1809 64-bit in my Lenovo laptop. I have created the bootable USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kizuran, Mar 7, 2019.

1. kizuran Win User

Clean install Win 10 problem: Windows could not prepare the computer..

Hello!

I am currently trying to clean install Windows 10 Home Single Language version 1809 64-bit in my Lenovo laptop. I have created the bootable USB with the Media Creation Tool and started the process. I booted with the USB, and followed every steps provided in the tutorial in Clean Install Windows 10 | Tutorials but it failed. It did the 'copying windows files', 'getting files ready', 'installing features', and 'installing updates' (which I presumed is skipped because I was not connected to the internet) but after the 'finishing up' part, it cancelled the installation and showed the pop-up "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

I have already tried repeating the steps about 4 times and it still failed. But my C: drive (the OS drive) is already deleted and therefore I can't use my old OS.

Does anybody have any steps I can follow to solve this problem? If anybody can help me, I would be very thankful! Or if somebody needed more info to solve the problem, I would provide those!

:)

kizuran, Mar 7, 2019
  2. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Clean install Win 10 problem: Windows could not prepare the computer.. ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Mar 7, 2019
  3. kajson Win User
    Win 10 clean install question

Hello everyone,

my brother in law has bought a new computer yesterday still with win 8.1 on it, which he'll be upgrading to windows 10. I'm guessing non pro edition. So far I've determined that if you want to do a clean install after the upgrade you don't use an updated productkey, rather microsoft registers somehow your hardware id and auto activates.

Now here's my worry, the computer isn't coming with an ssd, and I'm building that in tommorow, and I want to do the clean install on the ssd understandably.
    My question is, will this alter the hardware ID in such a way that Win 10 won't activate anymore. I know there's a 30 day grace period to fix things, but I'd rather get everything right straight away.
    I'm also wondering if I can just format the former system drive after win 10 has been activated on the SSD or if this will screw up some activation logging file or whatever other important stuff they've somehow left on the older installation.

If it doesnt activate it would mean I'd have to get into contact with microsofts help desk, which I reckon will be extremely hard to reach anyways, and my experience with them hasn't been great sofar.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on the matter. I'm sure more people are debating a form of this conundrum.

kajson, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Clean install Win 10 problem: Windows could not prepare the computer.. - Similar Threads - Clean install problem

2. " Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    " Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To...: Hi I have a Lenovo M73z AIO computer that crashed and I'm trying reinstall Windows 10 however when it reaches the Finishing up stage it states that" Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows, restart the...
  3. " Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    " Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To...: Hi I have a Lenovo M73z AIO computer that crashed and I'm trying reinstall Windows 10 however when it reaches the Finishing up stage it states that" Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows, restart the...
  4. Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation: * not duplicated *Hello,I have 2 disks on my Laptop - HP Pavilion Gaming 15 with Legacy boot disabled as it should be. Disk 0 is 1tb and it's empty. Disk 1 is 256gb has some partitions that I won't delete. I want to install Windows 10 on Disk 0. I made my usb with rufus, the...
  5. Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation: * not duplicated *Hello,I have 2 disks on my Laptop - HP Pavilion Gaming 15 with Legacy boot disabled as it should be. Disk 0 is 1tb and it's empty. Disk 1 is 256gb has some partitions that I won't delete. I want to install Windows 10 on Disk 0. I made my usb with rufus, the...
  6. Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation: I've been trying to fix this for like 7 hours now. so I got arch Linux running on my SSD and wanted to add windows. downloaded the windows iso file and put it on a USB. install failed. tried a different program. install failed. tried a different usb drive : install failed....
  7. How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10

How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10: I. What to know in advance: 1- There is no 'one best way' to do a clean install. There are as many different approaches as there are different personalities. The internet is filled with detailed instructions for performing a clean install. When doing your research on the...
  8. Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into next phase of installation. To Install...

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into next phase of installation. To Install...: I’ve tried to install Windows 10 onto my iMac 2017 (using boot camp assistant) over 20X. I was successful the first 3 times. But when I updated Windows 10 (inside the Windows 10 environment, or updated the Apple components from the Apple Software Update also inside Windows...
  9. Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation: My girlfriend's computer, which is a Lenovo Legion, started an odd cycle over the weekend. She had the computer turned off, then attempted to turn it on and saw that Automatic Repair launched. Automatic Repair said that it couldn't repair the PC and said that there was more...
  10. Win 10 Clean install problem

Win 10 Clean install problem: Hi, new member seeking help. I removed a bad HDD, noisy but working, and replaced it with an SSD and tried a few times to install Win 10 without success. It completes then says it will reboot in 10 seconds and when it does it starts the process over and over. I did a lot...