Windows 10: Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD with new Motherboard

Discus and support Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD with new Motherboard in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm getting new Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-ZA170 Gaming K3-EU) and new SSD (SanDisk 120GB) tommorow. I've had Windows 10 x64... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Relax, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Relax Win User

Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD with new Motherboard

Hello everyone,

I'm getting new Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-ZA170 Gaming K3-EU) and new SSD (SanDisk 120GB) tommorow.
    I've had Windows 10 x64 installed on my HDD until now and I'm planning to clean install it onto my SSD and remove it from HDD and use my HDD for pictures, videos and other files that do not benefit from SSD speeds that much.

I'm not sure how I should do this, I've installed Windows to HDD many times but I've always had only 1 HDD and now I'll have 1 HDD and 1 SSD so that's the first thing that I'm not sure how to go with. Can I have both, SSD and HDD, plugged at the same time and just format my HDD and create 1 partition on it and then select the unallocated space of my SSD and just click Next to begin the installation or how should I do it?

And for the second thing that I'm not sure about is the motherboard which has UEFI, I've never had motherboard with UEFI before so I'm not sure if that changes anything? What should I select in Rufus when making bootable usb? Also is there something that I should change in UEFI settings for SSD or not? Because I searched on some forums and found this: https://i.imgur.com/vG2eETA.png I'm not quite sure what that does and whether or not should I do it?

:)

Relax, Oct 8, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10

OK, if you use your current HDD with Windows 10 installed on it on the new motherboard, Windows will load some of the new drivers required for the new motherboard when it starts up. You will have to install any other drivers that are required for the new
    motherboard.

You do not need to uninstall drivers, they will not be loaded by Windows if not required on the new motherboard

Yes, you will have to purchase Windows 10 for your new motherboard. Make sure you activate it, then when you get your new M2 SSD, you can clean install Windows 10 onto that and it will activate automatically on the new M2 SSD as your new motherboard will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft servers

DaveM121, Oct 8, 2016
  3. Transferring my Windows license

I recently got a new motherboard, cpu and ssd, so I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the ssd. On my old hard drive it said I had a digital license, but I have no idea how to activated it on my new installation of Windows.

ErichMarais, Oct 8, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Create bootable usb stick using this link and it will handle uefi automatically.

Windows 10

Boot from usb and install to ssd. Do not have hdd plugged in at same time or you will tangle things up.

Also, as a new mobo, you will need to transfer licence from old mobo. How did you install Windows 10?

cereberus, Oct 8, 2016
  5. Relax Win User
    I'm doing it with torrented iso and using rufus for creating bootable usb, that's how many people told me to do and that's how I've been doing it before for HDDs, they told me to set "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" and set FAT32, but idk how to set SSD to GPT and whether or not it will set it automatically that way

If I don't have HDD plugged at the time of installation do I just format it afterwards within Windows or...?

Relax, Oct 8, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Rufus is completely unnecessary. Here's the way to get you a good, clean, universally bootable USB flash drive:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9 make sure to use FAT32 file system to be compatible with UEFI firmware (as well as legacy bios):
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12, mount the Windows 10 installation ISO file and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

Disconnect the HDD, boot the computer from the USB flash drive with only the SSD connected. Select the custom install option in Windows setup. It should show the SSD as unallocated space. If there are any partitions on the SSD, delete each one until you get to one big unallocated space. Select the unallocated space to install to and let Windows setup everything.

When Windows installation is done on the SSD, then you can reconnect the HDD. I like to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Backup whatever you want to save from the HDD, and use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to wipe the HDD, convert it to GPT, and make whatever partitions you want on it.

The reason you disconnect the HDD when you install Windows to the SSD is because Windows setup will detect the boot files existing on the HDD and modify the existing files instead of creating new boot files on the SSD. Then when you wipe the HDD to use it for storage, you will also erase the boot files and your computer won't boot.

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2016
  7. Relax Win User
    But what if I leave it plugged in and just format it once I boot into USB drive before selecting SSD for installation?
    Since I already made a backup of stuff that I need from it to an external hard drive I can format/wipe it on installation screen, will the problems of boot files be avoided that way?

Relax, Oct 8, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

That should be OK, I have that setup on my lappy - and have both SSD and HDD bootable ( viz. as backup.. should the first fail, change boot disk from bios)

Superfly, Oct 8, 2016
  9. Relax Win User
    You misunderstood me, I don't want my HDD to be bootable, I want it to be completely wiped and empty after installation is done, I just want to avoide unplugging and plugging hdd back in after installation by formating it once I boot into USB via installation screen.

Relax, Oct 8, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    It won't be bootable - I extended mine to the HDD for the reasons given. But remove it to be sure you don't get boot files plonked there.

Superfly, Oct 8, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    You are confusing what you were told to do to make a Rufus USB Drive Bootable and what you need to do when you install Windows which is nothing... Windows 10 will set the disk GPT and install the 4 partitions it needs on a clean SSD with no partitions. (Delete all partitions when given the chance if you make some already.

It is best just to unplug the power to the HDD during win10 install , then plug it back in and simply Format the Drive in Win 10 if that is what you want to do , you are after all building a new system so the case is already open etc and it's not a big deal to do and it can avoid many hassles.

Why are you Torrenting an ISO when you can simply download a Clean Win10 Iso from Microsoft with no fear of Virus's or similar ?

KB

Kbird, Oct 9, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You still have the chance of the boot files getting put onto the HDD if the bios/UEFI is still set to boot from the HDD first. You can leave the HDD unallocated, install to the unallocated space on the SSD, and then when you boot into Windows look in disk management and see if there are any partitions on the HDD - there should not be. Then you can create partition(s) on the HDD and format them. If you see a partition on the HDD that Windows setup created, that is probably where the boot files ended up and you'll have to go back into bios/UEFI and set the SSD as the first boot device and either move the boot files over or re-install Windows.

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2016
  13. Relax Win User

With all these "This might or might not happen stuff, boot files may or may not go on HDD" I'll probably just go ahead and unplug it just to be sure lol

Relax, Oct 9, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    A lot of people have gotten burned in the past by leaving them plugged in, that's why we suggest not to.

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2016
  15. Winuser Win User
    Having the boot files on the same drive will make it easier to repair in the need ever arises. I know from personal experience. *Smile

Winuser, Oct 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD with new Motherboard - Similar Threads - Clean install SSD

2. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over 500 gigs of worth, I don't want to re-download them again on slow internet connection it will be...
  3. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  4. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  5. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  6. Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD

Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD: Howdy, I want to do a nice fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD but am just a bit confused on how I should go about it and what it entails. To be specific, I have 4 drives (2 HDD, 2 SSD) in my PC and was wondering if the data is kept on the other 3 drives (that...
  7. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  8. Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD

Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD: I have a Samsung Laptop which had Windows 7 on it. I have replaced the HDD with a new, unused SSD (500Gb). I then tried installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB created using the Microsoft tool. I changed the boot order to USB 1st, and set the SATA Mode to AHCI manually....
  9. Clean install of 10 on new SSD

Clean install of 10 on new SSD: I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar. My first question...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...