Windows 10: Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD & Data on Hard Drive

Discus and support Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD & Data on Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 7 on a SSD and my User files, programs, and data on a 1TB hard drive. I plan on doing a clean install and want to keep the same setup.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Moolah, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Moolah Win User

Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD & Data on Hard Drive

I have Windows 7 on a SSD and my User files, programs, and data on a 1TB hard drive. I plan on doing a clean install and want to keep the same setup. Do I need to format the hard drive also? If not, how do I install Win 10 & put the User files on the hard drive?

:)

Moolah, Jul 14, 2016

2. Post Win 10 'anniversary edition' re-install instructions? (August 2016)

Thank you Sumit

I presently have two drives in my PC :

The C drive is a 256Gb SSD (Windows 10 Pro)

The D drive is a 2TB Seagate hard drive. (Data)

I am thinking of disconnecting the SSD drive, and just using the 2Tb drive - or even upgrading to a larger hard drive.

Will that affect me if I carry out the clean Windows 10 install using my .iso DVD, will it activate - or is there a better way to proceed?

Thanks

ol' Codger, Jul 14, 2016
  3. YuanSR Win User
    Adding a SSD as C: Drive

Hi,

To move the OS, you need some cloning tools indeed. Otherwise, you have to do clean install. Normally, my suggestion is to install SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Yet you got Windows 10 from Windows 8.

To my knowledge, the registry information is connected with your motherboard instead of the hard drive. So change a hard drive won't go bad.

Give Aomei Partition Assistant a shot. There is a "migrate OS to SSD" feature which can move OS drive including installed programs to SSD. Then remove
    your current hard drive to test if you can boot Windows 10 from SSD.

Always backup important data. Regards.

YuanSR, Jul 14, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Well firstly it makes no sense to have OS on ssd and programs on hdd unless ssd is tiny. Rather defeats point of having an ssd.

Copy all data in user directories to another directory.

Upgrade or clean install windows 10 on ssd.

Use settings storage option to use hdd for user data etc.

Copy the data back to user directories.

You will have to reinstall programs if not portable ie make registry changes e.g. MS Office.

cereberus, Jul 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD & Data on Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Clean Install SSD

2. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.: Unable to boot, getting the following error message from startup repair;Startup repair Log File: D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Tried to use all other methods found, none have worked....
  3. Is it possible to recover cleaned hard drive data for free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to recover cleaned hard drive data for free?: The title says it all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-recover-cleaned-hard-drive-data/dabb9d9d-bc8d-43df-bdc3-e48308ffad94
  4. Is it possible to recover cleaned hard drive data for free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to recover cleaned hard drive data for free?: The title says it all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-recover-cleaned-hard-drive-data/dabb9d9d-bc8d-43df-bdc3-e48308ffad94
  5. Windows Install not working on Clean Hard drive SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Install not working on Clean Hard drive SSD: Hi I've spent the last few hours trying to work out what is going on here: maybe someone can help? I've got a brand new Kingston SSD and trying to get Windows install on it my old SSD works absolutely fine, and I can plug it back up and boot Windows fine on my custom pc I...
  6. windows 10 on a clean hard drive

windows 10 on a clean hard drive: Failed hard drive put in new hard drive how do I get windows 10 loaded. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-a-clean-hard-drive/da8258f3-7d2a-412f-8f4b-f2cc91b483e1
  7. Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive

Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive: I dropped my laptop which has smashed my HDD. Ordered a replacement HDD but unfortunately I do not have a back up USB. What are my options for installing windows 10 from new onto the new hard drive? Laptop sony vaio will boot up in BIOS. Any advice would be very welcome....
  8. Clean Installation questions and SSD drives

Clean Installation questions and SSD drives: Ive just got a new PC with a 128gb SSD and a 1 Terabyte Data drive. Ive never had an SSD drive before so this is new to me. If I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive to clean install Windows 10....what are the differences to be aware of as regards...
  9. Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive

Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive: I have a PC with two HDs. I have some corrupted OS files and will be re-installing Windows 10 as a clean install. Presently, the OS in on the smaller drive and I have the OS set so that data is stored on the second larger drive. I am replacing the smaller drive with SSD on...
  10. Upgrading SSD hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows 10

Upgrading SSD hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows 10: I have a laptop and a desktop with a 120 gig ssd and a 64 gig SSD respectively. Both computers have conventional hard drives as drive D. I have two 250 gig SSD's on the way. What is the best strategy for moving to the new SSD's and preforming the clean install of Windows 10....