Windows 10: Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Discus and support Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, here's what went down w/ my laptop: It's a Windows 10 ASUS X540UA-DS51 laptop. The hard drive got corrupted, to the point where it cannot even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by S.a.N, May 9, 2019.

1. S.a.N Win User

Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Hey, here's what went down w/ my laptop:

It's a Windows 10 ASUS X540UA-DS51 laptop.

The hard drive got corrupted, to the point where it cannot even recognize that there's a C: drive, only the emergency X: drive (I know it's part of the C: drive). And no, I did not back up anything. My fault.

I already put a windows 10 installer on my external hard drive.

Here's the thing:

I was following a tutorial on how to clean install. It said to remove all partitions of the hard drive in order for an unallocated space partition to appear, and I remove all of them as told, and the only thing that remained was my external hard drive partition.

But it's weird. Sometimes when I restart, either:

• All partitions for disk 0 either miraculously reappear
    • Just one disk 0 partition for unallocated space, except for the fact that the partition is 0.0mb.

Either way, there are 2 common problems:

• When I refresh, all instances of disk 0 partitions disappear, leaving me with the disk 1 (external hard drive) partitions
    • When I click the New button (only available if there's only a drive 0 unallocated space partition of 0.0mb) and attempt to put in a predetermined amount of megabytes (I kno u're supposed to put it gigabyte amounts, just converted into mb), the computer insists that I need to chose 0mb in order to create a new partition, and even then I still can't select apply.

I'll break it down:

GOOD:

• Laptop can boot.
    • Can press esc to bring up the boot option menu to either my ext. hard drive, Windows 10 (just the WinRE), or ASUS BIOS UEFI.
    • Can access the WinRE menu.
    • Can access diskpart.
    • Diskpart can clean the disk.
      • What it shows for disk 0 (internal hard drive) & disk 1 (external hard drive) for list disk:
    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    Disk 0 Online 931GB 0B *
    Disk 1 Online 931GB 899GB

• What it shows for list volume (I think the last volume/volume 4 is the ext. hard drive):
    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    Volume 0 E DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
    Volume 1 C RAW Partition 930GB Healthy
    Volume 2 RAW Partition 800MB Healthy
    Volume 3 RAW Partition 260MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 4 D ESD-USB FAT32 Partition 32GB Healthy

• What it shows for list partition (after selecting disk 0):
    Partition ### Type Size Offset
    Partition 1 System 260MB 1024KB
    Partition 2 Reserved 16MB 261MB
    Partition 3 Primary 930GB 277MB
    Partition 4 Recovery 800MB 930GB

• Can get to the Windows 10 setup.
    • Even tho I deleted the partitions, they miraculously reappear after several bootups

WEIRD:

• Seems to consider what's supposed to be the C: drive the "D:" drive, and substitutes my external hard drive as a "C:" drive.

BAD:

• Computer usually takes a WHILE to boot up. Sometimes I have to turn off and try again if nothing shows.
      • Is this a remnant trait of previous hard drive corruption? (I swore it mighta been a display driver issue, as I was able to go on my regular desktop one last time, but it was incredibly laggy and there was scrambled text under shortcut icons, windows explorer, etc.)
    • Cannot use chkdsk.
    • Diskpart cannot create a partition
    • Diskpart cannot format a volume
    • The 'format fs=ntfs' and 'format fs=ntfs quick' diskpart inputs don't work
    • None of the disk 0 partitions are usable.
    • Unable to use system restore
    • Unable to go to previous version
    • Unable to use startup repair
    • Unable to use system image recovery
    • Startup options is gone.
    • Can't format any of the disk 0 partitions, whether it be the Windows Setup or the cmd prompt. In fact, it shows that it's "Error: 0x80070057".
    • The message "Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition X." shows up for every drive 0 partition, except the third one. Here's the info:

Name

Total size

Free space

Type

• Drive 0 Partition 1

• 260.0mb

• 0.0mb

• System
    • Drive 0 Partition 2

• 16.0mb

• 0.0mb

• MSR (Reserved)
    • Drive 0 Partition 3

• 930.5gb

• 930.5gb

• Primary
    • Drive 0 Partition 4

• 800.0mb

• 800.0mb

• Recovery
    • Clicking Refresh removes all instances of Drive 0's partitions. If I 1st delete all drive 0 partitions, turn off the laptop, and then boot on the computer again and return to the "Where do you want to install Windows" step during Windows Setup, it shows a Drive 0 Unallocated space, except both total size and free space are 0.0mb. This cycle of weirdness comes full circle when I turn off & turn on the laptop only to find all 4 drive 0 partitions back on the menu again.
      • A small "Good": When there's only unallocated space available for drive 0, the New button is selectable...
      • ...Only to find out I cannot make another partition. Windows 10 insists that 0.0mb is the way to go for a partition, except even setting it zero still does nothing (of course). them at first, all 4 partitions of disk 0 still pop somehow.
    • My ASUS laptop has an optic drive, but because of its current state, it is unable to open up.
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 option (yes, I tried it, even tho Windows 10 is already in the hard drive) doesn't work.

UNSURE:

• Unable to convert GPT to MBE. I know GPT is pretty much the "UEFI" to how MBE is pretty much the "BIOS" in a sense, it terms of new and old software. Not even sure if this is the source of the issue.
    • Load driver option under "Where do you want to install Windows?" menu is unselectable. Don't think I need to use this.
    • Extend option is same as above, except I'm unsure if I need to use it.
    • When I use diskpart to list vdisk, there are no virtual disks to show. Not sure if this needed for my situation.

I got some questions:

• How can I make a valid partition in order to proceed the clean install?
    • I heard that you may need to unplug your ext. hard drive (the same one that contains the windows 10 install media) at some point. At what point do I unplug my external hard drive exactly? The moment after I get past the partition step? When I unplug before the partition step, the installation requests me to have a media driver inserted...
      • What's strange is this: There's a note that states that if the install media is in the DVD drive or USB drive (which it is), you can safely remove it for this step. Which I did...so now I'm unable to get past the "Select the driver to install" screen...
      • ...unless I go back to the windows 10 setup, plug my ext. drive back in, and return to the partition issue once more.
    • I see that there's a Product Key step that's supposed to occur before the partition setup. I have never seen that window pop-up yet during all my attempts to install Windows 10 onto my ASUS laptop. Is it because my product key is still intact? I'm guessing I can see it when I boot up the ASUS UEFI BIOS?

Other notes:

I'm using my older HP laptop to type this up, & it was also used to install the media creation tool onto my external hard drive.

AS OF NOW:

Windows Setup is....setup on my laptop.

The 4 Drive 0 partitions are up on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" step.

The message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files." is sitting at the bottom of the window thereafter I selected drive 0 partition 3 and attempted to click Next.

:)

S.a.N, May 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

If I do a clean install of Windows 10, will it mess up the partitions I have on my 2TB drive?

MxPhenom 216, May 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

I had no issues upgrading from your exact OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10. All my partitions from 2 SSD's and 3 HDD's were fine. Windows 10 even kept the custom names I have for the various drives. A clean install on your SSD shouldn't affect your 2TB drive.

InhaleOblivion, May 9, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue - Similar Threads - Clean Install partition

2. Partitioning on clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning on clean install windows 11: When reinstalling windows 11 , on the screen where you can delete partitions , I delete them all and then have unallocated space…. From that point do I just click Next to install or do I create new partitions and then begin install. Thanks...
  3. Partitioning on clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning on clean install windows 11: When reinstalling windows 11 , on the screen where you can delete partitions , I delete them all and then have unallocated space…. From that point do I just click Next to install or do I create new partitions and then begin install. Thanks...
  4. Clean Install - Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  5. Clean Windows 10 install issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Windows 10 install issues: Hello all, I just finished my first PC build: https://newegg.io/056075b As a professional software engineer, I thought for sure that installing the operating system would be the easiest part of the build for me. However, I have spent nearly 20 unbelievably frustrating hours...
  6. Clean Windows 10 installation issues.

Clean Windows 10 installation issues.: I am attempting to do a reformat and clean install booting fromW10 USB. When its all done and Windows is ready I still have my old desktop wallpaper and a bunch of desktop files showing. I have gone through the process twice and used the Custom installation option and...
  7. Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions

Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions: Hello Two desktop computers each running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I tried to copy an image of the source C: drive to the target C: drive and ran into issues and, I think, in the process messed up the source drive partition table. So I tried to do a clean install of Windows...
  8. [help with partition] Clean installing windows 10

[help with partition] Clean installing windows 10: Hi I recently upgraded my laptop, specifically "Acer aspire v5-473pg" into windows 10 and now I'm trying to do a clean install. The problem is there's a lot of partition on the partition menu when proceeding into a clean install and I don't know a lot about them. My laptop...
  9. Clean install on a pre-installed windows 10 laptop (partitions)

Clean install on a pre-installed windows 10 laptop (partitions): Hi everybody, The reason I am seeking your help today is that I'm trying to do an clean install on my freshly bough Asus Zenbook UX330UAK which came with a pre-installed windows 10 loaded with bloatware. Now I know that it's touchy to mess with windows 10 pre-installed...
  10. Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions

Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions: Hi everyone, i've upgraded from windows 8.1 with uefi bios, so basically now i can do clean install 10 without product key? But the real question is: My pc have 8 partitions, the primary one, 5 of recovery, 1 oem and 1 efi. Can i delete all partitions and create only one?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install win 10 partition

2. unable to down load Window 10 updates because system reserved partition