Windows 10: clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI

Discus and support clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an existing Windows 10 Pro installation. My partitions are: system reserved: 500 mb C: boot, page file, primary partition E: logical drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by marymmcc, Sep 16, 2016.

1. marymmcc Win User

clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI

I have an existing Windows 10 Pro installation. My partitions are:
    system reserved: 500 mb
    C: boot, page file, primary partition
    E: logical drive
    F: logical drive
    I would like to do a clean install with WIN 10 Anniversary Update (1607), and convert my disk from BIOS to UEFI.
    What modifications would i need to do to GPTgen while upgrading and maintaining my programs and data?

Thanks

:)

marymmcc, Sep 16, 2016

2. windows can not be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu

Unplug all other drives and peripherals.

Enter BIOS setup or UEFI Firmware by tapping key given on first screen, confirm SATA controller is set to AHCI, make note of any settings for UEFI, Legacy BIOS, CSM, Secure Boot and BIOS Boot Priority orders. Report back.

If you have a modern UEFI BIOS then the installation flash stick must be specially formatted by

Media Creation Tool
    or
    Rufus
    for UEFI install to GPT disk. Then it must be booted as a UEFI flash stick in the BIOS Boot Menu, or it will not install.

During the booted install, delete all partitions to reset disk formatting. If this is not enough then press Shift + F10 at first screen when booting installer, open Command Prompt, run

Diskpart Clean Command

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 16, 2016
  3. Installing and booting windows 10 on a GPT partition

Do you have a UEFI BIOS? This is the only way you can install Windows to a GPT disk, otherwise it can only be used to intialize data disks, especially if you want them to be larger than the 2tb limit Windows has for MBR (Legacy BIOS) disks.

GPT vs MBR Disk Comparison

To find this out, type msinfo in Start Search, in System Information look at the BIOS type. If MBR you most likely have Legacy BIOS. But you can boot into BIOS setup to check for UEFI settings that may be disabled, or CSM/Legacy BIOS that may be disabled.
    To install to UEFI one must also boot the installation media as a UEFI device.

More here:
    Clean Install Windows 10

and here:
    UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 16, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Modifications....none.

Windows 10 already utilizes GPT partitioning....on a clean install. The only thing you would need to do is change your BIOS firmware from Legacy BIOS to UEFI BIOS. You will need to confirm that in your BIOS. Or to check with in windows.....in the search bar of cortana, type system information and when the window pops up, scroll down to BIOS mode......here's mine.

clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion  BIOS to UEFI [​IMG]

Plankton, Sep 16, 2016
  5. marymmcc Win User
    Can I do a clean install AND keep my programs and data? with GPTgen?

marymmcc, Sep 16, 2016
  6. Plankton Win User
    No....a clean install is just that, a clean install. It wipes/formats the HDD/SSD of everything. If you have any data you want to keep....back it up/save it.

Plankton, Sep 16, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    You would have to update as legacy bios first, then it is possible to make an image backup of c drive using Macrium Reflect Free, clean install windows 10 in uefi mode,and then restore C drive overwriting clean installed partition.

You might need to repair the boot files but Macrium will do that as well.

cereberus, Sep 16, 2016
  8. marymmcc Win User

Cereberus, is there a link with those Macrium instructions, including the boot file repair? Doesn't overwriting the clean install negate the clean install?

marymmcc, Sep 16, 2016
  9. Saltgrass Win User
    There may be some crossover misunderstandings as to what is what. A hard drive is either configured as Legacy (MBR) or GPT.

A UEFI install can only be done to a GPT configured drive which has different critical partitions than a Legacy install.

There are ways to convert over but can be dangerous.

And the last thing is if you have activated a Legacy install of Windows 10, can you do a clean install as UEFI and get it to activate... I don't know.

Saltgrass, Sep 17, 2016
  10. pbcopter Win User
    Activation is no issue. If it was activated, it will remain so once the clean install is completed. MBR or UEFI does not matter.

pbcopter, Sep 17, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Many guides on web and youtube how to create an image backup using Macrium.

First shrink C drive by say 1 GB to create a bit of space.

Then make image backup of pc to another drive.

I will assume you have got this far.

Run Macrium and select "other tasks" and create a menu boot entry.

Boot PC and select Macrium from dual boot option. See video link (unfortunately it does not record cursor, so I will try and explain in words).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8_16_31_28.wmv

Click on Restore, and click "browse for image file", and navigate to your image backup

Click on C drive and click on actions that pops up and select "restore this partition"

You will see destination disk in lower window of next screen

Click on C drive, and click "delete existing partition"

Click on C drive in upper image Source and drag to free space where C drive was on destination.

The click next etc, and restore C partition.

When it has restored, select "restore tab", click "fix windows boot problems" and then click next, finish.

cereberus, Sep 17, 2016
  12. Kbird Win User
    Yes it does but it is how you get the required GPT Partitions made for you AND save all your Data....

This is my writeup from about 2 months ago.....

Solved Small Wrinkle in Anniversary Update....MBR Disk - Windows 10 Forums

I have since made a Macrium Image of my 1st 3 GPT partitions so I can use it instead of reinstalling Win10 to get them in the future.

There is a link in the Post above to a copy of Topgun's 3 partition image, you can use if you don't want to reinstall Win10 , ie save time. Topgun's file took about 40 secs to restore. You could make your own on another computer too if it has GPT partitions.

KB

Kbird, Sep 17, 2016
  13. marymmcc Win User

Thanks for everyone's input, and especially to Cereberus and Kbird for their solutions.
    I will report back once I have performed the conversion.

marymmcc, Sep 18, 2016
  14. Kbird Win User
    What I had to do may not apply directly to you situation , so ask questions if you need to .....

good luck

KB.

Kbird, Sep 18, 2016
  15. Haxcid Win User
    Haxcid, Sep 21, 2016
Thema:

1. clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI - Similar Threads - clean install anniversary

2. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  3. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  4. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Clean Install of Windows 10 After UEFI bios Update?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clean Install of Windows 10 After UEFI bios Update?: Been Experiencing Slow File Transfers with USB 3.2 Gen 1 Ports, Contacted Gigabyte esupport, there response was if after updating F5D Uefi bios a clean install wasn't done, We suggest you do that, and update all the drivers, and supposely might make USB file transfers work...
  6. MBR to UEFI conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to UEFI conversion: When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and file size is 512 bytes....
  7. updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10: -So I had an issue with my PC, "personalised settings (not responding)". I found out its to do with my RAM and that updating "motherboard BIOS (update) changes how the hardware and memory addressing space is accessed, this has a big influence on Windows" .-I spoke to MSI...
  8. Anniversary Update - Clean Install - First Impressions

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - Clean Install - First Impressions: My first impressions: Pros: Seems a bit faster overall - I did a complete system image backup in 00:02:09 (previously took 00:02:35) OS install uses less space (at least for my installation) Event viewer shows no new instances (I had two known issues before and they are...
  9. Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?

Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?: Hello, currently I have the upgraded Windows 10 Pro Spanish 32-bit activated from Windows 7 Spanish OEM 32-bit on a 2011 HP ProBook 6550b LATAM which I guess has the digital entitlement since no keys were entered. I would like to clean install & format the drive using the USB...
  10. Clean Install of Windows 10 including Anniversary Update

Clean Install of Windows 10 including Anniversary Update: I have a problem after installing the Anniversary Update of Windows 10. This post concerns the process which involves a clean re-install of Windows 10 by the method which includes downloading and running Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, choosing "Create Media for another PC"....