Windows 10: Clean install with existing key

Discus and support Clean install with existing key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It is perfectly legal to use Windows 10 without activating it. That is exactly the reason Microsoft built the reduced functionality into it. Also an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fwitkowski, Jun 7, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Clean install with existing key

I WAS WRONG ON THIS! This is from the Windows 10 EULA:

5. Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to confirm the software is genuine and the license is associated with the licensed device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone.

NavyLCDR, Jun 10, 2016
  2. tengeezer Win User

Hang on a second - does this part of the EULA refer to Insider builds as well, or just retail?

tengeezer, Jun 10, 2016
  3. I agree with Superfly - do a Clean install: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
    You have an existing digital entitlement because you previously upgraded, so skip any install pane that asks for a key.

Connect the new SSD and when you get to the Where do you want to install phase, make sure the drive is empty.

Just a precautionary comment ... one member recently got a new SSD and there was a partition on the drive. Having a partition on the drive does not allow Windows install to initialize it. I suppose it's only an issue if your system is UEFI based firmware.

The other member just had to re-install and make sure the drive was empty.

Slartybart, Jun 10, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I'll have to look later tonight, my tablet has insider preview installed. Here you go, read section 4:

Program Agreement | Windows Insider Program

NavyLCDR, Jun 10, 2016
  5. Insider builds also require activation. They also fall under the same rules as the free upgrade. If you don't have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 on that device, or a valid product code to enter, it will not activate. Insider builds are treated the same way Retail builds are as far as installation and activation goes.

alphanumeric, Jun 10, 2016
  6. tengeezer Win User
    Not a single mention of activate or activation in there.

tengeezer, Jun 10, 2016
  7. tengeezer Win User
    Except that it's no longer possible to activate Insider builds on a fresh PC.

Which means MS is indirectly promoting illegal use of their Insider builds by giving away the associated ISOs?

Doesn't make any sense.

tengeezer, Jun 10, 2016
  8. Clean install with existing key

You can download Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 ISO's freely here, Software Download You still need a valid product code to activate, so how is that promoting piracy? One of the biggest complaints in the past was easy access to install media. They fixed that quit nicely.

The original insider builds were free to try. Once the official consumer release went out they changed it. If they hadn't, people would just download the insider builds for a free ride. In the past, preview builds (AKA Beta) would have a time bomb and expire after a certain date. Insider builds don't do that. If you upgrade to the next build the expiry date gets extended. You can activate Insider builds on a new PC if you enter a valid product code. Retail codes will work, as far as I know. Insider builds accept the same keys the Retail builds do. You can switch the consumer release to Insider too in settings.

The bottom line is, the Insider builds are no longer free.

9. It does say

4.1 The Software may require a key to install or access it.

And there is a link to this, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm It's all generic, non specific, as far as I can tell. It covers Microsoft software in general.

10. tengeezer Win User
    Yeah, you need a valid product code to activate, but you don't need a valid product code to use it. You'll just get a watermark asking you to activate. So millions of people can simply install and run Windows 10 insider builds for free, without activating it.

tengeezer, Jun 10, 2016
  11. tengeezer, If you want to continue the Activation discussion, please start a new thread.
    We've beat this issue to death ... let's return the thread to the member who started it, ok?
    - Thanks!
    And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Slartybart, Jun 10, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I agree with everything in post #24!

NavyLCDR, Jun 10, 2016
  13. Clean install with existing key

You can't run it indefinably like that though. You will face increasing reduced functionality until its basically impossible to use it. There are consequences to not activating it. Anyway as mentioned lets let things go back on track.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install with existing key - Similar Threads - Clean install existing

2. Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?: I have a computer that for whatever reason is refusing to boot. It will go to the preparing automatic repair screen, and either freeze or restart. It will not boot. I am replacing the RAM, which I believe was a culprit to my random freezes, and would also like to just do a...
  3. Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?: I have a computer that for whatever reason is refusing to boot. It will go to the preparing automatic repair screen, and either freeze or restart. It will not boot. I am replacing the RAM, which I believe was a culprit to my random freezes, and would also like to just do a...
  4. Clean Install while existing merged partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install while existing merged partitions: Hello all, I am using Windows 10 on a PC. I had merged my non-system partitions for storage. When my system crashed and cannot boot anymore, I decided to go with long due system hard drive increase and bought another SSD. I made a clean install only by disconnecting one of...
  5. Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS

Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS: I need to do a clean install of windows 10. My existing computer has it installed and works fine but will not update. I have a recovery drive and disk but keep getting error messages when I try to reinstall. At this point I would like to wipe my new SSD and do a clean install...
  6. Activating Windows 10 on a clean install with the existing key.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 on a clean install with the existing key.: Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's hard drive to SSD. My laptop came with a pre-installed version of Windows 10 Home. My doubt is whether I can activate the clean install copy with the existing product key and continue using windows on my PC. Please give me detailed...
  7. Clean install with old Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install with old Key: So I'm helping my buddy build a computer since his bricked and wont boot. I have a windows 10 flash drive to help him install the OS. The only key he has though, is the windows 8 key on the sticker on his tower from when he bought his computer back in 2014 then upgraded to...
  8. Clean install while keeping existing partitions?

Clean install while keeping existing partitions?: the tutorial here says to delete all partitions before clean installing windows 10. But I don't want to do that. I just want to reinstall cleanly on the OS partition only. In the past with win7, when I had an OS and Data partition, I would just reinstall the OS, and my...
  9. Windows 10 clean install no key!

Windows 10 clean install no key!: I experienced a problem with my new PC loaded with Windows 7 Home edition. Some major files were corrupted so I tried to reload it with the disc, but it was in German and it lost me. So I downloaded Windows 10 Home (single language) from Microsoft thinking that my key would...
  10. Product Key on Clean Install

Product Key on Clean Install: After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated. I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free...