Windows 10: Clean install without removing all drives first

Discus and support Clean install without removing all drives first in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I always clean install from bootable USB, never in place upgrade (There are several reasons, but that is a different conversation). Even since Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Clean install without removing all drives first

I always clean install from bootable USB, never in place upgrade (There are several reasons, but that is a different conversation).

Even since Windows 7, and possibly before, when installing Windows we've had to remove all drives other than the one we want to install windows on to get the install to work and to avoid later problems.

If you have multiple drives connected at install time I've come across the following issues.

1. Windows will put the bootrec on the last physical drive. If you later remove or format that drive Windows won't boot.
    2.During the setup phase Windows will refuse to install on any drive. This is often accompanied by a "Required driver file is missing" (Even on SATA HDD only systems).
    3. During the OOBE phase Windows will say "Windows cannot be installed on this hardware"
    4. Windows errors of various types may occur with BSODs after the final reboot.

I have to upgrade 10 PCs every year. Many of them have SSDs which are located under the graphics card, and all have at least 3 drives, some as many as 5. So every year I have to pull apart 10 PCs, remove all drives, install Windows and re connect all drives. I'm sick of it.

Drives cannot be disabled via UEFI.

Surely there is a better way to do clean installs?

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 29, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Clean install without removing all drives first

little cat, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

Clean install without removing all drives first

1. Clean install without removing all drives first - Similar Threads - Clean install without

2. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.: Hi,Am running a web server on Azure, and it seems to restart unexpectedly every now and then.Have run WinDbg and it produced this:******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * *...
  3. Clean install without USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install without USB: Is there a way to clean install Windows 11 without USB?Other than the recovery option in settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-without-usb/965b2b43-ef13-4cc5-a5db-d9748556f323
  4. Clean install without USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install without USB: Is there a way to clean install Windows 11 without USB?Other than the recovery option in settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-without-usb/965b2b43-ef13-4cc5-a5db-d9748556f323
  5. Migrating windows 10 to another drive without clean installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating windows 10 to another drive without clean installation: Hi,Recently i've gotten the problem that the SATA drive my windows 10 is installed on isn't on par with loading games and other programs anymore. It will always run at 100% and so i've decided to get a new fast SSD drive and migrate windows to that drive.The problem is that i...
  6. Clean - Without the Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean - Without the Install: I have been asked to help, and am clueless. I've been given a working laptop and a tower to prepare for a yard sale and if not sold to donate to Salvation Army. It is desired to wipe the drives and leave it to the buyers to put their own OS. How to do? (hopefully a tutorial?)...
  7. clean install without losing all data on all drives?

clean install without losing all data on all drives?: hey. i wonder if i can do a clean win 10 install without losing all data on all drives?i have about 3-4 TB of data and i dont really want to redownload all of it. thanks....
  8. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.: Windows frequently spontaneously reboots. The only message appearing in the logs is Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 9/16/2019 8:24:07 PM Event ID: 41 Task Category: (63) Level: Critical Keywords:...
  9. How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first

How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first: I haven't tried it myself (as I upgraded THEN did a clean install before this article appeared) but assuming it works this can be a big time saver. How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade - gHacks Tech News 20476
  10. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First: How to: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First [img] Information By default to get the clean install Windows 10 on the PC anytime, and have Windows 10 automatically...