Windows 10: Clean install without using either a MS account or a phone number

Discus and support Clean install without using either a MS account or a phone number in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I haven't done a clean install in a while and today I can't figure out how to get past Windows 10 requiring either a Microsoft email account or a phone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Victek, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Victek Win User

Clean install without using either a MS account or a phone number

I haven't done a clean install in a while and today I can't figure out how to get past Windows 10 requiring either a Microsoft email account or a phone number. In the past I remember being able to choose to create a local account when first logging in, but that doesn't seem to be an option now. Am I missing something or has Microsoft eliminated the local account option?

:)

Victek, Jul 20, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft account password recovery requires two verification codes being sent using two different verification methods. Each Microsoft account has at least two verification methods, the phone number and additional email address which are asked and required when you set up a new Microsoft account with a new hotmail.com or outlook.com email or using a third party email.

When the thief who got your phone tries to recover your password, all your verification methods / security info phone numbers and email addresses will be listed for him to select one. OK, the thief naturally selects your phone number, gets the code sent as a text message, and enters it.

But, clicking Next after entering the code he needs to select another security info contact (phone / email) from the list to receive second verification code.

Password recovery is not possible with just your phone, the system is clever enough to make it impossible by requiring two codes being sent to two different phones and / or emails.

You can add as many phone numbers and email address as you wish as security info contacts at https://account.live.com/proofs/mana...&refp=security. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add at least another security email address; if you only have one phone number and one email added, those which were required when you set up the Microsoft account, and that thief got your phone, the recovery would be as impossible to you as it is to him, you both having access to just one of required two verification methods.

3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jul 20, 2019
  4. Clean install without using either a MS account or a phone number

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jul 20, 2019
Thema:

Clean install without using either a MS account or a phone number

1. Clean install without using either a MS account or a phone number - Similar Threads - Clean install without

2. Microsoft Account still using old phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account still using old phone number: My Microsoft Account has my current phone number, and I deleted the old number, but when it constantly demands to send me a 'verification code' to my phone, it is still using the old number, which shouldn't even exist anymore. This is on top of the fact that they cannot even...
  3. Microsoft Account still using old phone number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Account still using old phone number: My Microsoft Account has my current phone number, and I deleted the old number, but when it constantly demands to send me a 'verification code' to my phone, it is still using the old number, which shouldn't even exist anymore. This is on top of the fact that they cannot even...
  4. How to Clean Install with Work MS Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Clean Install with Work MS Account: Hello,I have an issue that I always use a workaround, but I thought I'd try to do it right this time. So, I'm reaching out to see if someone can help me.I own my own business with its own MS Business 365 apps purchased with my business email. I also have my personal family...
  5. How to Clean Install with Work MS Account

How to Clean Install with Work MS Account: Hello,I have an issue that I always use a workaround, but I thought I'd try to do it right this time. So, I'm reaching out to see if someone can help me.I own my own business with its own MS Business 365 apps purchased with my business email. I also have my personal family...
  6. How to Clean Install with Work MS Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Number of installs under one MS account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Number of installs under one MS account?: How to i check how many installs i'm allowed with my account and with which version of Windows? Recently I've clean installed Win 10 on my personal machines, but noticed that they automatically activated with a "digital license linked to my MS account", but to that account I...
  8. Microsoft Rewards without a phone number

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Rewards without a phone number: Let me know how I can use Microsoft Rewards without a phone number? I’ve got a lot of points and want to use them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-rewards-without-a-phone-number/14dee8df-1ff0-429c-976d-1427086b0ee3
  9. How to use Microsoft Rewards without a phone number?

How to use Microsoft Rewards without a phone number?: Heyy, so I've been wondering for some time now.. How can I use Microsoft Rewards without a phone? I don't have a phone yet (surprising Ik)! And now that I have a lot of points, I want to use them. -LexSFM/xlil101x...
  10. How to create google account without phone number?

in Browsers and Email
    How to create google account without phone number?: Is this possible anymore? Back then when i created an account, they never asked for phone number. Also not long ago i created a few google accounts and im pretty certain they did not require my password etc. But my issue is im in a different location now and i cannot log into...