Windows 10: Clean install, wrong user name

Discus and support Clean install, wrong user name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just did a clean install from ISO, The name MS assigned to my username was the first 5 characters of my email account! Not OK! It used to be whatever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by f14tomcat, Mar 20, 2015.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Clean install, wrong user name

I just did a clean install from ISO, The name MS assigned to my username was the first 5 characters of my email account! Not OK! It used to be whatever nickname (i.e. shortname) I had chosen. What gives?

:)

f14tomcat, Mar 20, 2015

2. User name is spelled wrong

Hi Lamont,

We need more information regarding your concern about your username being misspelled. Kindly give us a more detailed description of your concern so that we can assist you better. Are you pertaining to a local account or a Microsoft account? Have you tried
    creating a new user to check if the issue will persist? Kindly provide us a screenshot of the issue. Remember to censor any sensitive information in your screenshot before posting it here.

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Mar 20, 2015
  3. User name is spelled wrong

hi - I just purchased a new computer that's running Windows 10, but when it set my username up under "users" it misspelled by name. In other words, under the "users" folder theres a folder for me but it misspelled my name as the name of my user folder.

How can I change this?

LamontJacobsen, Mar 20, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Does that show under your user folder as well?

Edwin, Mar 20, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Here's the best I can show you cause I restored an image from just before ISO install. I have no idea why or how it did this, but many, many links and stuff i had set up were pointing to "Dick", and then were invalid cause Dick was not the username, dhubb was! I clean installed twice, got same results, gave up, and reimaged. LOST! *Confused*Banghead*cry

f14tomcat, Mar 20, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Do a clean install again but with a local account and a generic user name, then switch to a MS Account later.
    That's what I did, then your User folder/environment won't contain any 'giveaway' monikers or nicknames.

Clean install, wrong user name [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 20, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    This is one is a head scratcher. When the PC is booting up (on 10041 of course), it refers to me, the only user on this PC, as "Other User".

But after booting up, all user info and PC info are fine.

I haven't clean installed yet but I have the ISO ready. So far, there is no performance loss. Just those tiny "scratches" here and there. *Smile

badrobot, Mar 20, 2015
  8. pbcopter Win User

I get "Other User" when booting as well and after booting, all is normal.

pbcopter, Mar 20, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    Cuz you guys aren't signed in with an MS account?

Edwin, Mar 20, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    That's right Edwin but I don't know what MS is thinking. And they said they want to make our daily computing more "personal"? But our own PC refers to us as "Others"? Fail.

MS account or Local account is a personal choice.

badrobot, Mar 20, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    You might want to have a look at this first before doing another clean install:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...ot-loaded.html

badrobot, Mar 20, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    That is always best. If you create an account straight off as MS account and the name is more than 5 characters you get the first 5 then _000 as the short name so Dillon becomes Dillo_000 in the C:\Users (whereas Adam works OK.)

Looks rubbish like that - far better to create it as a local account with the name you want and then switch and it is faster too.

adamf, Mar 20, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I got "Other User" during the install (clean install from iso) - but it reverted to my own (local) user on the first PROPER boot after installation.

I was never prompted for a Ms account either -- didn't want to use one apart from One Drive when you can login to one drive separately - doesn't effect your Windows login.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 20, 2015
  14. adamf Win User
    I get that connecting to my 8.1 machine through RDP. The account on 8.1 is a local account set to auto-logon through netplwiz and I think that it is this that causes this "Other User" logon picture when you connect through RDP although why I don't know.

adamf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install, wrong user name - Similar Threads - Clean install wrong

2. Clean install Win 10 with no user name.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Win 10 with no user name.: I'm giving my old PC to my daughter and would like to do a clean install of W10 Home 1909. I have a copy of it on USB and I've installed Windows many times before. My question is I don't want the copy to have my name on it. Will it add my name because I'm guessing I will...
  3. Clean install has gone wrong

Clean install has gone wrong: My laptop had these specs Processor Intel i5-5200 CPU @2.20 GHz, Ram 8.0 GB Local Disk 464 GB 78 GG free Windows 10 - not sure of the exact version It was slow so I paid someone to replace the disk with a 1TB SSD one. No good. So I did a clean install and it didn't work. Now...
  4. Wrong user name/profile in registry

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wrong user name/profile in registry: Recently changed name of a user account. Thought it was straight forward but I started getting the dreaded "We can not sign into your account" error. Off to the registry, under this user's account, where I noticed the old username with the Temp designation but it wouldn't let...
  5. User Folder on Desktop displays wrong Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder on Desktop displays wrong Name: Hello, soooo i just noticed, the User Files Folder, that can be displayed on the Desktop and Explorer (you know, the one with your Username) has changed it's mind to Display "Ordner" (German for Folder*). This is the case for: My Desktop User Folder Icon (See image) The...
  6. Change user name created automatically during clean install

Change user name created automatically during clean install: I have done a clean install of Win10 to a new SSD on my laptop. I was not given an opportunity to enter a username and I now see that the username that install created is not correct. How do I change it?...
  7. User Account Folder has Wrong Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account Folder has Wrong Name: Just got a new Tablet PC. As it took me through the initial setup process, it truncated my User Name to the first letter. For example, for my username I entered 'Fred' but when I hit Enter the name was shown as 'f' and no way to get back to that screen to change it. After...
  8. C:\Users account name question after clean install

C:\Users account name question after clean install: Due to problems, I just did a clean install of Win 10. Got a surprise in that under C:\Users it created three defaultuser folders and a main named one in the style of "robertj" (not the real one). So I changed the latter under user profile to what I expected, i.e., just my...
  9. After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly

After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly: I had a problem before the holidays which this group identified correctly as long-term corruption and I solved the issue with a clean 10 install. All now great except...I had to go into the Users/Media path to replace a saved Chrome history file and noticed that the...
  10. Changed user folder name on clean install

Changed user folder name on clean install: Hi Has anyone else had the clean option, drop the last character of their user folder during the install? Example, my user folder was called Julian on 8.1 Therefore c:\Users\Julian\Desktop blah blah blah.... Well now its c:\users\julia\xxxxxxx Somewhat annoying......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install windows wrong username