Windows 10: Clean installs and licensing

Discus and support Clean installs and licensing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Im about to do a clean install of windows 10 as a last resort to possible clear up some issues i have been having are there any percautions i need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LVTHER, Jan 3, 2016.

1. LVTHER Win User

Clean installs and licensing

Im about to do a clean install of windows 10 as a last resort to possible clear up some issues i have been having are there any percautions i need to take? ill be using a product key from windows 7 pro

:)

LVTHER, Jan 3, 2016

2. Regarding Windows 10 Upgrade and Clean Installs

The reserve app only does upgrades.

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files, applications and settings.

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Regarding Windows 10 Upgrade and Clean Installs

The topic the website made me choose for this post is wrong. I don't have a question about the Upgrade Reservation, but since that's the only topic in that drop down list, it made me pick it just to be able to post this.

So far I've seen posts about wanting to do a clean installs, but can I go about upgrading to Windows 10 when it comes out without having to format my hard drive?

DracusShadowrift, Jan 3, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

1. Always backup whatever you want to keep.
    2. If you are doing a clean install over an already activated Windows 10, you won't need the product key.
    You will be asked for a product key. Just click the SKIP option and continue.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Jan 3, 2016
  5. LVTHER Win User
    Thanks for the response, I have everything important stored on a different drive from the start.

Does it matter if I format the drive before install?

LVTHER, Jan 3, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    I never have to format the drive. Never prevents me from reinstalling or clean installing.
    So, I cannot answer that question.

davidhk, Jan 3, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    You can delete all partitions during the install phase. Just to avoid any problems if crap happens, recommend you temporarily disconnect all hdds except os hdd.

Occasionally, you have to completely nuke the hdd using dban or other tool.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean installs and licensing - Similar Threads - Clean installs licensing

2. Windows license gone after clean install of windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows license gone after clean install of windows 11: I helped my friend install a clean version of windows 11, a while after the install he got the watermark back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-license-gone-after-clean-install-of/30f03bf1-7f66-4624-bf87-3995407e2c87
  3. Windows license gone after clean install of windows 11

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows license gone after clean install of windows 11: I helped my friend install a clean version of windows 11, a while after the install he got the watermark back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-license-gone-after-clean-install-of/30f03bf1-7f66-4624-bf87-3995407e2c87
  4. Digital License on clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Digital License on clean install: I purchased W7 "upgrade from Vista" CD years ago, and then upgraded to 10 no problem when it came out. I have actually formatted since then but don't really remember how I activated it, if I used the W7 product key or what. This was all on one machine. Now that machine is...
  5. Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10.

Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10.: My HP Laptop came with Windows 10 but the system developed inabilities to boot successfully which warranted formating of the HP Laptop. After cleans OS is installed the Windows 10 could not automatically get activation. Please what should I do to get my Window 10 licence...
  6. Clean re-install windows 10 digital license activation

Clean re-install windows 10 digital license activation: I'm doing a clean reinstall on my mother's computer. My brother initially installed the free version of Windows 10. I understand how to do the clean install, but I'm worried about reactivation. According to the instructions, all I'd have to do is login to Microsoft when...
  7. win 10 clean install. can't use the license key

win 10 clean install. can't use the license key: Okay. I just recently build a computer. I want to use win 10 pro as my os then. in windows 10 media creation tool. they don't have windows 10 pro version only home edition. so I download somewhere in internet. I found it. after that. i bought this license key. it...
  8. After clean install, lost Pro license

After clean install, lost Pro license: I did a clean install on my Dell laptop and in the end it did not show Pro which I purchased through Windows 10 upgrade. I was charged from MS. Any ideas what to do ? Thanks 93847
  9. Clean Install/Retail Windows 7 License

Clean Install/Retail Windows 7 License: I have a retail version of Win 7. I have been using on a separate machine, the Windows Insider Technical Preview. It is my understanding that you MUST upgrade before doing a clean install. 1) Is that true? 2) Do I get a new license number? 3) My Windows 7 instillations...
  10. Confused about License requirement for clean install...

Confused about License requirement for clean install...: I have a PC I want to install Windows 10 on, clean. I have a Win 7 Pro license key. In instructions I read about installs it says to use a Windows 10 license key. As you probably guess, can I install Windows 10 from a USB drive and use a Windows 7 Pro license key? 37296