Windows 10: Clean the drive fully or just remove files

Discus and support Clean the drive fully or just remove files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm planning to sell my HP stream laptop and I'm wanting to reset the PC to factory settings. There are two options - "just remove my files"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nusaybah saad, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Clean the drive fully or just remove files

Hello,

I'm planning to sell my HP stream laptop and I'm wanting to reset the PC to factory settings. There are two options - "just remove my files" and "clean drive fully".

I have another desktop, and I was wondering if I select "clean the drive fully" on the laptop, will the data be affected? Most of my data is in one drive, so will selecting that delete my onedrive files across all computers that I use, or will it just wipe everything only on this particular laptop.

:)

Nusaybah saad, Feb 21, 2021

2. fully clean drive

After doing a "fully clean drive" in resetting pc, my sign in screen and name are still displayed. Why wasn't that removed, "cleaned " as well? Is it a hardware or software issue?

ChuckKerstein, Feb 21, 2021
  3. remove files and clean the drive

Hi,

There are many ways to recover your missing files. To provide you the best option, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• What procedures are you referring to when you clean your drive? Did you perform a clean install?
    • Are your files synced to OneDrive?
    • Have you set up a drive for File History?

If your files are synced to OneDrive, we suggest you go to
    OneDrive Online
    and download the missing files from it.

You can also restore files or folders using File History if you have set it up before. You can refer to this

article
    for more information about this.

We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Clean the drive fully or just remove files

Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

Hi,

Than you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Share this information to assist you better.

• When you say "Fully Clean The Drive" are you referring to deleting all the files and folders in the computer?
    If yes, you can reset your PC.

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to
    Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC >
    Get started and choose an option from the option listed below.

Note

• If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key

Clean the drive fully or just remove files [​IMG]
      +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select
      Power
      Clean the drive fully or just remove files [​IMG]
      >
      Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select
      Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
      If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

Option

Keep my files

What it does

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Option

Remove everything

What it does

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Option

Restore factory settings

What it does

• Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or
      Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.

• Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.

This option isn't available on all PCs.

Note

• If you reset your PC within a month of your upgrade to Windows 10, the option in Settings that lets you go back to your previous version of Windows will no longer be available.

Disclaimer : Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1
    (Applies to Windows 10 also)

Hope this information helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

Clean the drive fully or just remove files

1. Clean the drive fully or just remove files - Similar Threads - Clean drive fully

2. Windows 10 Reset PC remove files vs fully clean drive on a SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Reset PC remove files vs fully clean drive on a SSD: Sorry if this had already been answered, I searched Google and this site and couldn't find an answer. I was gifted an old HP laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 a long time ago (it also originally came with a HDD and was upgraded to a SSD) and I want to do a full reset so...
  3. fully clean drive

fully clean drive: After doing a "fully clean drive" in resetting pc, my sign in screen and name are still displayed. Why wasn't that removed, "cleaned " as well? Is it a hardware or software issue?...
  4. Windows Fully Clean the Drive Index.dat

Windows Fully Clean the Drive Index.dat: Hello does windows reset "fully clean the drive" deletes the Index.dat web history or overwrites him? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-fully-clean-the-drive-indexdat/1ee1bfde-34d6-4725-8efa-0617f0ee3dbb
  5. Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing: So when I downloaded windows 8 transformation pack it told me to restart... So i did but when i signed in all it showed was a black screen as my desktop and when i pressed "CTRL + ALT + DELETE" it showed me the default options so all i was able to access was The task manager...
  6. Difference between "just remove files" and "remove files and clean the drive"? I have some...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Difference between "just remove files" and "remove files and clean the drive"? I have some...: submitted by /u/rapatapateina [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eo8u1b/difference_between_just_remove_files_and_remove/
  7. Windiws 10 Fully clean the drive

Windiws 10 Fully clean the drive: Question is if I have more then one drive and Windows 10 installed in C:Drive the Fully clean the drive option will clean C:Drive only or others drive also. Thanks Pramesh...
  8. Fully clean the drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully clean the drive: I've been fully cleaning the drive for about 12 hours now and it's been stuck at the same percentage for ages as I left it over night is there anyway I can check to speed up the process or check if it's not even working anymore thanks...
  9. Fully cleaning the drive loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully cleaning the drive loop: I've been trying to erase everything from my pc so I clicked fully clean the drives it started off okay but when it got to 42% it stopped and it's been like this for a few hours how long does it take and any way to fix it?...
  10. Win 10 - stopped "Fully clean the drive" (all drives) - save files?

Win 10 - stopped "Fully clean the drive" (all drives) - save files?: Hello Community, I decided do reset my (old) Computer and selectet "Fully Clean the drive". I let it clean all drives but after a few hours I remembered that the're important files on my C-drive - so I powered it off. My question is if and how i can save the files. When...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Fully clean the drive meaning

2. windows 10 recover from a drive just remove my files vs fully clean the drive

3. what is fully clean drive in reset pc

4. remove files and clean the drive windows 10