Windows 10: Clean up File Explorer

Discus and support Clean up File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My File Explorer page is a total mess. Can anyone show me step by step directions to return it to its default state without resetting/restoring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klaro 1590, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Clean up File Explorer

My File Explorer page is a total mess. Can anyone show me step by step directions to return it to its default state without resetting/restoring Windows 10 itself. In the left column are listed every folder and many files that I have ever placed on this PC. I want File Explorer to display only documents and downloads in Quick Access and if necessary, This PC. All these issues came about after I had tried OneDrive for 2 weeks, then uninstalled itI thought. Edge is still sending everything I save to OneDrive. Of course, since it is at least partially uninstalled I am unable to open OneDrive files.

Plus: The entire File Explorer page format seems to automatically change constantly, especially following a Windows monthly update. I am a sole user and save or download very little. I believe a tiny fraction of space is used.

There is surely an easy way to return File Explorer to default status without going into great detailed fixes which I cannot understand. I use HP desktop pc - Windows 10 - 20H2 - 19042.868 - Edge browser 88.0.705.63

Please offer any suggestions or advice. It is driving me NUTS!!! klaro

:)

klaro 1590, Apr 3, 2021

2. File Explorer Visual Glitch

Hello,

Let us isolate your concern by answering the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to the computer software prior to this?
    • Have you tried to select a different file outside the File Explorer window to check if the issue persists?
    In the meantime, we suggest that you perform a clean boot and check if the issue persists. If performing a clean
    boot
    on your device resolves your concern, it means that a third party software is causing the issue. We suggest that you uninstall or disable them. The steps on how to perform a clean
    boot
    are provided on this link.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jamille Nar, Apr 3, 2021
  3. John Ado Win User
    File Explorer resetting to Details after Anniversary Update

Hi,

Let's get this sorted out. We suggest you try these troubleshooting steps:

• Start the Windows in clean boot. To do this, follow the steps
      here
    • Once in clean boot environment, change the settings again to set it back to
      List
      . Normally, changing the view style in the bottom right of the window and exiting File Explorer should do the trick. The next time you open File Explorer, it should default to the last view style selected.
    • If the issue persist, let's run SFC scan to look for corrupted files. Here's
      how
    • Restart the computer normally.

Share with us the results.

Thanks.

John Ado, Apr 3, 2021
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

Clean up File Explorer

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Apr 3, 2021
Thema:

Clean up File Explorer

1. Clean up File Explorer - Similar Threads - Clean File Explorer

2. Duplicate 'File Clean up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate 'File Clean up: I am using Windows 11 on an HP laptop. I am looking for a software package that will look at the files on the system and on my cloud storage space One Drive and generate a list of duplicate files and their location. I would then take a look at the files to determine which...
  3. Duplicate 'File Clean up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate 'File Clean up: I am using Windows 11 on an HP laptop. I am looking for a software package that will look at the files on the system and on my cloud storage space One Drive and generate a list of duplicate files and their location. I would then take a look at the files to determine which...
  4. temporary files clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    temporary files clean up: I just open storage settings, and I saw there is 9.19gb update files. how do I cleanup that? and is it safe to delete that 9.19gb temporary update files?location: storage settings>temporary files>updates...
  5. temporary files clean up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    temporary files clean up: I just open storage settings, and I saw there is 9.19gb update files. how do I cleanup that? and is it safe to delete that 9.19gb temporary update files?location: storage settings>temporary files>updates...
  6. temporary files clean up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Clean up temporary files

Clean up temporary files: Dear support, I have a question about cleaning up the temporary files folder. Out of own habit and security/safety, i always clean up my temporary files before each restart or shutdown of my computer. Using the storage tab in setting. My question is, Is this bad to do so...
  8. File Explorer needs clean up or restart

File Explorer needs clean up or restart: My File Explorer left pane lists all folders 4 times in the leftnavigation?pane: under Quick Access and This PC and One Drive and Libraries. and a folder with my name. Why are the same files I've saved listed this way and how to fix or go back to original File Explorer in...
  9. Clean up my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean up my files: I am on Windows 10. After having reinitiated my computer, I used my Backup made with Windows 7 last month to reinstall my files. When I was asked to whether replace or keep the old file, I unfortunately answered keep the old file. I now have 25,000 photos in files in...
  10. File History clean up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History clean up: Last night I decided to clean up back ups in preparation for sending to a new hard drive. In File History I selected to delete all but the last copies of documents. At the end of the clean up, all I was left was with 4 folders with photos. I had thousands, and thousands...