Windows 10: clean up start menu

Discus and support clean up start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My start menu is filled with links to applications I never use, like Map, Camera, Mixed Reality Portal, etc. I've looked in the file structure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Stein Lundbeck, Dec 26, 2019.

1. clean up start menu

My start menu is filled with links to applications I never use, like Map, Camera, Mixed Reality Portal, etc.

I've looked in the file structure %appdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu but I can't find any actual shortcuts for these apps.

Are there a way to clean up the start menu or software that does this?

:)

Stein Lundbeck, Dec 26, 2019

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Yvonne Win User
    Applications still showing on Start menu after powershell deletion

Hi,

I've used powershell to remove some apps (like Xbox games).

On one account, it cleaned up the start menu just fine.

Second account, they were showing on the start menu, so I ran powershell again and verified everything was gone that I wanted, but Xbox is still showing on the menu list. *Not* as a tile, but in the "All Apps" list. I have also tried looking at the Start Menu in File Explorer for that User and can not see the App listed.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Yvonne, Dec 26, 2019
  4. GarySutt Win User

clean up start menu

Clean up the Start menu?

this is the new 'improved' start menu and always displays the all apps list.
    the only way to prevent seeing this list is to set the start menu to be full screen.

settings -> personalisation -> start, turn on 'use start full screen'

As usual I cannot find the path to settings. It sounds as if you suggest that the start menu, is all its gaudacity, to be full screen. It used to be so easy, miniature icons if at all. Presets are designed to prevent any reasonable style as if we are
    not supposed to custom design the setup. Reminds me of Ford when he said "Promise them any color but give them black."

I give up.....

GarySutt, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

clean up start menu

1. clean up start menu - Similar Threads - clean start menu

2. Start up menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start up menu: For some reason my start button in the bottom left corner is not working, hasn't worked for awhile now. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-menu/5bc69178-25dc-4106-be97-cdd9df310fa0
  3. Start up menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start up menu: For some reason my start button in the bottom left corner is not working, hasn't worked for awhile now. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-menu/5bc69178-25dc-4106-be97-cdd9df310fa0
  4. Start Menu is screwed up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu is screwed up: [ATTACH] Idk why, but my Start menu just went hapazard. The app placement all went random. Is there a reason for this, or is it just a glitch? https://preview.redd.it/9h1lb59okx761.png?width=431&format=png&auto=webp&s=8d0b46b06d1ee6523ace29339001a738454a7bc9 submitted by...
  5. Start up menu not working

in Cortana
    Start up menu not working: Recently when I tried to press the windows button on the bottom left corner of my screen, I got a pop up that said "critical error your startup menu is not working. Sign out and we will try to fix this issue". This is making it very hard to navigate all of my stuff and I need...
  6. Minimal Start Menu On Clean Installs Today

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Minimal Start Menu On Clean Installs Today: [img] A couple of clean installs today on customers machines. Start menu is lacking on the two I have done. No games. Tried different media, Different internet connection's. Any ideas what's going on ?? 150478
  7. Start menu not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not showing up: Neither this or searching menu don't show up help submitted by /u/Kamiks0320 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0o9xv/start_menu_not_showing_up/
  8. No thumbnails in start menu on start-up

in Windows 10 Customization
    No thumbnails in start menu on start-up: Since the April update (the latest one didn’t brick my PC, for a change), most of the thumbnails in my Start menu have vanished when the computer starts up. I know how to reset thumbnails, and that is the solution, but what is the reason for Windows not loading thumbnails...
  9. Cleaning up the Start Menu "All Apps" sub-menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cleaning up the Start Menu "All Apps" sub-menu: Hey guys. I have been trying to find a way to clean up the apps in the Start Menu, under All Apps. I tried finding the Directory there are in but I can't find anything. I don't want to uninstall them, I just want to put them in a folder in the Start Menu. Any help?...
  10. 7 Start Menu - Clean, Simple Customized

in Windows 10 Support
    7 Start Menu - Clean, Simple Customized: Still prefer this to seeing tile on my desktop screen. [img] 2008