Windows 10: Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Discus and support Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AllanP, Mar 4, 2017.

1. AllanP Win User

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download a W10 Home (that is what is on the new Dell) MS will refuse to activate the downloaded W10. Does anybody have any info to corroborate that theory?

:)

AllanP, Mar 4, 2017
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Free Upgrade Windows 10 pruduct key

Hi!

I have been following a this thread: How to active win 10 upgrade?

I tried the produkey on several of my upgraded machines. I have a W10 pro OEM DSP purchased for a hard drive, built the machine. Same machine I have a hard drive that had W7 Pre OEM DSP. Upgraded to W10 Home. The W10 Pro retuned the same key as the COA.
    W7-W10 retuned a different key then the W7 COA. I have a W7-W10 HP laptop that also returned a different key then the W7 COA.

So if the product key is stored in the bios, (sure like to know what chip) does the W10 install/upgrade, flash the chip?

Teddy2016, Mar 4, 2017
  3. transfer my retail digital license to a new machine void of any OS

I want to transfer my W10 Pro retail version
    that I purchased from an authorized reseller - originally purchased as 8.1 and now has a digital license after upgrading to W10 - to a new machine , one w/o any OS. I had partitioned my drive to accommodate
    W 10 Home OEM and the Pro version. My primary partition on this machine is W10 Home OEM.

RobertArnow, Mar 4, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Not true at all. I've done many clean installs over OEM Win 10 with no problem.
    Download it from here: Download Windows 10
    Directions here: Windows 10 - Clean Install

If I were you, I would do a full image backup of the laptop hard drive to an external hard drive before doing the clean install just in case something goes wrong.

Ztruker, Mar 4, 2017
  5. AllanP Win User
    Thanks for that. Yes I figured on putting Acronis to work.

Edit: Oh one more thing: Do I need the key from the OEM install or does MS recognize, I'll record it anyways, but just wondering.

AllanP, Mar 4, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    When you get the system, boot it and make sure it gets activated. Make the image backup.

Once a system has been activated with Windows 10, it gets a digital registration which is stored on the Microsoft servers so no, you don't need a key. When you do the clean install click I don't have a key or Skip this step when asked for one. It will activate automatically one Win 10 install is done.

Personally I don't think it's necessary to do a clean install of a brand new laptop. Why not use it for awhile, maybe turn off some startup programs and services if you want but then see how it performs.

Ztruker, Mar 4, 2017
  7. AllanP Win User
    Yes I was aware of that, but I had read about some discrepancies with OEM's and fresh installs. Also yes I will use the new Dell as it comes if I can get rid of the all the bloat ware.
    Thanks, Allan

AllanP, Mar 5, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2017
  9. tonez Win User
    Makes me want to go an buy a branded pc/laptop just to try it *Smile

tonez, Mar 7, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Is that any different than doing a Reset? Anyone used it yet?

Ztruker, Mar 7, 2017
  11. AllanP Win User
    Yes nice to start off with a new machine. Actually Dell hasn't loaded too much, in fact only one foreign to Dell program. Mcaffe was the only program loaded and I gave it the boot. It has a bunch of dell stuff; that I will probably whittle down in time.

AllanP, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine - Similar Threads - Clean W10 install

2. W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps: Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install. Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed...
  3. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...
  4. Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.

Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.: Just curious, is it possible to carry out a clean install of 10 on my hard drive which has 7 and 10 as a dual boot? obviously on the 10 partition. Thank you. 110034
  5. Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.: Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine it won't activate. I just thought I would report one of my testings. I installed windows 7 retail in the virtual machine and it activated. I upgraded to windows 10 and it activated. I did a clean install of windows 10...
  6. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  7. Clean install W10 on an old machine: what/how to prep?

Clean install W10 on an old machine: what/how to prep?: Folks, I've borked my W7 install. Don't ask how: it takes skillz. *Wink Anyhow, rather than reinstalling W7, I figured this is the perfect time to perform a clean install of W10. I've found the thread, I've created a USB install stick. Before I take the plunge, I'd like to...
  8. Clean install W10 on Surface Pro

Clean install W10 on Surface Pro: While clean installing W10 on Surface Pro, the following message was returned. Pressed Windows key but nothing happened. The bootable USB install drive was created by Media Creation Tool from MS. I also tried Recovery USB drive created from the Surface Pro machine but the...
  9. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  10. W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10

W10 re-installation for a machine that was upgraded from W81 to W10: I have a Linx 8 tablet that originally came with Windows 8.1. I then upgraded to Windows 10 via the free update route during the year that it was offered. However, the OS has become corrupted and the only thing that I have to be able to restore is the original Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 pro install oem