Windows 10: Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc)

Discus and support Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I'm just not sure how to do a clean w10 installation using my key from windows 7. I'm upgrading my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zYx, Jul 1, 2016.

1. ZYX
    zYx Win User

Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc)

Hey,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I'm just not sure how to do a clean w10 installation using my key from windows 7.

I'm upgrading my PC and I didn't create an USB with w10 installation using my windows 7, I forgot :/

I'm building a new PC now and I'd like to know if I can enter windows 7 key during w10 installation? If not, how is it done?

I'm creating a USB stick using tool from M$.

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. J.DD Win User

Problem with my new built gaming pc

Look in device manager what's got a ? beside it?

You should install the chipset drivers, and win7 or 10 may or should install the audio and lan drivers

J.DD, Jul 1, 2016
  3. Cannot create a System Recovery Disc - get error code 0xC0AA0007

Hello Krishna,

Thank you for your reply. This issue happens on a completely clean install of W10 with absolutely no other software installed. It also happened when I used the MS automatic update from my W7 Ultimate on my old PC build. This is now a completely new
    PC build with a brand new MoBo/HD with a clean install of W10 Pro. A MS Tech spent 2 hours on my PC yesterday and couldn't fix it! On my previous build, Under W7, and W10 where the same problem existed (I didn't try it under W7), I had NERO v10 installed
    and was unable to successfully burn a CD or a DVD. I have not tried this on this new build as I haven't installed any burning software or any Anti Virus software, except your own which is installed with W10.

Rgds

David

DavidTormey, Jul 1, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Yes you can. Just download the latest ISO from here (pick the correct Home or Pro version to match your 7 key), put it on a USB and boot from it to start the installation (you only need to do this if your existing USB isn't working as old versions didn't allow you to use Windows 7 or 8 keys and also you can't activate 10 Pro with a 7 Home key or v.v).

Boot from your USB and when prompted during the install type in your 7 key. Alternatively you can skip entering the key and activate once you've installed.

There is a tutorial here if it isn't clear... Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

You best do it before 29th July as otherwise you'll have to buy Windows 10...

lx07, Jul 1, 2016
  5. ZYX
    zYx Win User
    Thanks. It was a Windows 7 Ultimate so I believe I should get Windows 10 Pro?

edit: I did use this tool just now, using my Surface Pro with w10, but I didn't see Windows 10 Pro option *Sad

Thanks again!

6. lx07 Win User
    Sorry mate - that option (Pro or Home) doesn't exist any more - I'm living in the past - both are included in the one ISO now... Just pick Windows 10 unless you have a Single language, Korean or European edition...

Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc) [​IMG]

Alternatively you can get the ISO direct from TechBench but the choices are the same..

Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc) [​IMG]

lx07, Jul 1, 2016
  7. ZYX
    zYx Win User
    Thanks a lot!

8. lx07 Win User

I clean installed 10 using my 7 Ultimate key - it works fine. Good luck with it.

lx07, Jul 1, 2016
  9. With all of the changes, I've lost track *Wink
    Do you not need to run gatherOSstate and create GenuineTicket.xml any longer?
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Trying to sort out what might no longer be required.

It sounds as though you're saying that the previous version license key can be used to do a clean install.
    On a bare metal drive / new machine?

Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
  10. ZYX
    zYx Win User
    That's why I asked here. But if I can use w7 key than all should go well.

11. lx07 Win User
    No, Since November update you can just enter a valid 7 or 8 key and activate direct. There is no need for that messing around any more thank goodness.

12. Thanks, I'll stop referring to that tut then. You want to mention it to Shawn? No sense having a tut around that isn't needed, eh?

I'd mention it, but all I could say was lx07 told me it wasn't necessary after the 1511 release. You have empirical evidence. *Biggrin

Thanks again

Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
  13. ZYX
    zYx Win User

Great stuff!

14. lx07 Win User
    All I know is it worked for me...

There is this quote in the tutorial you linked to
    Perhaps there is still some call for the tutorial but I can't really think of one. It is possible you can't enter previous version OEM keys in Windows 10 only retail - I don't know as I don't have OEM system.

15. ZYX
    zYx Win User
    You'd never find out if I didn't ask *chuckle*Biggrin*Tongue

I'll be doing it tomorrow on my new bare (liquid) metal machine *Tongue

Thema:

1. Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc) - Similar Threads - Clean w10 installation

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  4. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  5. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?: Hey, as the title says, I have a valid Win 7 pro license running on my old PC. Can I in any way transfer this to install Win 10 Pro on my new device? Thanks! submitted by /u/0x07C3 [link] [comments]...
  7. Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation: Hi, like many users my laptop using a genuine Win7 product key previously was upgraded to Win10. I'm currently facing windows login issue in which i tried to repair and so but it didn't help. As my laptop is quite old, i'm planning to purchase a replacement desktop...meaning...
  8. new install with Win7 key

new install with Win7 key: Hi I know that you can still do a clean 10 install with a Win7 key & activate There is some question as to if that gives you a valid licence. Activation is not proof of a valid lic. Reason I ask , is MS stated the the 'free upgrade' from 7 was for a specific peroid of time....
  9. Clean install on new PC with non-used windows 7 key

Clean install on new PC with non-used windows 7 key: Have an unused Technet windows 7 Key (Old) and want to know if i can use that in some way to install Windows 10 on a self-build PC. Other option could be to buy an OEM key online, but which online stores are legit?...
  10. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....