Windows 10: Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc)

Discus and support Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So. My windows 10 is now installed, but I am unable to activate it. I did enter my Windows 7 key during installation, but now I get the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zYx, Jul 1, 2016.

1. ZYX
    zYx Win User

Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc)

So.

My windows 10 is now installed, but I am unable to activate it. I did enter my Windows 7 key during installation, but now I get the following message: That my key is being used on another machine.

The wonderful M$ support is as usual... useless. One of them told me I have to install Win7 first and then upgrade... otherwise it will not work.

Any ideas?

2. NavyLCDR New Member

Create an additional partition or use a spare hard drive to hold a temporary installation of Windows 7. Once you get Windows 7 activated on that computer, then you can use either the genuineticket.xml file method to activate Windows 10 on the same computer, or just entering the product key manually should then work.

But, yes, the only way we have found around that is to install Windows 7 and activate it on that computer - or keep calling Microsoft until you get someone on the phone willing to give you a Windows 10 product key.

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  3. ZYX
    zYx Win User
    talking to M$ support on the phone is a horrible experience. Every time they put me through to the next expert, the call quality drops. There's probably multiple redirections between various continents. Not good.

I'll try the genuine ticket method. I'm installing a new win7 on a separate partition right now.

Thanks.

4. NavyLCDR New Member

You will have to activate the Windows 7 using the phone activation line, but that is a simple recorded voice.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean w10 installation using win7 key? (new built pc) - Similar Threads - Clean w10 installation

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  4. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  5. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?: Hey, as the title says, I have a valid Win 7 pro license running on my old PC. Can I in any way transfer this to install Win 10 Pro on my new device? Thanks! submitted by /u/0x07C3 [link] [comments]...
  7. Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation: Hi, like many users my laptop using a genuine Win7 product key previously was upgraded to Win10. I'm currently facing windows login issue in which i tried to repair and so but it didn't help. As my laptop is quite old, i'm planning to purchase a replacement desktop...meaning...
  8. new install with Win7 key

new install with Win7 key: Hi I know that you can still do a clean 10 install with a Win7 key & activate There is some question as to if that gives you a valid licence. Activation is not proof of a valid lic. Reason I ask , is MS stated the the 'free upgrade' from 7 was for a specific peroid of time....
  9. Clean install on new PC with non-used windows 7 key

Clean install on new PC with non-used windows 7 key: Have an unused Technet windows 7 Key (Old) and want to know if i can use that in some way to install Windows 10 on a self-build PC. Other option could be to buy an OEM key online, but which online stores are legit?...
  10. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....