Windows 10: Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors

Discus and support Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Operator skill level- medium - its been 4.5 years since my last build, zero experience installing Win8 or Win10 Brand new Clean install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by magicshot, Jan 2, 2016.

1. magicshot Win User

Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors

Hi all,
    Operator skill level- medium - its been 4.5 years since my last build, zero experience installing Win8 or Win10

Brand new Clean install from full WIndows 10 USB3.0 retail package

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P motherboard
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera
    16 Gig G*Skill DDR3 1600 RAM
    240 gig SSD Ultra L5 Team Drive SATA III

While installing W10, I get the error message that windows cannot install on GPT partition. This was a brand new unformatted Drive. Windows 10 itself created the GPT partition if there is one there! Tried several times to delete partition and reformat, but it wont let me reformat to NTFS at that point.

I took the SSD out and attached it via USB external SATA drive adapter onto a Win8.1 machine. It shows up on this machine as a NTFS partition! I delete the partition, but it wont let me delete the reserved or system partitions- and I created the partition again and formated it to NTFS.

When I take the SSD back to the new machine to try the install again, I get the same exact error messages all over again.

This SSD drive is going to be the primary OS HD for the system- Once installed there will be a 1Tb disk for files and archive but that is not even attached at the moment.

Any advice on how to properly format this SSD SATAIII drive to allow Win10 to install?

:)

magicshot, Jan 2, 2016

2. Internet Explorer IE11 is not listed as an option in 'Turn Windows features on or off'

If you format the SSD then do another "clean install" of Win10 1703, does the behavior persist?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Clean installing Windows 10 on new SSD

I have upgraded my Win8.1 to Win10. I want to add an SSD and do a clean install of Win10. My concerns are regarding the activation of Win10 after the clean install on the new SSD. I know how to create a bootable Win10 on an USB stick but will the new Win10
    activate without a problem?

Chi Man Wong, Jan 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jan 2, 2016
  5. Nipax Win User
    Nipax, Jan 2, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Chances are TS' pc supports both legacy bios and EFI bios.
    So, depending how the install media is booted (legacy or EFI) Windows will install accordingly. When the drive is already GPT partitioned and media is booted in bios mode it can't install itself on the GPT drive.

Personally I prefer GPT and EFI mode for it offers added protection amongst other things.

The link Nipax provided shows a typical example of a pc that supports both modes (as does mine) which can be confusing to a newcomer to EFI etc.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 3, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    This sounds like the reason to me. Check bios setting and see if an eufi or legacy bios option, and set to eufi.

cereberus, Jan 3, 2016
  8. Saltgrass Win User

First question, how do you want to install the system. I would use UEFI but it is your decision.

As was mentioned, how you boot the install media determines what configuration is used.

If the install gives as message such as you show, there must be a partition on the drive which should be visible during the install. If you remove it, the install should be able to convert the drive to what it needs. If that still doesn't work, use the Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window and use Diskpart to clean the drive then refresh the partitions window and continue the install.

A new drive should have installed without any problems, in either configuration, if it had not been pre-formatted in some manner. Even converting a drive to GPT can place a hidden partition and it will show up in Diskpart or during the install.

Saltgrass, Jan 3, 2016
  9. magicshot Win User
    Problem solved. I couldn't delete the partition from within the install (wouldn't let me) nor could I delete them from a USB SATA drive carrier from a Win8 box. I moved the entire SSD plus the USB SATA drive carrier over to a laptop running Win10 and it let me Delete the partitions using Win10 and I left the drive space unallocated. I put the SSD back into the new build and the install went fine from there. I still have no Idea why the original install got fubared, but I am up and running now. Thank you to all who took the time to respond and help!

magicshot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors - Similar Threads - Clean Win10 install

2. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  3. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  4. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  5. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  6. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  7. Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?: I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that to a DVD: I now want to change my boot HDD to an SSD. Would the following method make sense? 1. Install the SSD and clone my...
  8. Change these settings after clean install win10 on a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change these settings after clean install win10 on a new SSD?: Greetings. After some troubble with a few games and settings, I installed windows 10 pro on a SSD. I then got this list, which I was told to use as my PC is mainly a gamer-PC. Can you recommend me to use this list complete, or is it "too much"? I really can't see why I...
  9. Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD

Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD: Hi to all I have my Acer laptop around 2 months , and now i want to fresh install win 10 What I've done ,I created USB image via Rufus with Win10 home (which I had on my new laptop preinstalled) I writed down my licence key. Ive booted and cleaned SSD completely with new...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...