Windows 10: Clean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD

Discus and support Clean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Guys, a few questions which should be easy enough for you to awnser I hope! First of all I'm an everyday Linux user, I haven't used Windows much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Danw87, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Danw87 Win User

Clean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD

Hi Guys, a few questions which should be easy enough for you to awnser I hope!

First of all I'm an everyday Linux user, I haven't used Windows much since Windows 7 was out! so I am a bit rusty with Windows 10 as such.

I'm building a new PC for my Dad as he is still running on Windows Vista with very old hardware. The new tower iv built him has a Gigabyte mobo with an AMD Ryzen 3 processor, 8GB of Ram, a 480GB SSD for the OS and a 2TB HDD for storage. Iv purchased and installed Windows 10 Pro x64 on the SSD, that's as far as iv got at present. My questions are:

1. Is there a way to keep the entire user folder on the Storage HDD? I'm thinking of this way so the system folders such as App Data etc. isn't lost if the SSD fails. Or is the best way to just relocate the Document, Photo folders etc. via the folder settings?

2. If I can't transfer the entire user folder, what is the best backup utility to use? Incase of SSD failure, I would want to be able to swap the failed SSD out and restore the entire system from a backup image stored on the HDD. A free utility would be great, not sure if Windows has something already included in the OS? If not I don't mind paying for a utility that will get the job done.

I am thinking of installing the following programs, just wondering if you guys have any other suggestions or would want to recommend something better:

LibreOffice Suit for word processing
    Google Chrome for Web browsing
    VLC Media Player
    Ccleaner to keep the system uncluttered
    7zip for file achives
    Adobe PDF Viewer
    Malwarebytes Free Edition
    Windows Deferender (I hear its pretty decent these days)
    iTunes for his iPhone & iPad
    Shotwell Suit to keep his photos organised.

Any other suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks, Dan.

:)

Danw87, Aug 16, 2020
  2. dopefish9 Win User

Secondary HDD not found by Optimize and Defrag

Hello,

Upgraded to Win10 a few weeks ago. I have a 240G primary SSD (CClean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD :) and 1TB internal secondary HDD (EClean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD :), plus a 1TB external USB backup drive (JClean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD :). I wanted to determine why the internal 1TB HDD seems to have some 'missing' space so I opened Optimize Drives.
    But Optimize Drives only lists the SSD (CClean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD :), USB drive (JClean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD :) and a System Reserved drive. It doesn't list the internal 1TB HDD.

So far my searches have turned up problems where extra drives aren't recognized at all, but mine works fine for everything else (I've moved Libraries there, created system images there, it shows in Explorer, etc.)

Edit: Device Manager indicates no issues with the drive. I've also right-clicked from Explorer > Properties > Tools > Optimize, and the list is still missing this drive.

Can anyone explain this or provide a solution?

Thank you!

Stephen

dopefish9, Aug 16, 2020
  3. Ocman76 Win User
    Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup

A clean windows 10 install is unfortunately out of the question. I had to do a clean install of windows 7 a couple years ago when I built my current computer, and spent literally weeks downloading and reinstalling all my games and programs. I will switch to Macrium Reflect before doing a clean install.

And yes, windows still insists my secondary HDD is a "system" drive:

Clean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD [​IMG]

Ocman76, Aug 16, 2020
  4. larrens Win User

Clean SSD install (Users folders remain on HDD) - help

My desktop has an old SSD (Win10 boot and applications) and HDD for Users files / data.

I am replacing the old SSD with a new one and will do a clean install of Windows10 Home 64bit and all applications.
    I will keep my existing Users files data on the HDD.

2 questions:

1. Is it best to disconnect the HDD while doing the SSD clean install and then reconnecting the HDD once Win10 installation is complete?
    2. Regarding Users folder on the HDD - what is the best way to instruct Windows that the Users folders will be on the HDD?

1. during installation / setup (eg. using audit mode, registry editor etc), or
    2. after the Windows 10 SSD installation is completed and selecting move the location of the users folders within Windows that have been set up to the HDD?

Thanks

larrens, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Clean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD - Similar Threads - Clean Win10 Installation

2. Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation: I'm upgrading a friend's laptops (yes a Celeron!!! & a 2nd Gen i5, lucky me) from HDD to SSD, increasing memory and reinstalling Win10 using a W10 USB drive that I'd done a year ago using MS MCT. So my first question is During the installation process I presume I skip the...
  3. Installing Win10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on a secondary drive: Hey guys, this is probably one of the most common topics but I can't find a clean answer to my specific question. I've got two SSDs, a small old one and a big new one. Due to problems of certain software I want the big drive to be my new main drive with Win10 on it....
  4. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  5. Win10 x86 installation on clean HDD is stuck in a loop

Win10 x86 installation on clean HDD is stuck in a loop: This is a continuation of a journey to update my Acer laptop (specs in My Computer below) to the current version of Win Pro v.1903. It started in the "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" when trying to re-install Win10 Pro x86 thread in the BSOD forum section, after trying to do an...
  6. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  7. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  8. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595
  9. Memory Stik Question/Clean install Win10

Memory Stik Question/Clean install Win10: I originally upgraded my Win 7 64b to win 10. Had issues, so downloaded the Media Creation Tool and installed a clean Win 10. I messed up the password question and enabled the password and couldn't get it resolved so decided to reinstall again. I thought I'd reformat the usb...
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...