Windows 10: Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions

Discus and support Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Two desktop computers each running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I tried to copy an image of the source C: drive to the target C: drive and ran into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by johnes39, Oct 5, 2019.

1. johnes39 Win User

Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions

Hello

Two desktop computers each running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I tried to copy an image of the source C: drive to the target C: drive and ran into issues and, I think, in the process messed up the source drive partition table.

So I tried to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the target C: drive. Was prompted to select where to install it and found the disk partitions somewhat confusing. There are some OEM partitions that I am not sure how to install them. Have a DVD for the motherboard of the target computer.

The target desktop has two 1TB SSD drives (system and data).

Attached is screen shot from disk management.

I would like to start the target C: drive from scratch.

Question: Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions 12e005f1-2cbb-418e-894e-522954647714?upload=true.png How to clean up and install the partitions on the system SSD drive including the essential OEM information and where to install a fresh copy of Windows 10?

No user data or programs are present on the target system SSD drive.

Very much appreciate information about what is going on in general.

:)

johnes39, Oct 5, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 5, 2019
  3. Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

If I do a clean install of Windows 10, will it mess up the partitions I have on my 2TB drive?

MxPhenom 216, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps performed to resolve the issue. However, let’s try with the further troubleshooting steps and see if it works. Initially, I would suggest you to create a bootable media with a USB/Flash drive of capacity 8GB.
    For better understanding, you may watch the video with the procedure from the article on
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide

Set the boot priority to USB once after creating a bootable media using a USB and proceed with the Windows Installation. On the drive selection window, press Shift + F10 keys to open the Command Prompt. Then follow the steps listed
    below:

• Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
      diskpart
    • Once after executing the above command, type the following command to list the current drives and press Enter:
      list disk
    • List disk will give you the list of drives, use the following command to select the drive and press Enter: select disk 0
    • Type the following command to check if the disk is online: online disk
      (if the disk is not online)
    • Type the following command to clean the drive and press Enter:
      clean
    • To create a partition, type the following command and press Enter:
      create partition primary
    • To select the partition that you created, type the following command and press Enter:
      select partition 1
    • To set the partition active, type the following command and press Enter:
      active (if this is the boot partition)
    • Type the following command to assign a drive letter and press Enter:
      assign letter(letter)
    • After completing all this, close the command prompt screen and click on
      refresh button.
    • Then you will only have one drive with “unallocated space”, just select the partition to start the installation.

Let us know how it goes and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions - Similar Threads - Clean Install Disk

2. cleaning a partition not a disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cleaning a partition not a disk: I do not want to clean all the disk cause it is divided into 3 partitions and I need to use the first partition only for windows and keep the data on the other two partitions, so what should I do?...
  3. cleaning a partition not a disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cleaning a partition not a disk: I do not want to clean all the disk cause it is divided into 3 partitions and I need to use the first partition only for windows and keep the data on the other two partitions, so what should I do?...
  4. cleaning a partition not a disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.

Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.: Hi Everyone, As my title says I cannot complete a fresh Windows 10 install from USB using Windows media creation tool. I purchased an NZXT BLD a few months ago and recently received a blue screen crash and of course I didn't write down the error code, because I didn't think...
  6. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  7. Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue: Hey, here's what went down w/ my laptop: It's a Windows 10 ASUS X540UA-DS51 laptop. The hard drive got corrupted, to the point where it cannot even recognize that there's a C: drive, only the emergency X: drive (I know it's part of the C: drive). And no, I did not back up...
  8. [help with partition] Clean installing windows 10

[help with partition] Clean installing windows 10: Hi I recently upgraded my laptop, specifically "Acer aspire v5-473pg" into windows 10 and now I'm trying to do a clean install. The problem is there's a lot of partition on the partition menu when proceeding into a clean install and I don't know a lot about them. My laptop...
  9. Perform a clean install on a disk that has a data partition?

Perform a clean install on a disk that has a data partition?: I've been considering shrinking my one disk (disk 0) to create another volume, a data partition, but I'm still not clear what happens in the event that I want to refresh, reset or clean install Windows 10 in the future. Would the data partition remain or, as I thought I read,...
  10. Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions

Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions: Hi everyone, i've upgraded from windows 8.1 with uefi bios, so basically now i can do clean install 10 without product key? But the real question is: My pc have 8 partitions, the primary one, 5 of recovery, 1 oem and 1 efi. Can i delete all partitions and create only one?...