Windows 10: Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only

Discus and support Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all. I need to do a clean Windows 10 install on my laptop (I want to sell it, and therefore need to disassociate my Windows account with the OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by UnflappableDobs, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only

Hello all.
    I need to do a clean Windows 10 install on my laptop (I want to sell it, and therefore need to disassociate my Windows account with the OS installation). I want to install Windows 10 on the SSD (M.2 2280 PCIE NVMe) and leave the HDD for storage only. Windows is currently installed on the SSD (which I added myself), but on booting there are two OS options (see below) as the boot manager seems to think that the old HDD OS is still installed.

Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only [​IMG]

However, the SSD is not showing in the BIOS boot priority menu, so I cannot set SSD to default. When I do the clean install I want to make sure that BIOS recognises the SSD.

I have attached below a screenshot of the current partitions on both SSD and HDD; I'm not sure what the first partition on the SSD is and whether it should be a boot sector - but either way it's not being detected in current BIOS.

Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only [​IMG]

Does anyone know of a single tutorial here that addresses this issue, or do I need to try and pull together different threads to address my specific issue (which I'm finding hard to do at the moment)?

Many thanks in advance.

:)

UnflappableDobs, Aug 17, 2020

2. Clean Install From Upgrade to Second SSD Intead of HDD

I recently purchased a HP Envy 17t laptop with an 1tb HDD that has windows 8.1 installed. I would like to install the upgrade to windows 10 but I want to put it on a my old Mushkin 120gb SSD and use the HDD as a storage drive. Is there a way to do a clean
    install to my SSD instead of the HDD?

TrevorBrennan, Aug 17, 2020
  3. Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD

Hello Aphex,

Doing a clean install of Windows 10 is pretty straight forward. If you like, the tutorial below can provide you step by step details on how to do a clean install to help.

Clean Install Windows 10

You will definitely notice a performance improvement with Windows installed and running on a SSD vs a HDD.

Shawn Brink, Aug 17, 2020
  4. brify Win User

Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage (I have 1TB cloud storage with 365) and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred
    any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to
    continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

brify, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only

1. Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only - Similar Threads - Clean install SSD

2. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  3. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  4. How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?: My Dell laptop is running very slow due to HDD that's why I have decided to install a SSD to boot my windows and other applications. But now I have problems with installation of windows in SSD. Please help me with this installation process ....
  5. How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?: My Dell laptop is running very slow due to HDD that's why I have decided to install a SSD to boot my windows and other applications. But now I have problems with installation of windows in SSD. Please help me with this installation process ....
  6. How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...: I assume it has something to do with a partition on the HDD. Disk Manager does not allow me to delete 2 relatively small partitions, including one labeled "Recovery" and one labeled "EFI System Partition." I assume W10 is detecting the recovery partition and is giving me the...
  8. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.: current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind. how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy...
  9. Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage

Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage: I bought a new laptop that has an HDD and an SSD, the laptop has no Windows pre installed (it's free DOS) and I want to install Windows 10 on it. My question is, how to install the windows on the SSD and not the HDD? I mean, on the screen that shows "where do you want to...
  10. Removal of storage HDD required for clean install of Windows 10

Removal of storage HDD required for clean install of Windows 10: My present Windows 7 computer has the C: Drive (OS) and two additional storage drives, D & E. When getting reading to do a clean install of Windows 10, is it necessary to electrically remove the storage drives in case of any conflicts, if any, during the installation of...