Windows 10: Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop

Discus and support Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have recently purchased 2 Windows 10 desktops and also have a Toshiba Satellite P300-1FN. Because of security fears on the Toshiba, I downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DavidBanks5, May 29, 2019.

1. Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop

I have recently purchased 2 Windows 10 desktops and also have a Toshiba Satellite P300-1FN. Because of security fears on the Toshiba, I downloaded and clean installed Windows 10 Home. I wanted to first check that the Toshiba would be OK with Windows 10, so I did not buy an activation key.

After a couple of weeks the Toshiba is working flawlessly and I have found all the drivers that the installation could not find.

How long have I got before I have to activate the Toshiba and is it correct I just need to go to the Windows store to purchase the key. After reading a few of the problems on this forum, I am a bit worried about spending £120 and not being able to activate.

One of the new desktops is associated with my Microsoft account and I plan to also associate the Toshiba to my Microsoft account. Will this cause any problems.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge on this.

David

:)

DavidBanks5, May 29, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 29, 2019
  3. Wile E Win User
    Windows Vista Clean Installation

To do a clean install on a fresh hard drive with Vista on an upgrade disc, you have to follow certain steps. Buying a full install CD would've been easier, but using the upgrade disc only adds more time, so it's not that big of a deal.

Follow the instructions here to do a clean install with an upgrade disc: http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/28/perform-a-clean-install-with-a-vista-upgrade-disc

Wile E, May 29, 2019
  4. Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop

No More Clean-Installs for Vista Upgrades

When users were upgrading to Windows XP, the procedure was that users could simply insert their old Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD at the appropriate time during a clean install without the need for the old OS to be installed at the time. However, Microsoft has decided to change this for Vista, and now requires a fully installed and activated version of your old OS already on the machine. This comes as an attempt to prevent illegal use of upgrade CDs, but could be inconvenient and time consuming when the time comes to reinstall. The new procedure for a reinstall is as follows:
    • Install your old copy of Windows XP
    • Activate it either online or over the phone
    • Install Vista
    Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop

1. Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop - Similar Threads - Clean Install Vista

2. Windows Vista installation failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Vista installation failed: I’m doing a windows 7 and Vista dual boot boot project on a Lenovo G575, but whenever I try installing vista it always does this error once it enters full screen “This computer does not have enough space for temporary files. Windows installation needs atleast 440 megabytes of...
  3. Windows Vista Installation Problems

Windows Vista Installation Problems: Hello everyone,I know Windows Vista ended support, but I am used to it.I bought a new PC with modern UEFI that supports CSM, the hard disk is SATA.When I tried to boot the installation, it just gave me a BSoD.What should I do, I really want this operating system on my PC to...
  4. HP Laptop with windows vista

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Laptop with windows vista: My wife passed a few years ago and I'm attempting to utilize a laptop she had. It has windows vista on it and For some reason I can't login to it don't know the PWD it found 106 upgrades and installed them. I can't get past the login screen it only has her nameKtisti and the...
  5. HP Laptop with windows vista

HP Laptop with windows vista: My wife passed a few years ago and I'm attempting to utilize a laptop she had. It has windows vista on it and For some reason I can't login to it don't know the PWD it found 106 upgrades and installed them. I can't get past the login screen it only has her nameKtisti and the...
  6. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?: Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could...
  7. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?: Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could...
  8. Clean install Windows on a Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Windows on a Laptop: Hello, I would like to do a clean installation of Windows 10 on my laptop. On my laptop, I have Windows 10 1803 Home. There are two things I would like to ask. I want to perform the installation for Windows 10 1809 Pro on my laptop. But the problem is, during performing...
  9. Upgrade a vista laptop with new install

Upgrade a vista laptop with new install: I have an older vaio laptop that runs vista but I it is not listed on the sony website to have been tested with 10. Is there a way to manually run the compatibility tool to see if I would have problems with installing 10 on it. I know I can't do an upgrade but thought I might...
  10. Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System

Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System: First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forum. Second I have quite a few questions as to doing a clean install of Windows 10 Preview (10130) on my PC that has Windows Vista currently on it. First, will my PC support Windows 10? (Processor- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200...