Windows 10: Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition

Discus and support Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I needed to do a Clean Windows installation. I used a Windows Install disc which I burnt from Windows.ISO file created by MS Creator's Tool. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by elstaci, Jul 11, 2020.

1. elstaci Win User

Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition

I needed to do a Clean Windows installation. I used a Windows Install disc which I burnt from Windows.ISO file created by MS Creator's Tool.

The reason why was because I kept getting BOOTMSG error BOOTMSG IS CORRUPTED. SYSTEM CAN NOT BOOT when booting up with both my C: Drive and Blue Ray Burner. I needed to use my IDE Burner, connected to a PCIe IDE card, to run the installation disk. At first I tried repairing BOOTMSG via Command Prompt by got the error "Access Denied" when trying to run Bootrec /Fixboot command.

Finally since Boot Manager is located in System Reserved Partition of Windows 10 I was forced to do a Clean Windows Installation.

When I ran the installer, I deleted all the partitions in my C: Drive and then the installer created a new C: Partition which automatically created a new System Reserved Partition at the same time, except it was 75 Mbytes large instead of 575 Mbytes as it was previously in all of my previous Windows 10 Clean installations in the past.

When I saw it at first, I didn't think much about it, Thinking that maybe as Windows got larger it automatically adjusted the System Reserve to enlarge also. But it didn't.

I became aware that something was wrong with the Windows installation when I kept getting during my first Windows System Backup after installation, that the source or destination HDD was full and not enough space to perform the System backup error. I even formatted the destination HDD to no effect.

Then I tried Easeus DISK BACKUP and it immediately BSOD with a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. Yet when I ran Easeus System Backup it ran without issues.

So I did another Clean Windows Installation with the same exact errors again. I googled the error and found out that if Windows System Reserved Partition was less than 350 Mbytes for Windows 10 x 64 it will cause issues.

So I downloaded first Mini-Tools Partition which was able to shrink my Windows Partition and enlarge my Recovery Partition but kept getting an error when trying to enlarge the important System Reserved Partition.

So I read about AOMEI Partition Assistant. With that software I was able to enlarge the System Reserved Partition from 75 Mbytes to 1.75 Gbytes and my Recovery Partition to 3.25 Gbytes large.

After that, Windows was working extremely well and fast.

Windows SYSTEM BACKUP created the backup much faster than when I had the normal 575 Mbyte Partition created in the past.

Easeus DISK BACKUP works as advertised without anymore BSODs errors and runs very smoothly.

I notified Easeus Tech Support since I opened a ticket trying to find out if I had a hardware or software issue. When Easeus Tech Support emailed me back to find out if I fixed the problem I made them aware of what I needed to do to fix the problem.

I tried to get a hold of MS TECH SUPPORT in the last 2 days via CHAT Feature and never got connected. So I decided to go hear instead.

NOTE: Even after doing a Clean Windows Installation I kept getting BOOTMGR IS CORRUPTED error when trying to boot up from my Blue Ray Burner. Turned out to be, either a defective SATA Cable or Motherboard SATA Port. I replaced the SATA Cable with a short 6" cable instead of the 18" SATA cable it had previously and at the same time connected it to a spare Motherboard SATA Port I had available.

What is really strange is that my Blue Burners worked fine once Windows booted up into the Desktop but would crash while booting up from them.

Now I am able to boot from my Blue Ray burner again without any problems.

So the question I have is why did Windows Installation disc created such a tiny 75 Mbytes System Reserved while in the past it used to create a System Reserved of 575 Mbytes?

I read that a 75 Mbyte System Reserved is compatible with Windows XP or Windows Vista. That Windows 10 x64 requires a minimum of 350 Mbyte Partition to work correctly.

:)

elstaci, Jul 11, 2020
  2. Alan B Win User

"Windows 10 couldn't be installed - we could update the system reserved partition"

I think you mean "could not update", not "could".

Suggestions:

• Disconnect any other hard drives.
    • Run chkdsk /f on the System Reserved partition. You'll have to do this from the CMD prompt in Repair Mode.
    • Initially there were reports of some System Reserved partitions being too small for the upgrade. Search for details if the first two suggestions fail.

Alan B, Jul 11, 2020
  3. No System Reserved Partition After Free Upgrade and Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

This is my second reply to Mr Wilson_13's reply. Mr Wilson_13's answer did no answer my question. For both upgrades I did a clean install and formatted the system partition. So there was no existing system partition in either case. The two existing Widows
    7 partitions were about the same size and neither had a recovery partition. I formatted the system partition for both clean installs.

The only differences were:

1) The first upgrade was done in October 2015 and the second one was done in June 2016.

2) For the first upgrade Microsoft required that Windows 7 first be upgraded to Windows 10 so that Windows 10 could be authorized and a product key could be obtained.

3) For the second upgrade I was allowed to skip the Windows 7 upgrade step and complete the clean install of Windows 10 and upgrade in a single step. I'm happy for that.

The differences after both clean installs were completed are as follows:

1) For the first clean install, two partitions were created: A 500 MB System Reserve Partition (CClean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition :) and and a System Partition (JClean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition :). Both partitions fit in the space formatted for the system partition.

2) For the second clean install, a single System Partition (CClean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition :) was created.

My questions:

1) Do I need the System Reserve Partition created with the first clean install? If so how is it used?

2) Should I add a System Reserve Partition for the second clean install? If so how do I do that?

3) If the System Reserve Partition created with the first clean install is not needed, can I delete it and change the drive letter for the system partition from (JClean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition :) to (CClean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition :)? My concern here is that, programs installed on that system drive may use drive
    letters for navigation. If they do, I don't want to change the drive letter because I've got days invested installing other software on the system since the clean install and I don't want to do that again.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Jul 11, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition - Similar Threads - Clean Installation created

2. How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?: Hello everyone!During Windows installation I found three primary partitions just like in the image, but there is no system reserved partition, I know that the system will ask to create it if I delete all the partitions and recreate them but I can only delete the first one...
  3. How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?: Hello everyone!During Windows installation I found three primary partitions just like in the image, but there is no system reserved partition, I know that the system will ask to create it if I delete all the partitions and recreate them but I can only delete the first one...
  4. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  5. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  6. System Reserved Partition too small

7. Win 10 clean install from USB created too small a "system reserve partition"

Win 10 clean install from USB created too small a "system reserve partition": Hi, I created the Win 10 installation media on USB from the download site around Jan 28, 2021. I used it now Feb 9 2021 to do a clean install of Win 10 and took the advanced install option. At the disk partition screen I deleted all the existing partitions on drive 0 and...
  8. Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition

Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition: Hi, I have a laptop that needs Windows 10 reinstalling on it, as it has some errors on it. The laptop was previously a Windows 7 unit but worked OK on Windows 10 for a while. My question is this: The laptop has a legacy System Reserved partition on it, which I assume is...
  9. How to create a System Reserved Partition???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create a System Reserved Partition???: In my laptop, i have 2 drives,first one is 1TB HDD which is completely empty and have no System Reserved Partition but second one is 120GB SSD, in which the windows 10 is installed and it also do have 549MB System Reserved partition. My question is there any to way to create...
  10. Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?

Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?: Hi Guys, I don't think this is a big issue, rather an oddity?... I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1703 on a new PC. Single hard-disk, newlly partitioned as follows: Partition 1: 40GB, set to "Primary, Active) - This is where Windows was...