Windows 10: Cleanest/Best Way to Upgrade to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2/VTN8?

Discus and support Cleanest/Best Way to Upgrade to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2/VTN8? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Would running the upgrade through Windows Update, and then Resetting WITHOUT keeping files be equivalent to a fresh clean install via boot/installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FlabberGhast, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Cleanest/Best Way to Upgrade to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2/VTN8?

Would running the upgrade through Windows Update, and then Resetting WITHOUT keeping files be equivalent to a fresh clean install via boot/installation media?

Also, does Windows 10 recognize devices? As in, will I still receive firmware updates for the Surface Pro 2 after Windows 10 is installed? Are there concerns regarding drivers?

TL;DR: What is the CLEANEST way to get Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2 and VivoTab Note 8?

Thanks all *Smile...

:)

FlabberGhast, Nov 11, 2015

2. Updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 before or after resetting Surface Pro 2 for another owner/user?

I want to give my Surface Pro 2 (with Windows 8.1. installed) to another person (my wife), who will need to register an account with Microsoft Live ID and become the user of the Surface Pro 2. I have Microsoft Office 365 for the family, including a license
    for this Surface Pro 2.

Is "Resetting your Surface" the best way to hand over the Surface Pro2?

If so, should I update to Windows 10 before or after resetting the Surface 2 Pro?

Thanks

SergioPagliarini, Nov 11, 2015
  3. neilpzz Win User
    New HDD

The best way will be to install Windows 10 as a clean install. It will give the cleanest and most stable OS. You can if you wish install Windows 8 first, to upgrade to Windows 10 you need first to update to Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Still think Windows 10 straight off is the best way to go.

neilpzz, Nov 11, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Cleanest/Best Way to Upgrade to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2/VTN8?

Do the update and activate so your hardware is registered at Microsoft server. Then you can clean-install the same version (Home or Pro) by skipping key, it will activate automatically. Download any drivers beforehand, since you may not have internet access at first. Since the touchscreen may not work, you may need to use a USB keyboard/mouse until you install all drivers. I don't know if you receive firmware updates through Windows Update. If there is another update utility you should download and install it. If there are no drivers for Windows 10, you can use those for 8 or 7, don't worry.

spapakons, Nov 11, 2015
  5. Thank you,

So, I can find an ATK packages for the VivoNote 8: ASUS USA

But I'm having trouble finding any driver packages for the Surface Pro 2. They all seem to redirect to a page designed for the Surface Pro 3.

As far as not receiving firmware updates through Windows Update (as Windows 8.1 DOES do on the Surface Pro 2), this is leaving me with a fair bit of unease, as these updates can do some pretty major things with battery life and general functionality.

Really appreciate the response, though. Thank you *Smile...

FlabberGhast, Nov 11, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    I am not sure, but maybe the drivers for Surface 2 are also compatible with Surface 3. Do a little research and if this is the case, download them. You can also use a utility such as Aida64 to find out exactly all the hardware of your system and then download directly from the device manufacturers (Intel, Realtek etc).

spapakons, Nov 11, 2015
  7. genet Win User
    -OR-

If you want to clean install Windows 10.

Create a bootable Windows 10 November update (build 10586) USB flash drive or DVD. -> Windows 10

If you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key, the Windows 10 installer should automatically detect product key from UEFI firmware (BIOS) and you will be taken straight to the License Agreement screen. When installation is finished, Windows 10 will be activated automatically, if your internet connection is up and running.

But if you are being prompted for a product key, it means that you have the wrong installation media and that's when the Windows 10 installer can't detect Windows 8/8.1 product key from UEFI firmware (BIOS). Note: Do not select the "I don't have a product key" option, because activation is not successful. You need to download the correct version of Windows 10.

genet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cleanest/Best Way to Upgrade to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2/VTN8?

1. Cleanest/Best Way to Upgrade to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2/VTN8? - Similar Threads - Cleanest Best Upgrade

2. Best Way To Upgrade To Windows 11From Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best Way To Upgrade To Windows 11From Windows 10: Hi everyoneI have a 2019 Dell PC..my PC is compatible with the windows 11 upgrade but I check everyday under system updates and it just does not appear yet. I did download the windows 11 upgrade assistant but have not used it yetHave read some issues with it by some folks...
  3. Best Way To Upgrade To Windows 11From Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Upgrade To Windows 11From Windows 10: Hi everyoneI have a 2019 Dell PC..my PC is compatible with the windows 11 upgrade but I check everyday under system updates and it just does not appear yet. I did download the windows 11 upgrade assistant but have not used it yetHave read some issues with it by some folks...
  4. What's best way to play VOB DVDs on Surface Pro 7?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What's best way to play VOB DVDs on Surface Pro 7?: I need to play DVDs on a Surface Pro 7, including VOB files. What's the easiest way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-best-way-to-play-vob-dvds-on-surface-pro-7/703b24d4-2e68-4631-9302-44bdc22bf9ad
  5. Best way to upgrade W 10 Home to Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to upgrade W 10 Home to Pro?: Best way to upgrade W 10 Home to Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-upgrade-w-10-home-to-pro/1312ad2b-d280-4f44-a4bd-b9f5cb8a2e41
  6. Best/easiest way to upgrade a Win 10 Home to Pro

Best/easiest way to upgrade a Win 10 Home to Pro: I have an unused Win 7 Pro (or whatever it was called back then) retail license, and I also have a Win 10 Pro VM that I really don't use. What is the easiest or best way to do an in-place upgrade of this Win 10 Home laptop? I don't want to do a fresh install, since that...
  7. windows 10 for Surface Pro 2

windows 10 for Surface Pro 2: Where can I get and download windows 10 for my Surface Pro 2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-for-surface-pro-2/b7c8b527-61c5-4bb1-9120-118dd0eaa826
  8. Trouble Upgrading Surface Laptop 2 to Windows 10 Pro

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Trouble Upgrading Surface Laptop 2 to Windows 10 Pro: Hi I recently bought Windows Surface Laptop 2 (Windows 10 Home) and a Windows 10 Pro license key. When I go to settings and change the product key it says system activated but doesn't upgrade to Win 10 Pro. How can I solve this? Regards Phemi K...
  9. Best way to upgrade to Windows 10

Best way to upgrade to Windows 10: Hiya...I am new to 10 come over from 7 forums *Smile I am from UK and run my own very small online business so my laptop is my life lol. I am soo panicking about what to do as I know I must upgrade to Windows 10 and have left is as late as possible...am currently...
  10. Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?

Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?: I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop however I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new 250gb SSD that I've just bought. What would be the best way to do this? Would I need to backup all my data, create a Windows 8 bootable USB, install Windows 8 on the SSD, put...