Windows 10: Cleaning up those last few files/folders on a fast build update.

Discus and support Cleaning up those last few files/folders on a fast build update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There is usually a couple of impossible to delete files and folders that prevents Windows Cleanup program from getting rid of the Windows.old folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by John Pombrio, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Cleaning up those last few files/folders on a fast build update.

There is usually a couple of impossible to delete files and folders that prevents Windows Cleanup program from getting rid of the Windows.old folder. To remove them, you need the file unlocker program:
    Download Unlocker 1.9.2 - FileHippo.com
    WARNING: When installing, select advanced and uncheck the Delta toolbar! Allow the extension folder option
    Go into the the Windows.old two leftover folders and select the two leftover files. Right click and use the magic file unlocker wand on them and delete the files on the drop down. Both will need to be deleted on a restart.
    After a restart, one of the leftover Windows.old folder can be deleted, but the other needs to have each individual (empty) folder to be deleted by the magic wand. Finally you can delete the Windows.old folder!

Cleaning up those last few files/folders on a fast build update. [​IMG]

:)

John Pombrio, Aug 28, 2015

2. Backup

Windows will not remove the Windows.old folder. After a few days or weeks, it is up to you, if everything runs good, Go to Disk Clean up and clean up files and system files. Select all files to clean up except the windows install log and upgrade files. There
    you will see the old windows install folder to delete and windows update clean up. If you choose windows update clean up, this takes awhile and in windows 7 and 8 I believe, you will have to restart PC and windows update clean up takes even longer to complete.

Then go to C:\ and delete the Windows.old folder if it is still there and delete the Program Files.old and the Program Files(x86).old if they are there.

seahawks65, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Nasos3 Win User
    Windows 10 File Explorer is "Working on it..."

I had the same problem very suddnely the last few days and i JUST found out that my problem was with the "quick acces". I had used some files over network drives and when I tried to open explorer while not at my workplace (where these folders are), it
    took a very lobg time to open as it was trying to access those folders.

As soon as I removed them from "quick access", Explorer opened lighting fast!!!

Nasos3, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

Cleaning up those last few files/folders on a fast build update.

1. Cleaning up those last few files/folders on a fast build update. - Similar Threads - Cleaning those last

2. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files: Hi All I have a problem where I am unable to delete 4.19Gb and growing after to running the Windows 10 Disk Clean Up function.It runs and identifies the files to delete but when i click OK it goes through the motions, but once I check if the files have been deleted they are...
  3. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files: Hi All I have a problem where I am unable to delete 4.19Gb and growing after to running the Windows 10 Disk Clean Up function.It runs and identifies the files to delete but when i click OK it goes through the motions, but once I check if the files have been deleted they are...
  4. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. %temp% folder filling up fast

in Windows 10 Gaming
    %temp% folder filling up fast: I have bought a new Lenovo laptop, it has come with windows 10, Lenovo vantage software and MacAfee antivirus.the %temp% folder is filling extremely fast, like 30gb of files in 2hr. I delete them every time I shut down or switch on and it still fills up.I am attaching a...
  6. %temp% folder filling up fast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    %temp% folder filling up fast: I have bought a new Lenovo laptop, it has come with windows 10, Lenovo vantage software and MacAfee antivirus.the %temp% folder is filling extremely fast, like 30gb of files in 2hr. I delete them every time I shut down or switch on and it still fills up.I am attaching a...
  7. Windows clean up tool won't clean update folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows clean up tool won't clean update folder: I've ran WIndows update successfully ,I've tried running the update troubleshooter,and it was OK. I keep showing it needs to clean 9.65 GB every time even though it completes the cleaning process....
  8. Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB: Windows 10 just installed the latest update. It did take a little longer than usual to restart. I went to do a clean-up and backup before shutting down for the night and it claims I have 3.99TB of old Windows Update files. The fact I only have a 500gb SSD drive, I find...
  9. nice & clean & FAST!

in Windows 10 Support
    nice & clean & FAST!: what are your suggestions to keep a clean fast pc? at the moment i am just using ccleaner & windows defragmenter but don't know alot about this subject so i want to know if i am doing the best thing here i know about registry cleaners, all cleaners sell them selves as...
  10. Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build: How to: Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build [img] Information Microsoft has a clear policy to release ISO images for Windows 10 Insiders only when a build will be released to Slow Ring. Quite a many of us keen Fast Ring Windows Insiders create an ISO...