Windows 10: Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have left over the "Windows.old" file on my C drive, which is taking up 36.8GB of precious space. I know deleting this will prevent me from "going... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChuckWheat, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade

So I have left over the "Windows.old" file on my C drive, which is taking up 36.8GB of precious space. I know deleting this will prevent me from "going back to windows 7", the option in the settings.
    I have a Macrium reflect image of my C drive that I made right before I upgraded. Could I delete the .old folder, and later downgrade with the reflect image if I really wanted to? I'm not likely to go back to windows 7 unless I discover a HUGE problem.
    I have also the "$Windows.~BT" and "$Windows.~WS" folders taking up 3.6GB and 5.6GB of space, respectively.
    These are from Windows Update, correct? All updates have been installed according to the updater. These appeared before the upgrade. I should also note I executed the upgrade manually through the tool Microsoft supplied.

Any other space I could save?

:)

ChuckWheat, Jul 31, 2015

2. Revert back to 7 no option in recovery

Hi Paul,

I realize that you are facing issues rolling back to Windows 7.

You may please check if the Windows.old folder is present in the C:\ drive.

Windows.old folder will be created when you upgrade from previous Windows version to Windows 10.

This folder is important to rollback to previous operating system, if this folder is removed then you can't rollback to Windows 7.

After upgrading to Windows 10, did you perform a disk clean-up (clean-up system files)?

Please be informed that the if you performed a disk clean-up(clean-up system files) the Windows.old folder will be removed.

You may check and get back with the information.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Activation After Failed Upgrade

Hi,

To do a clean install for free, you first have had to upgraded from within your up and running and Activated qualifying Operating System; in your case Windows 7 and also have activated the free upgrade to 10.

Reinstall windows 7 and then do the free upgrade correctly.

After the free Upgrade to 10 is activated, you may do a clean install.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade

1. Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Cleaning Files Upgrade

2. Clean up files after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean up files after Upgrade: Split from this thread. Can anyone help WhenI update windows 7 to windows 10 I encounter some problem so I came back to windows 10but there are some files which are from windows 10 what to do about that it is taking my disk space tell me, please...
  3. Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10

Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10: My Dad said he wanted a fresh install of windows 10, he previously has upgraded from win 7 to 10. I have already prepared an installation media with the media creation tool but it was done on my old pc and I selected to upgrade for another pc / ISO creation rather than...
  4. Activate clean Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Upgrade Key

Activate clean Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Upgrade Key: I have a PC that I've been running for many years and it originally had Windows XP which was upgraded to Windows 7 Pro using a purchased Windows 7 Pro Upgrade key. This PC was then later upgraded for free to Windows 10, however the hard drive has failed and I'm replacing the...
  5. Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Hi, I did the following: 1. Was using Windows 7 and had a directory of encrypted files 2. Replaced the motherboard and CPU, added a new SSD as the system drive (C:) , and added the previous system drive as an additional drive (G:) 3. Clean installed Windows 10 on the...
  6. Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit when Windows 10 launched, then a few months later, around New Year I decided to do a clean install. I made an installation disc with the program from Microsoft's website and did the procedure, skipping...
  7. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...
  8. PC not automatically booting up after upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Support
    PC not automatically booting up after upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: I had my PC set up through the BIOS settings to automatically boot up at certain times and days while running Windows 7. After the upgrade to 10, the PC doesn't boot up like before. I checked the BIOS settings, and they're still set up the same way so I'm not sure why the PC...
  9. Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot: OK, I have Windows 7 OEM Version and want to upgrade to Windows 10 After I get Windows 10 Activated through the upgrade can I... Clean install Windows 7 (with Original 7 key) and clean install Windows 10 (should automatically activate) to have a dual boot? Or is Microsoft...
  10. How to do a clean install after upgrade from 7 to 10 problems

How to do a clean install after upgrade from 7 to 10 problems: I upgraded from Win 7 pro about a month ago hoping that would cure some problems I had with Win 7. It did not and Win 10 is working poorly too. I would like to do a clean install of Win 10 but not sure if I can get the correct Win 10 install file just from my Win 7 pro...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cleaning windows 7 after upgrade to 10