Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; So I have left over the "Windows.old" file on my C drive, which is taking up 36.8GB of precious space. I know deleting this will prevent me from "going... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChuckWheat, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ChuckWheat Win User

So I have left over the "Windows.old" file on my C drive, which is taking up 36.8GB of precious space. I know deleting this will prevent me from "going back to windows 7", the option in the settings.
    I have a Macrium reflect image of my C drive that I made right before I upgraded. Could I delete the .old folder, and later downgrade with the reflect image if I really wanted to? I'm not likely to go back to windows 7 unless I discover a HUGE problem.
    I have also the "$Windows.~BT" and "$Windows.~WS" folders taking up 3.6GB and 5.6GB of space, respectively.
    These are from Windows Update, correct? All updates have been installed according to the updater. These appeared before the upgrade. I should also note I executed the upgrade manually through the tool Microsoft supplied.

Any other space I could save?

:)

ChuckWheat, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Deepak Kodi Win User

Revert back to 7 no option in recovery

Hi Paul,

I realize that you are facing issues rolling back to Windows 7.

You may please check if the Windows.old folder is present in the C:\ drive.

Windows.old folder will be created when you upgrade from previous Windows version to Windows 10.

This folder is important to rollback to previous operating system, if this folder is removed then you can't rollback to Windows 7.

After upgrading to Windows 10, did you perform a disk clean-up (clean-up system files)?

Please be informed that the if you performed a disk clean-up(clean-up system files) the Windows.old folder will be removed.

You may check and get back with the information.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Bill Smithers Win User
    Windows 10 Activation After Failed Upgrade

Hi,

To do a clean install for free, you first have had to upgraded from within your up and running and Activated qualifying Operating System; in your case Windows 7 and also have activated the free upgrade to 10.

Reinstall windows 7 and then do the free upgrade correctly.

After the free Upgrade to 10 is activated, you may do a clean install.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade

Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Cleaning Files Upgrade

1. How can I clean these .MUM and .CAT files from failed updates?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I clean these .MUM and .CAT files from failed updates?: Thanks for the info will see how it works...I'm still on v1703 but that won't change anything will it? Going to wait for the next release to upgrade. Hell an upgrade would probably clear up my problem now wouldn't it? *chuckle Suppose I could wait on that LOL!
  2. Cleaning windows files with CCleaner

in Windows 10 Support
    Cleaning windows files with CCleaner: I need suggestion about cleaning windows files with CCleaner, what files can i remove safely without damaging my OS. And which one should i checklist from menu. I am adding some screenshots. [img] [img] 80098
  3. Audio music files crash Windows (1607), even after clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Audio music files crash Windows (1607), even after clean install: I'm at a loss. With 1511, everything was fine. Since going to 1607 a couple of months ago, things have gone haywire, as documented in other threads.* Among the biggest problems has been that music files played via players (not online streaming) invariably crash during the...
  4. Clean File Repository - Save Valuable Disk Space With This Trick

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean File Repository - Save Valuable Disk Space With This Trick: *This trick/tutorial is only viable for those who had their system setups for a while and had been constantly updating their drivers to the latest. So while I was lately focused on fixing a crash caused by windows update service attempting to force update my graphics...
  5. Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?: Just a curiosity of mine - Is there a difference between a clean install and performing an upgrade while keeping only the files? In other words, is this sort of upgrade the same as a clean install, only with the files restored to 'documents', desktop, etc.? Or, does the new...
  6. Files To Clean Up After An Abortive Upgrade From Win 8.1 Pro x64 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Files To Clean Up After An Abortive Upgrade From Win 8.1 Pro x64 ?: Does anyone know what to clean up after an upgrade attempt from Win 8.1 Pro w/MC x64 to Win 10 Pro failed (posted separately about that)?? The reason I ask is when I tried it a second time it didn't get past the 1st reboot before sending me back to my old OS. That usually...
  7. Clean Windows 10 install due to corrupt file system/no boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean Windows 10 install due to corrupt file system/no boot: Grettings All, I'm currently working on a laptop for a friend that has Windows 10 and is in a non bootable state with missing files, directories, reset options and is stuck in the "Unable to Fix" state. I'm pretty sure the issue is related to BCD and boot options but all...
Cleaning Up Windows 7 Files After 10 Upgrade solved