Windows 10: cleanmgr no longer removes "windows Update Clean-up" files in w10 2004 OS build 19041.423

Discus and support cleanmgr no longer removes "windows Update Clean-up" files in w10 2004 OS build 19041.423 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; as title. even running as administrator via the command prompt cleanmgr via "clean up system files" does not remove "windows Update Clean-up" files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PeteHat_iow, Aug 1, 2020.

1. cleanmgr no longer removes "windows Update Clean-up" files in w10 2004 OS build 19041.423

as title.

even running as administrator via the command prompt cleanmgr via "clean up system files" does not remove "windows Update Clean-up" files anymore. the size of the files there have been slowly growing from 1.7gb to now 2.68gb after each w10 automatic update.

i have tried "andre's method" of dleeting the SoftwareDistribution folder after stopping some services. no luck.

i have tried another method of using the cmd prompt to run cleanmgr with extra sage set, no dice.

it seems my system is going to carry on bloating itself. the drive windows is on is 1tb m.2 2280, space is not an issue, however this is far from working as intended and i like to keep my machine as trim of bloat and unneeded files as possible.

cleanmgr no longer removes "windows Update Clean-up" files in w10 2004 OS build 19041.423 e3d39add-2345-457a-a7fa-cab908ea5dcb?upload=true.png

i have restarted the machine after running cleanmgr and i have even tried doing it from safe mode with part of andres method of stopping services.

this does not happen on my old HP pavilion laptop, in fact thatis running fine and windows deletes the files fine.

i have also tried from cmd prompt:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

these report windows as being fine.

any help with this matter would be great. thank you.

:)

PeteHat_iow, Aug 1, 2020

2. system clean up

• Right-click start and choose "Run" then type cleanmgr ("cleanup manager") and click OK.
    • If asked to choose a drive, pick your C: drive (or wherever Windows is installed).
    • In the popup, ignore everything and click the "Clean up system files" button. Don't miss this step.
    • Now you can select all the update-related stuff above to clear it out (or clear it all, all of it is safe to remove if you want to free space).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 1, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Disk Clean up tool

Try 3 steps below:
    1. Download TFC Temporary file removal tool . Right click and run as admin.
      Note: This program will kill some background processes in order to delete the locked temp files.
    2. Open Admin command and run cleanmgr in extended mode, put check marks on everything:
      %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    3. Run cleanmgr in normal mode again to see if Temporary Internet Files were deleted.

topgundcp, Aug 1, 2020
  4. cleanmgr no longer removes "windows Update Clean-up" files in w10 2004 OS build 19041.423

Accidentally Cancelled An Update - Which files can be removed to clear space

• Right-click start and choose "Run" then type cleanmgr ("cleanup manager") and click OK.
    • If asked to choose a drive, pick your C: drive (or wherever Windows is installed).
    • In the popup, ignore everything and click the "Clean up system files" button. Don't miss this step.
    • Now you can select all the update-related stuff above to clear it out (or clear it all, all of it is safe to remove if you want to free space).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

cleanmgr no longer removes "windows Update Clean-up" files in w10 2004 OS build 19041.423

1. cleanmgr no longer removes "windows Update Clean-up" files in w10 2004 OS build 19041.423 - Similar Threads - cleanmgr longer removes

2. Bluescreen loop , windows build 19041

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bluescreen loop , windows build 19041: Hello, after ive been able to postpone the update for about a 2 months i forgot to do it again and it updated. After servicing stack 10.0.19041.1081 was installed i cant uninstall it and go back to a working version.The error code i get is 0xc000021aThe updates that might...
  3. Windows 10 64bit 2004 build 19041 suddenly disconnect from network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 64bit 2004 build 19041 suddenly disconnect from network.: I'm suffering with randomly disconnect while gaming or even normal use. I didn't install any anti virus software to my system and always turn on auto update. I reinstalled twice a week and let it auto update to the latest but problem still persists. This is current driver...
  4. computer forced an update 2 days ago to version 2004 OS Build 19041/450

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer forced an update 2 days ago to version 2004 OS Build 19041/450: The computer prompted me that I needed to install the latest version o Windows 10 2 days ago. It took several hours. When I was able to access my computer, I still had Office but needed to connect my One Drive and other apps. Then I had to set up my Chrome browser. Today...
  5. MSIX Toolkit updated for Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041

in Windows 10 News
    MSIX Toolkit updated for Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041: We have released a refresh to the MSIX Toolkit. The Toolkit has been updated with redistributables from the Windows 10, version 2004 SDK. In addition we have created easy to download individual .zip files for x86 and x64. MSIX Toolkit is available on Github: GitHub -...
  6. Build 19041 Issues

Build 19041 Issues: I lost my email - rebuilt it from backups I lost my turbo tax 2019 - am rebuilding it from a backup I lost all my saved passwords - gone no rebuild I lost my video display - had to resort to vga and reinstall video drivers I lost printers - am trying to rebuild those...
  7. DPC_Watchdog_Error on Build 19041

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_Watchdog_Error on Build 19041: Earlier this morning, my Windows PC HP Envy m6 using AMD crashed. Please view the dump file here. Suggesting that users uninstall third party antivirus software is callous and irresponsible, no matter how much better you believe Microsoft Defender has become. Under no...
  8. CleanMgr+ and old updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    CleanMgr+ and old updates: Installed CleanMgr+ and it has an option to uninstall old updates??? How can I tell which update is no longer needed? 131957
  9. CleanMgr+ and old updates

in Windows 10 Support
    CleanMgr+ and old updates: Installed CleanMgr+ and it has an option to uninstall old updates??? How can I tell which update is no longer needed? 131957
  10. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...