Windows 10: Cleanup orphan/hidden devices

Discus and support Cleanup orphan/hidden devices in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been following this thread, trying to fix the problem with the erroneous USB flask disks icons. According to the fix recommendation -which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ddelo, Nov 23, 2019.

1. ddelo Win User

Cleanup orphan/hidden devices

I have been following this thread, trying to fix the problem with the erroneous USB flask disks icons.
    According to the fix recommendation -which worked perfectly- there is a need to clear all phantom USB/Volume/Portable Devices from Device Manager.
    That is a cumbersome task, especially if the number of these unneeded devices grows significantly over time. In my case there were 90 of them, so I had to select 90 devices and delete them one by one in Device Manager. Apparently there was a need for a more automated process to delete them.

Trying to find a better way I came through a post from one of our distinguished fellow members, Ed Tittel
    The recommended by Ed 3rd party app, seems to be working as it’s supposed to and helps delete hidden/phantom devices.

But… this, after all, is TenForums and we’re accustomed in doing things “our way”, i.e. with Microsoft’s own tools.

So to start, you can view all orphan devices, i.e. devices that are not currently connected to your computer
    Open Device Manager and click View > Show hidden devices.
    All devices in gray color are not currently connected to your computer.
    Some of these devices, like old USB flash disks, or old external disks are not needed and can be safely removed.
    This can be done in Device Manager, as said before, by pressing delete on these hidden devices.

Cleanup orphan/hidden devices [​IMG]

Automating this process, to be able to delete multiple devices at once, can be done with the use of a simple PowerShell script, with the help from Microsoft’s Device console tool, DevCon.

DevCon (Devcon.exe), the Windows Device Console, is a command-line tool that displays detailed information about devices on computers running Windows. You can use DevCon to enable, disable, install, configure, and remove devices. In other words, it's the command line alternative of Device Manager.

If you don’t already have this tool, you can get it easily by following these steps.
    The DevCon.exe tool is provided free of charge as part of the Windows Driver Kit.

1. Use this link to download the latest Windows 10 Driver Kit. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2085767
    2. Run the file and choose "Download the Windows Driver Kit for installation on a separate computer.
    3. Once the WDK is downloaded go to the location you saved it and within the Installers folder find the file 787bee96dbd26371076b37b13c405890.cab
    4. Using 7zip (or your favorite file extractor), open the cab file and extract the file named: filbad6e2cce5ebc45a401e19c613d0a28f
    5. Rename this file to devcon.exe and there you have it. The latest devcon.exe

Now to cleanup these unwanted orphan devices.

1 Go to your desktop and create a folder (e.g. Cleanup).

2 Copy the devcon.exe file and paste it in that folder.

3 Download the PowerShell script RemoveHiddenDevices.ps1.

Download

4 Save it in the Desktop folder where the devcon.exe is located and unblock it.

5 Open Powershell as Administrator and navigate to the folder where the PowerShell script and the devcon.exe reside.

If you haven't already changed the PowerShell ExecutionPolicy to allow running scripts, you need to do it. So before running the script (or any other script, from a source you trust), run the following command to allow the script to run in the current PowerShell session.

Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process

Remember that closing the PowerShell window your ExecutionPolicy returns to its defaults, for every new PowerShell window (session).

6 Run the script by typing the command: .\RemoveHiddenDevices.ps1

7 Upon execution of the script, a new PowerShell window (Out-Gridview) will open, in which all the hidden devices that are allowed to be deleted will be presented, so you can select which devices you want to remove.

Note The hidden, orphan devices, that are allowed to be removed and will be shown in that selection window, are the ones that are greyed-out in Device Manager, under the following classes:
    • Disk Drives (DiskDrive)
    • Portable Devices (WPD)
    • Storage Volumes (Volume)
    • Universal Serial Bus Controllers (USB)

8 Go through that list carefully and select the hidden devices that you want to remove. Select all devices by pressing Ctrl+A, or select some of the devices by holding down Ctrl while selecting each device.

9 Once you selected the devices you want to remove, press the OK button at the bottom of this window.

The selection window will be closed and you will be moved to the underlying PowerShell console window where you’ll see the results of the script.

That's it. You have cleaned the hidden/orphan devices from your system.
    You can now close the PowerShell window, if you wish.... as Shawn @Brink would have said! *Smile

HTH!

:)

ddelo, Nov 23, 2019

2. Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Nov 23, 2019
  3. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Nov 23, 2019
  4. AndreePin Win User

Imaging Devices missing in Device Manager and Webcam doesn't working

Hi,

Since you mentioned that the said driver is missing in Device Manager, what we suggest is for you to check in the Hidden Devices section on Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps below:

• On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.
    • Click on View and select
      Show Hidden Devices.
    • Check for the webcam under Imaging Devices.
    • If the webcam is listed, then right-click on it and select
      Update Driver Software
    • Select Browse My Computer for Driver Software and follow the prompted steps.
    Please post back with the result for further assistance

AndreePin, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Cleanup orphan/hidden devices - Similar Threads - Cleanup orphan hidden

2. Realtek audio hidden devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek audio hidden devices: My realtek audio suddenly missing and i found it as a hidden device on device manager. Have tried to update it but nothing worked. I want to uninstall it but I'm afraid that I will completely lost the audio driver....
  3. bluetooth device hidden in the device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluetooth device hidden in the device manager: somehow the bluetooth disapear from my quick panel settings and device manager i tried update my window and tried alot of method still doenst work can someone help me how to fix it...
  4. bluetooth device hidden in the device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bluetooth device hidden in the device manager: somehow the bluetooth disapear from my quick panel settings and device manager i tried update my window and tried alot of method still doenst work can someone help me how to fix it...
  5. Bluetooth is gone and is in hidden devices

Bluetooth is gone and is in hidden devices: Hey the Bluetooth is gone and is in hidden devices. last time the solution was uninstalling an unknown USB device but when I do it know it keeps coming back what do I do?...
  6. All USB devices hidden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB devices hidden: None of my USB devices are showing up in File Explorer and they are hidden inDevice Manager. If I plug them in one at a time they were on a powered USB multiplier the only one that shows up is a USB drive the others are a drawing pad, a foot pedal, a portable hard drive, and...
  7. All USB devices hidden

All USB devices hidden: None of my USB devices are showing up in File Explorer and they are hidden inDevice Manager. If I plug them in one at a time they were on a powered USB multiplier the only one that shows up is a USB drive the others are a drawing pad, a foot pedal, a portable hard drive, and...
  8. How to undo a Orphaned Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to undo a Orphaned Account: So today I made a huge mistake, I searched on google on how to change my username and I opened run and I did "control userpasswords2" I messaged a windows advisor and he told me that I had an "Orphaned account". He told me to do a system restore but I cannot open control...
  9. Hidden devices reconnection

Hidden devices reconnection: Hi, my webcam is now among hidden devices (probably by mistake). So, it is visible in the Hidden devices list in the Device Manager. But I want to use it. How to unhide such a hidden device and re-connect it to use? (Windows 10) Can anyone advise me please? Many thanks. 165565
  10. Unify orphan mouses and receivers

Unify orphan mouses and receivers: Hi! I have two wireless mouses 1850 and two receivers 1850. None of them match together. The original mouses and receivers have been lost by employees. Is there a way to unify those I have left together? Thank you! Souriane...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. RemoveHiddenDevices.ps1