Windows 10: Clear things safely from Windows\Installer folder?

Discus and support Clear things safely from Windows\Installer folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all - I have a lady who asked me to do an SSD upgrade on her Toshiba laptop running Win10 (latest version). It's got a 500GB drive and the drive I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkstrike, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Clear things safely from Windows\Installer folder?

Hey all - I have a lady who asked me to do an SSD upgrade on her Toshiba laptop running Win10 (latest version).

It's got a 500GB drive and the drive I purchased for the upgrade is a 256GB Crucial MX500 SSD. I purchased a smaller one because I know she has very few programs and files on the machine...but...

The thing is, even though she has next to no programs and very little data on her laptop, the Windows\Installer folder is taking up 140GB of space!?!?

Clear things safely from Windows\Installer folder? [​IMG]

Is there a safe way to clear some of this junk from the Windows/Installer folder? I mean, it HAS to be junk, she's got next to nothing on the machine! Orphaned installers or the like maybe...?

Thanks for any suggestions!

:)

Darkstrike, Jul 13, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Jul 13, 2020
  4. Clear things safely from Windows\Installer folder?

Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

Clear things safely from Windows\Installer folder?

1. Clear things safely from Windows\Installer folder? - Similar Threads - Clear things safely

2. Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?: My virtual memory is a bit high, I do have it set to let windows automatically handle it. people have been telling me enabling clearing Virtual memory on shut down is safe and in some cases recommended for security reasons. And many others told me it wasn't safe but that was...
  3. Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?: My virtual memory is a bit high, I do have it set to let windows automatically handle it. people have been telling me enabling clearing Virtual memory on shut down is safe and in some cases recommended for security reasons. And many others told me it wasn't safe but that was...
  4. Is it safe to clear page file sys

Is it safe to clear page file sys: my page file sys is using a bit of data. I was wondering it is safe to clear it to 0 just once. I dont want to disable it just clear it to 0. I saw online you can clear it to zero on shut down but i question weather its safe and if it is safe how would i go about doing it so...
  5. Is it safe to clear page file sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to clear page file sys: my page file sys is using a bit of data. I was wondering it is safe to clear it to 0 just once. I dont want to disable it just clear it to 0. I saw online you can clear it to zero on shut down but i question weather its safe and if it is safe how would i go about doing it so...
  6. Is it safe to clear page file sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Recents Folder will not clear from File Explorer

Recents Folder will not clear from File Explorer: How to clear "Recent Folders" from display in Window File Explorer. When I use "Change Folder and Search Options" and select "Clear" with both Show Files... and Show Folders... box checked, the list of Files will clear but the list of Folders will not clear. Any help will be...
  8. Is this Start thing safe?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is this Start thing safe?: [ATTACH] So i found this in my Task Manager Processes and i wanna ask if this is a real process or a fake? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-start-thing-safe/10a79e0c-e6aa-41f2-9769-22085cca978c
  9. Clearing Desktop Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clearing Desktop Folders: Hello, I am looking to speed up my desktop computer. I read about moving folders into libraries, but it doesnt physically remove them from the desktop in order to free up space (currently using 109 GB of space on the desktop). When I added a folder into a library, and then...
  10. Help clearing things up regarding redirecting user folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help clearing things up regarding redirecting user folders: Hi, I am a bit confused about redirecting user folders in Windows 10, that is move the user folders like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc FROM my C-drive which is the default drive, TO a new drive, for example D-Drive where I have my Old Documents, Picture and Music...