Windows 10: Clearing Desktop Folders

Discus and support Clearing Desktop Folders in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I am looking to speed up my desktop computer. I read about moving folders into libraries, but it doesnt physically remove them from the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by natmad, Jun 29, 2020.

1. natmad Win User

Clearing Desktop Folders

Hello, I am looking to speed up my desktop computer. I read about moving folders into libraries, but it doesnt physically remove them from the desktop in order to free up space (currently using 109 GB of space on the desktop). When I added a folder into a library, and then deleted the folder from the desktop, it removed the contents of that folder from the library. So my question is, how do I move the folders into libraries to free up the desktop space so my computer speeds up? BTW-using Windows 10. Thanks!

:)

natmad, Jun 29, 2020

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 29, 2020
  4. MohanC Win User

Clearing Desktop Folders

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Clearing Desktop Folders

1. Clearing Desktop Folders - Similar Threads - Clearing Desktop Folders

2. Why has my desktop cleared?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has my desktop cleared?: Hi all, I just opened my laptop to see that my desktop has been cleared of all icons and wallpaper has changed. Thankfully the files seem to all be in my onedrive in a synced 'Desktop' folder so I am currently moving everything out. Just confused as to why this happened,...
  3. Why has my desktop cleared?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why has my desktop cleared?: Hi all, I just opened my laptop to see that my desktop has been cleared of all icons and wallpaper has changed. Thankfully the files seem to all be in my onedrive in a synced 'Desktop' folder so I am currently moving everything out. Just confused as to why this happened,...
  4. Can I clear the Prefetch folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I clear the Prefetch folder?: Hi,I have my old laptop and my new laptop. My old laptop gets barely usable so I was trying 5 days to clear it somehow just for fun.While exploring the Windows folder to find something useful or useless, I found the Prefetch folder. At first it was locked so I clicked...
  5. Can I clear the Prefetch folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clear the Prefetch folder?: Hi,I have my old laptop and my new laptop. My old laptop gets barely usable so I was trying 5 days to clear it somehow just for fun.While exploring the Windows folder to find something useful or useless, I found the Prefetch folder. At first it was locked so I clicked...
  6. Can I clear the Prefetch folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. refresh folders after clearing searchbar??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    refresh folders after clearing searchbar??: Hi everyone, I have some questions...Do I really need to manually refresh any folder after using its search bar? Like even Windows 7 knew that when I clear my search bar after the fact I'm probably done with searching and want to see the regular folder data again. What does...
  8. desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder: Through transferring data from one computer to another, I've ended up with multiple desktop folders inside of the desktop folder inside of file explorer. Combining those folders seems to be a bit of a task and one drive seems complicate this issue. 171578
  9. Desktops clear upon shutdown?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktops clear upon shutdown?: I am thinking of setting up multiple desktops for my different workflows (I do a lot of complex things from stocks to programming), each with special layouts that I find bothersome to reopen every time I want to switch activities. Is there a way for these layouts to stay even...
  10. Clear up AppData folder/s

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear up AppData folder/s: Hi, Does anybody know of any application that can cross-check your registry and/or Program Files folder with the appdata folder to delete any folders to programs that no longer exist on your pc.? I have a 128GB SSD and I'm trying to get rid of alot of space because it...