Windows 10: Clearing File History Drive

Discus and support Clearing File History Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I use File History, Windows 10 2004. Over time, the File History drive gets full. Often that's because some folders have got very large and I no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by arnoldh, Nov 3, 2020.

1. arnoldh Win User

Clearing File History Drive

I use File History, Windows 10 2004. Over time, the File History drive gets full. Often that's because some folders have got very large and I no longer need them in the backup. I want to remove these folders from the backup drive (not just stop them being backed up to the drive in the future). I cannot find anything in the many tutorials in TenForums that allows me to do this.

There is a tutorial explaining how to remove folders from being backed up (in the future). There's a tutorial that explains how how to purge backed up versions of files down to the latest versions. Neither of these gets rid of existing unwanted large backed up folders on the backup drive.

Essentially I want File History to start afresh by making a new baseline of all the folders I've selected for backup (before I do this I make a full backup of the File History drive in case I need to restore earlier file versions in the future).

The only way I've found to make a completely fresh backup is to ask File History to change to a new drive, saying I don't want to copy existing files to the new drive. I then format the original File History backup drive. Then I tell File History to use the original (now empty) backup drive, saying I don't want to copy any existing backup files. This forces File History to make a new backup of all the folders I've selected for backup.

This works. The size of the File History drive is now much smaller. But it seems a convoluted way to do something that should be provided from within File History.

Am I missing something?

:)

arnoldh, Nov 3, 2020
  2. acomic Win User

File explorer search history is not clearing

Hi

I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it.

Search History in File Explorer - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Any help would be appreciated.

acomic, Nov 3, 2020
  3. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Nov 3, 2020
  4. Clearing File History Drive

File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Nov 3, 2020
Thema:

Clearing File History Drive

1. Clearing File History Drive - Similar Threads - Clearing File History

2. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  3. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  4. File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History drive: I keep getting reminders to reconnect my File History drive but I dont know how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/a235d77c-2a4a-44ab-a636-059ad866d9d1
  5. Clear Search History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clear Search History: I don't mean Bing or Google. I refer to the word search from within File History. In the upper right corner. As I remember, I used to be able to hover over an item in the drop down list and hit the Delete key....
  6. clearing search history not clearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    clearing search history not clearing: I have tried the *** under history I still have search data. I have tried logging onto Microsoft to clear but the history still remains How do I clear this search history and keep it from storing?...
  7. Clear web history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clear web history: How do I completely clear the web browsing history on my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-web-history/eb2401c4-163d-44bb-9cc9-771151d26339
  8. Movie maker clear history/files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movie maker clear history/files...: How to clear windows movie maker history?? and why isn't there like a clear history button? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movie-maker-clear-historyfiles/dc21f761-abeb-414a-8c10-e69f50a4da3c
  9. File explorer search history is not clearing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer search history is not clearing: Hi I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it. Search History in File Explorer - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums...
  10. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10: How to: Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 How to Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 Clearing File Explorer history deletes the information Windows saved about the files and folders you use as well as what you've typed...