Windows 10: Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD

Discus and support Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, is there a way to clear recent files and folders in file Explorer and to turn it off on the side bar so that it only shows pinned folders? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikusmate, Jul 16, 2019.

1. mikusmate Win User

Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD

Hello,
    is there a way to clear recent files and folders in file Explorer and to turn it off on the side bar so that it only shows pinned folders?
    I mean this:

Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD [​IMG]

:)

mikusmate, Jul 16, 2019
  2. zzeiss Win User

Clear the recent list in File explorer

Original Title[File Explorer]

When I right click at Windows 10 File Explorer icon on taskbar it shows me pinned and recent items. How to clear the recent list? I tried turning off setting "Show recently opened items in Jump list on Start or the taskbar", and clearing history in file
    explorer under folder options. Nothing worked, list is still there.

zzeiss, Jul 16, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD

eidairaman1, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD

1. Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD - Similar Threads - Clearing Recent files

2. Windows 11 not clearing recent files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not clearing recent files: I have a bunch of files showing in the file explorer recent list going back several months, many which are indicating they are housed on SharePoint or on one of two OneDrive accounts, only one of which I synch with. However, when I go into the file explorer and select all the...
  3. Windows 11 not clearing recent files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not clearing recent files: I have a bunch of files showing in the file explorer recent list going back several months, many which are indicating they are housed on SharePoint or on one of two OneDrive accounts, only one of which I synch with. However, when I go into the file explorer and select all the...
  4. Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.: A folder in %appdata%, name .minecraft, I want remove that folder, because I have another folder want place it to there, and also name .minecraft.When I trying to remove it, it just show up a messeage:Also, I can not open it.Then I tried to remove it in cmd, in cmd, this...
  5. Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.: A folder in %appdata%, name .minecraft, I want remove that folder, because I have another folder want place it to there, and also name .minecraft.When I trying to remove it, it just show up a messeage:Also, I can not open it.Then I tried to remove it in cmd, in cmd, this...
  6. Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Recents Folder will not clear from File Explorer

Recents Folder will not clear from File Explorer: How to clear "Recent Folders" from display in Window File Explorer. When I use "Change Folder and Search Options" and select "Clear" with both Show Files... and Show Folders... box checked, the list of Files will clear but the list of Folders will not clear. Any help will be...
  8. Windows Explorer Frequent Folders and Recent Files

Windows Explorer Frequent Folders and Recent Files: 4-6 weeks ago, folders listed in Quick Access / Frequent Folders disappeared, leaving only Desktop, Downloads, Documents and Folders. All Quick Access / Recent Files disappeared entirely. I suspect an automatic update is the culprit. I have searched high and low for a...
  9. Slow File Explorer fixed via clearing AutomaticDesinations?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow File Explorer fixed via clearing AutomaticDesinations?: Ever since 3 days ago, I've had an issue where file explorer takes a long time to load if a click on a file, but is snappy if I click on anything else. I did download an ASUS 'EZflash' firmware update around this time, so that may be a culprit. I've tried every google...
  10. File Explorer and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Recent Files: At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g. \\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cmd file explorer disable Recent Items and Frequent Folders history