Windows 10: ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

Discus and support ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 20, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

Hi folks.

Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days.

anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast.
    You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to do.

Clearos :

ClearOS – OS for your Server, Network, and Gateway Systems

Might be interesting to play with this on a VM.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 20, 2017
  2. AlanCam Win User

Win 10 Build 10547 no longer finds NAS on network

I have a small network of Windows machines (virtual and physical).

The VM on which I try out the fast ring builds can no longer see my NAS after upgrading to 10547.

One of my Physical machines exhibits the same, no NAS.

I have rolled back my VM to 10532 and it can see the NAS and then re-upgraded to 10547 and it then cannot see the NAS.

All my other machines Win7 AND Win10 not on fast ring can see the NAS.

AlanCam, Nov 20, 2017
  3. adiik Win User
    Win 7 to 10 upgrade broke access to Bluearc NAS Filesystem shares

I upgrade my work win 7 VM to Win 10 last week. We use Bluearc NAS and Isilon NAS at work as our primary content servers (that store large media files). I used to be able to access all shares on the NAS before the upgrade to 10, even had drives mapped to
    key shares.

Since the upgrade I am unable to access any of the Bluearc NAS shares. I get back the standard "The network path was not found." (Error code: 0x80070035). This is not a domain account permissions issue or something as I am able to access the shares from
    Win7 VM's. Access to Isilon NAS shares also works fine.

My infrastructure team told me that they had similar issues when they upgraded to Win 8 and Server 2012 and forwarded the following workaround... but this workaround did not seem to help with Windows 10.

Obviously the upgrade to 10 broken something and I was hoping this community can provide some inputs on how to workaround this problem.

Known Workaround for Win 8 and Server 2012:

Basically, Windows 8 and Server 2012, now has SMB2 Signing turned on by default unlike Windows 7. The BlueArc NAS currently does not support SMB2 signing yet.

Recommended Change:

The workaround is to disable “Secure Negotiate” on the Windows client side by running the following PowerShell command:

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force

Also make sure SMB Required Security Signature is set to false by running the following in PowerShell:

Get-SmbClientConfiguration –RequireSecuritySignature

RequireSecuritySignature : False

Note: If SmbClientConfiguration is set to true and “Secure Negotiate” is disabled SMB/CIFS authentication will fail.

adiik, Nov 20, 2017
Thema:

ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

1. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM - Similar Threads - ClearOS headless NAS

2. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  3. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Support
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  4. W2K19 Server VM vs W10 Pro VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W2K19 Server VM vs W10 Pro VM: Hi folks : Seems crazy that on KVM/QEMU on a 64 GB RAM HOST - W2K19 server only needs as default 2 vCPU's (out of 16 available on my machine) and 2GB RAM whilst the recommended config for W10 PRO is 4 vCPU's and 4GB RAM. As I've mentioned elsewhere the W2K19 SERVER really...
  5. XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers

XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers: Hi there If you need access for an XP system whether a Virtual Machine or a physical installation to access large NAS drives on Linux type NAS systems (e.g several TB size of modern HDD's) you will need to add these 2 lines in your SAMBA config (usually in...
  6. Windows as a media server with VM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows as a media server with VM: Hi I got an old Asus U46E with a i7-2620M and 8go ram (looking to update the ram) I'm using it a media player (mostly streming with emby and, netflix) with some google search. For now i have an ubuntu with Pihole, the emby server, pivpn, and a bit more Is there some stuff...
  7. VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver): Hi there. provided there's enough "oomph" in your NAS box or microserver running a couple or even a few more VM's on these can be a great idea - especially if you only need to access files, do backups and run a few apps like OFFICE and some possibly corporate apps. To...
  8. RDP to Headless Media Server

RDP to Headless Media Server: Not sure which area of the forum to post this, and thought the networking was probably the most relevant. I've built a home media server using a little AMD 5350 on a mini ITX board. I installed Windows 10 on it this week as I couldn't get my head around Linux at all....
  9. NAS server not visible

NAS server not visible: We have a NAS server on the network. One of our laptops recently got destroyed by water damage and had to be replaced. The new laptop is Win 10, and the NAS server is not visible on the network. On the old, now water-damaged laptop (Win 7), the NAS server had a desktop...
  10. NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc

NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc: Hi there I know loads of people here use NAS boxes one way or another. I'm torn between getting a standard NAS box or using a home build Linux headless server for similar --using Linux LVM makes creating Logical data spaces out of multiple physical HDD's a doddle. NAS...