Windows 10: Clever Macrium Reflect

Discus and support Clever Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I tried a experiment with Macrium Reflect, I wanted to know if Backup & reinstall would be affected if a number of apps were open at the time of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stephanie, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Stephanie Win User

Clever Macrium Reflect

I tried a experiment with Macrium Reflect, I wanted to know if Backup & reinstall would be affected if a number of apps were open at the time of Backup, so on my 2nd Desktop PC I used Macrium Reflect Free and made a Backup with CS6, PDN, Syncios, and CCleaner open, the Backup went fine and so did the reinstall everything works fine *Smile

I would not recommend Backing up this way but it shows what great software Macrium Reflect is ... *Cool

:)

Stephanie, Aug 28, 2017
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 28, 2017
  3. garybear89, Aug 28, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Clever Macrium Reflect

Yeah, Steph! When it takes that "snapshot", the Windows VSS kicks in. Any further activity that would change the "picture" is intercepted by the VSS writers (5, I think, may be more...). After backup (and verify I hope), Macrium triggers the VSS writers to flush the activity to storage, and closes. Pretty smart software. And since the SIB from MS is going to be deprecated in the Fall Creators Update (as reported by MS), it's nice to have a good solid 3rd party alternative, as suggested by MS.

f14tomcat, Aug 28, 2017
  5. Stephanie Win User
    Thanks for the info TC *Smile

Stephanie, Aug 28, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Rapid delta restore is awesome but not in free version.

cereberus, Aug 28, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Please tell me more about rapid delta restore; I just recently upgraded from version 6 to version 7; up to now, have not made incremental or differential backups, yet.

RolandJS, Aug 28, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Clever Macrium Reflect

f14tomcat, Aug 28, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    f14tomcat, thanks, I'm well on my way to making usb and dvd boots of MR7, and will be trying incremental and/or differential backups along with my normal full images ("parallel backups").

RolandJS, Aug 29, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    All top back up tools work like this. I always carry on using my pc after starting a backup running and Macrium has never let me down.

cereberus, Aug 29, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    RDR is simple to explain. Suppose you make an image backup , and then deleted some files by mistake, when you go to do a restore, it scans image and pc for differences, and only adds the files you deleted instead of writing whole image.

I deleted a partition by mistake, and went to restore it from a backup, and it simply rebuilt the file pointers as data was still on pc but 'stranded'.

If you have messed around with partition positions, it detects that and just does a normal full restore instead.

Awedome feature.

cereberus, Aug 29, 2017
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    One minor clarification. When doing an image backup, Macrium backs up sectors (Macrium refers to them as clusters...one or more consecutive sectors (512 bytes each), not individual files. Only the NTFS metadata is backed up. During a RDR, it looks for sectors that have changed, and restores them, not the individual files. Theoretically (improbable, really), if all your work involved making small changes to small files all in the same sector, you could have made hundreds of changes, and the RDR would only need to restore that one sector. Restore time of about a second or two! *Smile Does not apply, of course, to Files and Folders backup, least I don't think it does. I think the RDR is only for image backups.....may be wrong, correct if I am.

It's a pretty clever and nifty approach, and works great.

f14tomcat, Aug 29, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Clever Macrium Reflect

I was aware of this, I was just being simplistic in my explanation to show principle. IMO, it is worth buying Home just to get RDR.

cereberus, Aug 31, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Oh, I know your are. Thought it would give others a little insight, also. You'd be surprised (probably not!) how many people think a Restore Point is a backup. Or "I copied my vacation pictures to a DVD, now I'm all backed up". It's a crazy world out there.

f14tomcat, Aug 31, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Too true!

cereberus, Aug 31, 2017
Thema:

Clever Macrium Reflect

1. Clever Macrium Reflect - Similar Threads - Clever Macrium Reflect

2. Macrium Reflect FAILED

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect FAILED: Whenever I try to restore a Macrium Reflect image, it says: Macrium Reflect has encountered a serious problem: Dump file 'C:\reflectv6.1-871-x64-0.dmp was created. Please email this file to L: support@macrium.com What free image programs WORK in Windows 10? 26818
  3. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  4. Macrium Reflect Difficulties

Macrium Reflect Difficulties: Hi all I've got an issue with imaging using Macrium Reflect Free. I'm running a dual boot system using Bootcamp with Windows 7 & 10 on two primary partitions on my iMac 24. Both work perfectly but if I run Macrium Reflect on either one of the two OS's, the Windows 10...
  5. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  6. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  7. Macrium Reflect update

Macrium Reflect update: Hello, While making a weekly backup (differential or full) with Macrium version 6, I was notifyedthere is an update for this version, downloaded and installed the update.Then opened the product's site and saw there is a new version - 7, on one page it says free editionhere...
  8. Macrium Reflect Disaster

Macrium Reflect Disaster: W10 Pro, 16GB RAM, 480Gb SSD Macrium Reflect Free v. 6.3.1835.0, attempting to image drive C:\. After several hours, image failed to complete. System would not reboot in any way, not from CD/DVD drive, Flash drive etc., Ubuntu.. Data on C and other HD OK. Attempt to...
  9. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........
  10. Macrium Reflect errors.

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect errors.: Okay so I booted up my computer today and looked in the event log and noticed some errors from Macrium Reflect . Event ID 7000. The MacriumService service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely...