Windows 10: clicked an innocuous link ad scare ware page came up. very comical!

Discus and support clicked an innocuous link ad scare ware page came up. very comical! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Her it is called security center Security Center Closed it, clicked again and the real page came up. Women Came Up Big for the GOP in 2020: Here's All... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by sdowney717, Nov 12, 2020.

1. clicked an innocuous link ad scare ware page came up. very comical!

sdowney717, Nov 12, 2020
  2. Bruce Hagen, Nov 12, 2020
  3. DavidHMD Win User
    Is the gateec.dll a Malware/Ad-ware ?

So recently, my computer was infected by an Ad-ware after several attempt I was to completely delete the Ad-ware. Until I noticed that an unusual program was running in my background called the gateec.dll which was associated with the rundll32.exe. I tried
    doing some research about the gateec.dll but I couldn't find any useful information and I came to know that the rundll32.exe is important but could be associated with Malware. I want to know for sure is the gateec.dll a Microsoft program or is it an Ad-ware/Malware.

DavidHMD, Nov 12, 2020
  4. clicked an innocuous link ad scare ware page came up. very comical!

Ad Ware in Microsoft Edge

Using the fix above by clearing browse history:

Edge needs to be your default browser - if it isn't change it this way:

Start> settings> system> default apps> {scroll to the bottom of list) click on the browser icon and select edge from list OR click 'reset' which will change the whole list to defaults.

Exit settings.

Type 'open Edge' into taskbar search and press Enter. This opens the Edge browser. Then follow the instructions given in the earlier post.

If opening edge THAT way doesn't work for you, try this:

Open wordpad and type ANY full web address in. If it underlines then it's clickable and should open in the browser OR use this pages link (literally THIS page) and copy paste it into wordpad.

Ad Ware in Microsoft Edge

Again, you then follow the instructions in the earlier post to clear the browser history.

If you don't know where to find the browser/cookie clearing page: Type 'Internet Options' into the taskbar search box and click 'MY STUFF'. An icon should show up of an Earth with a page and a tick. Find Browsing history - make sure it has a tick in the
    little box and click delete. This will delete all of your browsing history.

Greebothe cat, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

clicked an innocuous link ad scare ware page came up. very comical!

1. clicked an innocuous link ad scare ware page came up. very comical! - Similar Threads - clicked innocuous link

2. my granddaughter accidently clicked on an add and a pop up came up from Microsoft with a...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my granddaughter accidently clicked on an add and a pop up came up from Microsoft with a...: My granddaughter accidently clicked on an add and pop ups came on from Microsoft with a phone number saying to call. There was a voice through the speakers saying do not close out but call immmediately....
  3. Red Scare

in Windows 10 Support
    Red Scare: Can someone explain to me why everything is in red? I use a dark theme with title bar and lettering in blue. Today it's red and only on this site. Is this something Ten Forums has done? Is there a setting within Ten Forums to change this back to blue. I've included an image....
  4. Edge Browser - Turn Off Ad Supported Links On Home Page

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge Browser - Turn Off Ad Supported Links On Home Page: Title says it all. Can I block ad sponsored links on the home page? I guess they're supposed to look like news stories and they do say AD. I find this a PITA. If Edge thinks they'll compete with Chrome by posting a lot of ad links on things I have no interest in, I don't...
  5. When I click a link in a page the link opens behind the page I clicked on.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I click a link in a page the link opens behind the page I clicked on.: When I click a link in a page the link opens behind the page I clicked on. I then have to minimise the page I am working on to see the page I have opened, then minimise this page to return to the original page. This is very frustrating. I am using Windows 10 home version...
  6. Scared to update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scared to update: Recently a Windows 10 update and come out. My dad updated his pc but it wiped all of his hard drive. He has backed it up but I am scared to do the update myself. Should I do it? What should I do? Could someone please help. submitted by /u/ZlousyYT [link] [comments]...
  7. ADs Blocked on this page

ADs Blocked on this page: This page right now I'm in, also has ADs...Why so? There could e PUPs. Why on MS page? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ads-blocked-on-this-page/de45a9a4-3e11-4d60-a5f1-b801f9b7482b
  8. Ads ware pops up on windows notification center

Ads ware pops up on windows notification center: Hi, As you can see while writing this query, I again received this ads ware that pops up almost every reconnection to the wifi. I ran a Microsoft Anti Virus scan, nothing has been found. with Malwarebytes scan with no result, and also I tried to stop some background...
  9. Extra pages opening when I click on a link or object

in Browsers and Email
    Extra pages opening when I click on a link or object: For instance, when I just clicked on the tab to post a new thread, the page popped up, but another page also opened. See screenshot. This one pops up frequently. Another that will open frequently is the second screenshot, but there's no rhyme or reason. I might click on a...
  10. Very high CPU usage (processes not adding up)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very high CPU usage (processes not adding up): This morning, I was playing Minecraft, and I noticed my computer fan suddenly getting higher in pitch. I went into Task Manager and noticed that the CPU usage was always above 70%, but there were no processes using more than 10% (Normally the game uses about 30-40%, but I had...