Windows 10: Clicked Link Drive by Download / Ransomware?

Discus and support Clicked Link Drive by Download / Ransomware? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I was in MS TechNet yesterday looking for a solution and clicked on a link in one of the replies (I know I can't believe it either on that site)... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kevvyb, Mar 21, 2017.

1. kevvyb Win User

Clicked Link Drive by Download / Ransomware?

Hi

I was in MS TechNet yesterday looking for a solution and clicked on a link in one of the replies (I know I can't believe it either on that site) and I got a pop up overlay to MS Edge and an audio saying that my personal details were being downloaded / encrypted. I immediately switched off the machine. Could have pulled the network cable but quicker hard switch off.

Restarted with network cable disconnected.

Ran Malware Bytes scan. MBAM was running in background in any case and did not throw an alert for this event.

Nothing found. But now worrying that I might still be at risk.

Any suggestions on what I should do now if anything?

:)

kevvyb, Mar 21, 2017

2. need help frequent BSOD hal.dll+4e490 and ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0

it doesnt need to login just go to the link and click the download that's the link it gave me by google drive

emmanevangelista, Mar 21, 2017
  3. JerryRein Win User
    Laptop will not update due to lack of disk space

I downloaded both links to ext drive tried each separetaly. activated each by clicking the download on ext drive. Each one went thru the process and got same message No option to select int or ext drive. only message was need to delete files to provide
    room for download.

JerryRein, Mar 21, 2017
  4. Clicked Link Drive by Download / Ransomware?

If Malware Bytes didn't pick anything up then your machine is probably fine. Was it like a popup from MS Edge (a web page fullscreen) or an actual program window (.exe)

If it was a webpage, its an ad and it can't do anything to your computer no matter how convincing it looks. Unless you specifically give it access to your computer through a security warning it can't do anything harmful.

If it was an program/ .exe file. Run that program through an antivirus and Malware Bytes specifically.

If everything seems ok than I wouldn't think there is any risk. You can always check a brief selection of folders and files to see if they open normally *Wink.

ellellell1, Mar 21, 2017
  5. kevvyb Win User
    Didn't really study it very much before I hit the off button *Eek but I think it looked more like a webpage. The link wasn't an exe as far as I am aware. Also would have to hunt the link down again. I don't keep browser history! Not sure I want to do that anyway.

Thanks for the reassurance. Everything seems to be working ok.

kevvyb, Mar 22, 2017
  6. kevvyb Win User
    Didn't really study it very much before I hit the off button *Eek but I think it looked more like a webpage. The link wasn't an exe as far as I am aware. Also would have to hunt the link down again. I don't keep browser history! Not sure I want to do that anyway.

Thanks for the reassurance. Everything seems to be working ok.

kevvyb, Mar 22, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    Quite possibly a scareware site, waiting for you to "click" - anything, anywhere - to begin executing malicious code. Your response was perfect. The fact that you don't keep web site history saved you as well. *Smile
    You might just want to run ADWCleaner to make sure nothing was dropped onto the system.

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  8. kevvyb Win User

Thanks. Will run ADW Cleaner as well

kevvyb, Mar 22, 2017
  9. Very nice tool to use. There are usually lots of signs in a webpage advert like that is fake. Especially with the visual windows logos, the wrong version of windows and old green loading bars. Those java script messages are a pain as well, with them asking "Are you sure you want to leave?"... YES!
    *Roflmao2
    As always a great learning experience to help others not to fall into the internet's "web traps".

ellellell1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Clicked Link Drive by Download / Ransomware? - Similar Threads - Clicked Link Drive

2. Clicking links on notifications in Phone Link to Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking links on notifications in Phone Link to Windows: I recently started using the Phone Link to Windows app on my pc and on the notifications I get there are sometimes links to hit to approve something sent to my phone, when i click "approve" in the phone link app, more often than not nothing happens. last night I i got it to...
  3. Clicking links on notifications in Phone Link to Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clicking links on notifications in Phone Link to Windows: I recently started using the Phone Link to Windows app on my pc and on the notifications I get there are sometimes links to hit to approve something sent to my phone, when i click "approve" in the phone link app, more often than not nothing happens. last night I i got it to...
  4. Linking Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Linking Drives: I have replaced my original C drive with a SSD in my desktop, which was a smart move, but my original C drive was linked to my larger data storage L drive, so that when I selected documents, pictures, videos etc in This Computer, I would be directed to the L drive.So I need...
  5. Linking Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linking Drives: I have replaced my original C drive with a SSD in my desktop, which was a smart move, but my original C drive was linked to my larger data storage L drive, so that when I selected documents, pictures, videos etc in This Computer, I would be directed to the L drive.So I need...
  6. Linking Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft downloaded ransomware in my PC?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft downloaded ransomware in my PC?: As I opened a retail website, I got a flashing alert window saying my PC was infected by Trojanware and I was to call this number 800 692 9556 immeidately My husband called them and agreed to remote. They got my information...passwords, everything...and then they said it was...
  8. My One Drive is infected with Ransomware

My One Drive is infected with Ransomware: My laptop got infected with ransomware yesterday. Somehow the unknown files uploaded itself to my One Drive since I have it Signed In and Sync every time I use my laptop. When I wanted to view my One Drive storage in my browser, OneDrive detected some files in there are...
  9. Clicked Links Re-Directing

Clicked Links Re-Directing: Hi, whenever I click a link in web page which is set to open in a new tab, the page, I am expecting In this case Vonage, does not open but it re-directs to this page...
  10. Idea for ransomware protection of network drives

Idea for ransomware protection of network drives: I like backing up to local drives--I back up to the cloud also, but I like knowing I can get my data back quickly, even if the internet is down, as long as it's a simple problem like a main hard drive failure. But in order to do automatic local backups that don't require...