Windows 10: Clicking links keep asking me to choose between browsers

Discus and support Clicking links keep asking me to choose between browsers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro. on my desktop and Windows 10 Home on my laptop. On both I have the default browser set to Internet Explorer. I'm using IE... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JerseyBiker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Clicking links keep asking me to choose between browsers

I have Windows 10 Pro. on my desktop and Windows 10 Home on my laptop. On both I have the default browser set to Internet Explorer. I'm using IE instead of Edge because I need the use of some add-ons that cannot work on Edge. My issue is that on both computers every time I click a link on a document or email I get the message in the screenshot below. When I click a link a pop up message ask "How do you want to open this". There is also a check box that says "always use this app". Even though I always check the box to always use IE, the message comes up every time. If I set Edge as the default browser I do not get that message. Anyone know of a solution for this? Thank you very much.

Clicking links keep asking me to choose between browsers [​IMG]

:)

JerseyBiker, Aug 3, 2015
  2. sudude Win User

Problems with Wifi..

when you start the browser you will see the pop-up asking to choose between WiFi and GPRS, what happens after you choose WiFi ?

sudude, Aug 3, 2015
  3. rjsaiani Win User
    Keeps asking what browser to ,use when opening a Outlook attachment.

I have Windows 10. on my desktop and Windows 10 Home on my laptop. On both I have the default browser set to Internet Explorer. I'm using IE instead of Edge because I need the use of some add-ons that cannot work on Edge. My issue is that on both computers
    every time I click a link on a email attachment I get the message in the screenshot below. When I click a link a pop up message ask "How do you want to open this". There is also a check box that says "always use this app". Even though I always check the box
    to always use IE, the message comes up every time. If I set Edge or Fire Fox as the default browser I do not get that message. Anyone know of a solution for this? Thank you very much. Name: Screenshot (2).png Views: 271 Size: 23.4 KB ID: 28392" border="0"
    class="thumbnail" src="http://www.tenforums.com/attachment...-me-choose-between-browsers-screenshot-2-.png" title="Click image for larger version. Name: Screenshot (2).png Views: 271 Size: 23.4
    KB ID: 28392">

rjsaiani, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Clicking links keep asking me to choose between browsers

Try Control Panel, Default Programs, Set you default programs.
    Click on Internet Explorer click on Set this program as default.

See what that does.

Go back to Default Programs and click on Associate a filetype or protocol with a program.
    Scroll down to .htm, select it then click on Change program... button at top right.
    Select Internet Explorer nd click OK.
    Repeat for .html.

See what that does for you.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Thank you very much for your reply. I have mostly already done what you suggested several times but I tried again anyway. I think I may have jump the gun as far as getting the message in documents. It's actually only on links in Outlook '97 email. So apparently this is an Outlook issue. When I use the email program included with Windows 10 the links open in IE without prompting me to choose a browser. I guess I'll have to search for Outlook help. I'm guessing sooner or later others will experience this problem and it will be addressed. Thank again.

JerseyBiker, Aug 3, 2015
  6. NCR
    NCR Win User
    Hello JerseyBiker - I just wanted to say that you are not alone! I have exactly the same problem with Outlook 2010 and a friend has it with Outlook 2007 (note that Outlook 2010 is a supported product for Windows 10). I have tested it out on several different PCs, including a VM I specially built with a minimal installation to check this behaviour and they all do it. I have also installed Chrome and if I change the default browser to Edge or Chrome, the problem goes away. Put it back to IE and the prompt reappears. Very irritating! I have spent a few days scouring the internet to find that issues in the past that caused a similar behaviour (i.e. installing them removing Chrome or Firefox) and the fixes mentioned (i.e. Registry hacks and imports/exports to the Registry, clearing caches and a Microsoft Fixit) do not solve the problem! A fully-working Windows 8.1 machine did not have the problem - upgrade it to Windows 10 and the problem appears.

I have reported it to Microsoft via the Windows Feedback (I am a member of the Technical Insider Programme) as I suspect it is a 'feature' of Windows 10, but if anyone finds the fix and could post it here, I would be very grateful! Many thanks.

7. Ztruker Win User
    Never used Outlook. Does it have a setting that defines what program to use to open htm/html files?

I just found this so I guess not:

Ztruker, Aug 5, 2015
  8. NCR
    NCR Win User

Thanks for your reply Ztruker. No, there is no setting in Outlook - it (is supposed to) just use(s) the default browser for your system. I've checked all the Registry keys for the Classes and htm/html against what they were in Windows 8.1 and they are identical (I even imported the keys from W8.1 to a W10 VM just to be sure). It's not an Office issue either - hyperlinks in Word work fine. So do Adobe Acrobat links in PDFs. So IMHO the only things left that are likely to have been changed by the W10 upgrade are the DLLs and/or file rights and ownerships. I must confess I am already a fan of W10 - to me, W10 is to W8 as W7 is to Vista! The Start button is now good enough for me to use without the Classic Shell (Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements) install that I used with W8/8.1. And the awful Metro screen has gone too Clicking links keep asking me to choose between browsers :) I don't know what others think, but I suspect the underlying architecture of W10 is much the same as W8.1, which is why I've never heard of any issues with driver or program compatibility. Incidentally, just for others information, I too found that after upgrading, I could receive, but not send, emails from Outlook (even though the test send email in Accounts worked OK). That problem was fixed by running 'sfc /scannow' in a Command prompt running as Administrator - that was the only bug I have found.

9. Ztruker Win User
    Agree about the Start button. I see no need for Classic Shell or Start10 or similar.

The only problem you have now then is the Outlook hyperlink using Edge?

I ran these after upgrading as a test and all ran clean:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Ztruker, Aug 5, 2015
  10. NCR
    NCR Win User
    No Rich - it's the Outlook hyperlink using Internet Explorer - Edge works fine (I don't think Edge has come of age yet - I think it's still work in progress, but I'm sure they'll get there!) I ran Dism too and that didn't solve the problem either, sadly.

Neville

11. Ztruker Win User
    I think that's what I meant *Smile You are not able to get Outlook to use Internet Explorer, it defaults to Edge and you can't change it, or am I misunderstanding?

Ztruker, Aug 5, 2015
  12. NCR
    NCR Win User
    Not quite! If I set the default to Edge, then all works well in everything, including Outlook. Same with Chrome (on a machine I installed Chrome on to test). However, if I set the default to Internet Explorer, you always get the prompt when you click on a hyperlink in an email in Outlook (and only Outlook, whether Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010) as per JerseyBiker's image at the top, even after ticking the 'Always use this app' box. I know it's a minor irritation, but an irritation nevertheless!

Neville

13. Ztruker Win User

Ah, okay, thanks. Seems to me that is probably intentional on Microsoft's part to try to get people to use Edge, though in all honesty that has been happening with Windows off and on since Vista and maybe even as far back as XP.

I do like 10 though. Have it on 3 computers at home (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and 1 desktop here at the shop.

Ztruker, Aug 5, 2015
  14. There are settings in Outlook 2007 for default programs including default browser. But with Windows 10 when you attempt to choose a browser in Outlook you get a message to change it in Windows setting. IE is my default browser. And htm/html file associations are IE.

JerseyBiker, Aug 5, 2015
  15. NCR
    NCR Win User
    Yes - same behaviour as in Outlook 2010. Like you, all the defaults on all the PCs I have tried are IE. A pain isn't it? Especially not knowing how to fix it!

Thema:

1. Clicking links keep asking me to choose between browsers - Similar Threads - Clicking links keep

2. why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?: it’s asking me to choose operating system volume 2, volume 2, volume 3 how do i make it so that i have 1 operating system on my pc? i might’ve reinstalled windows 10 incorrectly...
  3. why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?: it’s asking me to choose operating system volume 2, volume 2, volume 3 how do i make it so that i have 1 operating system on my pc? i might’ve reinstalled windows 10 incorrectly...
  4. why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Boot Manager asks me to choose

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Manager asks me to choose: After migrating my OS to a new SSD I get asked to choose an operating system with a 30-second timer. The choices are Windows System 10 and Windows Setup.I have formatted the old HDD that contained Windows originally.I've tried Disc Cleanup and Clean System Files, and I've run...
  6. Cortana keep asking me.

Cortana keep asking me.: After reinstalling my Windows 10 Home SL, my Cortana keeps asking me for Online speech recognition permission. Can you help me pls? *I can't see Cortana on category selection*[ATTACH]...
  7. Is there a program that click buttons and links for me?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a program that click buttons and links for me?: I'm doing online homeschool right now, and it sucks. I have set up a looping video of myself to play through OBS's virtual camera. The problem is that sometimes the teacher will do "screen breaks" in the middle. They're always at the same time, so I was wondering if I could...
  8. Ask which browser to open a link with. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ask which browser to open a link with. Is it possible?: Hi, on Windows 10 I'm using several browsers at the same time. When I open a link from my E-Mail Software, it will open it in the default browser. Can I somehow make Windows ask every time what browser my link should be opened with? submitted by /u/AlarakAkbar [link]...
  9. cortana issue...keeps asking me to choose interests...see attachment..

cortana issue...keeps asking me to choose interests...see attachment..: Cortana keeps asking me to select interests...i already chose them and close that but it keeps coming back and because of it pick up where i left off is only shown when i X the select interests see attachment [img] 115010
  10. Onedrive asks me to choose folders on every bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive asks me to choose folders on every bootup: This is a weird issue for me. Everytime I bootup, I get this little popup even though I've "chosen folders" twice already when it popped up. Now it's just starting to become a nuisance. [img] 85199