Windows 10: Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should

Discus and support Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On my Win 7 computer at home, if I doubleclick a Word file in Exploring, it successfully opens Word 2007. On my Win 10 laptop, though, even though... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MiloFromSanDiego, May 29, 2019.

1. Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should

On my Win 7 computer at home, if I doubleclick a Word file in Exploring, it successfully opens Word 2007.

On my Win 10 laptop, though, even though Word 2007 is on it and can be opened easily and works great, if I doubleclick a Word file in Exploring, it asks me if I want to "try buy or activate Office" . No, I don't. For my very basic needs, Office 2007 is just fine. All of this applies to my .xlsx files as well which I want to open Excel 2007 and get the same problem.

~

When I try to do "Open with..." , Word 2007 is not an option I can find. And if I try to set the opening program to the shortcut icon that I use to open Word 2007, it tells me that it's not a valid app. How can it not be valid when I can open that program just fine from the shortcut icon and can open the same file from within word? I just can't seem to set the default.

~

The program files that need to be reached (winword.exe and excel.exe) are in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

but unlike in Win7, if I go to settings to set the default for .xlsx, win10 doesn't allow me to point to that.

It only suggests the Excel I can buy or "look for an app in the store".

Whatever happened to letting me choose something that's on my computer?

~
    It's very annoying to have to go to Word and Excel manually and drill back down to the file I'm already looking at when I just want to double-click to open like I can in Win7. How can I fix this? Thanks!

:)

MiloFromSanDiego, May 29, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

microsoft word 2003

Is it just one file, or all your word files?

With the exception of Outlook, I have yet to find a reason to stop using Office 2000, 2003, and 2007. They open all the latest files just fine, and they work just fine.

newtekie1, May 29, 2019
  3. Krazy Owl Win User
    Open office VS Word 2007

So from what I read here Open Office is a pure piece of shit !!!

Look just an example: One line is fine but the other line just after have 1/4 inch spacing between the words for absolutly no reason.

The format was the same for both lines in Word 2007.

Anyway I will have to reinstall Word 2007 on that slow computer.

Krazy Owl, May 29, 2019
  4. Krazy Owl Win User

Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should

Open office VS Word 2007

I am making my resume and started with the one i already made in the past with Word 2007 but now using Open office 3.4.1.

Is there a reason why Open Office is screwing everything and even changing all the formats ?

I mean...it puts the table all around different size than before, change the caracters format without me asking to change it, change the alignment.

It's suppose to be COMPATIBLE...I don't see how compatible it can be. It feels like opening a Word 2007 document in Wordpad.. if you see what I mean.

Also the P carater in the top of Word that you press to see where are the lines there is none in open office...always the lines over the lines.

Any of you can help me out doing something with it or anyonewas able to do something good with Open office? *Bang Head :banghead:

Thx!

Krazy Owl, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should

1. Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should - Similar Threads - Clicking word file

2. It was not like that in Word????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It was not like that in Word????: The cursor moves slowly when I hold the spacebar or left arrow button in Word? I might add this is in Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-was-not-like-that-in-word/5bfdf948-6509-4d90-ba50-4f9d0447b46b
  3. It was not like that in Word????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It was not like that in Word????: The cursor moves slowly when I hold the spacebar or left arrow button in Word? I might add this is in Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-was-not-like-that-in-word/5bfdf948-6509-4d90-ba50-4f9d0447b46b
  4. It was not like that in Word????

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Double click does not open word docs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click does not open word docs: hiWindows 11, files on onedrive.When Double clicking with my mouse, I get the egg timer, but nothing happens, the only way to open docs is to right click and open, or to use the enter key. its got nothing to do with my mouse speed, my batteries, or my mouse driver.any ideas?...
  6. Double click does not open word docs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double click does not open word docs: hiWindows 11, files on onedrive.When Double clicking with my mouse, I get the egg timer, but nothing happens, the only way to open docs is to right click and open, or to use the enter key. its got nothing to do with my mouse speed, my batteries, or my mouse driver.any ideas?...
  7. Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document: I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, Build 19041.508. A few weeks ago and out of the blue, Windows Explorer began "not responding" when I attempted to open a Word 2007 .docx file. When I click on the .docx file and then immediately attempt to switch to Explorer, I...
  8. Word 2007

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word 2007: Yes, I know it's no longer supported, but I'm pretty sure that Microsoft have actively removed a facility that used to work, namely, encryption. I can no longer find the facility within Word. The only place I see it mentioned is in the Properties of the Word file, where it is...
  9. Microsoft Office Word 2007

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Office Word 2007: My laptop runs Windows 10. I regularly get updates which then result in me losing access to my Word files. I usually uninstall them and can then use my documents as usual. I tried to uninstall the recent updates but cannot do this. Spoke to someone from Microsoft who said she...
  10. Word 2007 configuration

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2007 configuration: My OS is Windows 10 and my computer is an HP Lap Top series 15. I have MS Office2007 installed and all of a sudden when I open Word it wants to go through a reconfiguration process which takes about 45 seconds. It will do it every time. To try to repair I put in the Office CD...