Windows 10: Clicking on MP3 file opens associated program with a different mp3

Discus and support Clicking on MP3 file opens associated program with a different mp3 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all I'm running Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362 on an ASUS Zenbook Model UX430UAR 16 gb I've associated Transcribe by Seventh String software with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by eselick, Dec 28, 2019.

1. eselick Win User

Clicking on MP3 file opens associated program with a different mp3

Hi all
    I'm running Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362 on an ASUS Zenbook Model UX430UAR 16 gb
    I've associated Transcribe by Seventh String software with mp3 files however clicking on any mp3 file in explorer always opens the program with the first mp3 I originally opened many months ago.
    I've tried undoing and redoing the mp3 to program association many times and it doesn't help.
    The only way I can open the mp3 I want to play is to use the program's file open dialog and find it again in the open dialog.
    Any ideas?

:)

eselick, Dec 28, 2019
  2. LemP Win User

windows 7 not identifying mp3

You really have two questions.

1. Why is there a generic icon for mp3 files?

2. Why can't your mp3tag program see the mp3 files?

You said that you can play mp3 files. What program opens when you double-click on an mp3 file?

Please provide the screenshot of the General tab of an mp3 file's Properties.

When I re-read your original post, it seems that you're saying that even if you associate mp3 files with WMP, you still have the generic icon, not the WMP icon. If that's the situation, you may be able to fix at least the icon display issue by rebuilding
    the icon cache as follows:

1. Close all Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
    2. Open Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC or right-click on the Taskbar > Start Task Manager)
    3. On the "Processes" tab, select explorer.exe and click "End Process"
    4. From the Task Manager File Menu, select "New Task (Run ...)"
    5. Type cmd.exe in the "Open" box and click OK
    6. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt window and press Enter after each line

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

EXIT
    7. From the Task Manager File Menu, select "New Task (Run ...)"
    8. Type explorer.exe in the "Open" box and click OK
    If your icon situation is now fixed, skip everything below except the very last paragraph.

Did mp3 files EVER have a Quintessential icon in Windows 7?

• If so, what happened to your system shortly before the problem began?

I note that the most recent release of Quintessential Media Player was in February 2009, some months before Windows 7 became available. The CNET site claims that the program was compatible through Vista, and so it should work in Windows 7, but it would
    be helpful to know if it ever did work properly for you in Windows 7.

If you use Default Programs > Set Associations to change the association of mp3 files to Windows Media Player ...

• Do the files get the WMP icon? You probably will have to "refresh" whatever window you're looking at by pressing F5 to see any change.
    • Does your mp3tag program now detect the mp3 files?
    Assuming that the answers to both of these questions is YES after changing the association to WMP, change it back to QMP. What happens?

If you set the mp3 file association to QMP but the icon remains generic, you may be able to get the icon to show up by using Nirsoft's File Types. Mananager. Nirsoft is a well-known and reliable source of free Windows utilities.

Download links for both x86 and x64 versions are towards the bottom of the page:

http://nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Directions for use:
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/change-file-types-icons-windows-7/

Similarly, was your mp3tag application ever able to detect mp3 files? If so, what happened to your system shortly before the problem began? I really doubt, however, that your mp3tag program will work differently even if mp3 files show the QMP icon. You
    may need to ask the publisher of that utility for support.

3. grobbit Win User
    htm & mp3 file associations change since latest update version “1511”

I recently upgraded/updated Windows 10 Home with the Nov/Dec 2015 update version “1511”.

File associations for Web Browser and Music have always been Firefox and VLC
    Player respectively, i.e. .htm files open in Firefox and .mp3 files open in VLC.

However, since the update version “1511”, every time I zip an mp3 file with WinZip, the file associations for Web Browser get removed and local .htm web pages get associated with Microsoft Edge, and mp3 files get associated with Groove. I then have to manually reset files back to Firefox and VLC through Settings / System / Default Apps and/or use Open With / always use this app to open this type of file.

Similarly, if I zip an .htm file with Winzip, then .htm files get changed from being associated with Firefox and become associated with Microsoft Edge [but mp3 files do not lose their association with VLC in this instance].

This behaviour did not occur before the major update version “1511”.

Is anyone aware of what is happening here? Thanks.

grobbit, Dec 28, 2019
  4. erreenne Win User

htm & mp3 file associations change since latest update version “1511”

Me too, I tried to change the options in Configuration>System, but without success. Now I use another zip program, like you *Wink

erreenne, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Clicking on MP3 file opens associated program with a different mp3 - Similar Threads - Clicking MP3 file

2. MP3 File failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MP3 File failure: Hope someone can help. I'm trying to open MP3 file attached to federal bankruptcy minute order sent through PACER. File plays for maybe 5 seconds then error message Qx80070323 interrupts saying 'file was removed or another program is trying to open it.' I can't seem to even...
  3. MP3 File failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MP3 File failure: Hope someone can help. I'm trying to open MP3 file attached to federal bankruptcy minute order sent through PACER. File plays for maybe 5 seconds then error message Qx80070323 interrupts saying 'file was removed or another program is trying to open it.' I can't seem to even...
  4. MP3 File failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?

Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?: Hello, For some reason, when I try to associate mp3 files with the 64bit edition of Windows Media Player (yes, I still use that) it makes explorer.exe hang and the change doesn't get applied. The method I use is right-clicking on a random mp3 file -> Properties and...
  6. Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?: Hello, For some reason, when I try to associate mp3 files with the 64bit edition of Windows Media Player (yes, I still use that) it makes explorer.exe hang and the change doesn't get applied.. The method I use is right-clicking on a random mp3 file -> Properties -> Open...
  7. Mp3 and wav files won't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mp3 and wav files won't open: I go on the Libraries app on my taskbar, and try playing mp3 and wav files. When I click on them, nothing pops up, and the app says it's not responding at the top, then exists out. Help? [ATTACH]...
  8. Manipulating MP3 files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Manipulating MP3 files: It seems like ever since my laptop got converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I am no longer able to manipulate my music files, e.g. dragging a track onto my desktop in order to email them, etc. Any ideas?...
  9. MP3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MP3: 3/5/19 How can I see my MP3 on my PC? charges and plays but I can't see it in File explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3/3cf6247c-1884-4ffa-926e-35e942083013
  10. MP3 repair program

MP3 repair program: Hi there Any of you music buffs know of any software that can attempt (decently) to repair an mp3 file -- I've got one track which seems to have a few seconds corrupted after about 30 secs into the track -- is there any way to edit off that small piece -- the track is from...