Windows 10: Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer

Discus and support Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey guys, This has been annoying me from quite some time and I can't help but think how the hell such a low number of people have complained about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by deathres, Jul 1, 2020.

1. deathres Win User

Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer

Hey guys,

This has been annoying me from quite some time and I can't help but think how the hell such a low number of people have complained about this issue. I followed multiple guides to pinning specific folders to taskbar which involve place "explorer" before the shortcut and then dragging it onto the taskbar. This works fine but whenever I click on my folder it opens a new file explorer tab which is really irritating. Example: Screen capture - af374ac3341a67e7df4ec1179c72120a - Gyazo
    Please can someone clear this up for me as it makes pinning folders useless in my opinion.

The only post I could find about this was https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/....skbar_without/
    He says he solved it by " followed this guide. What you need to do is change the default folder for the File Explorer. "
    I tried what he did (although I had no faith that it would work) but renaming my folder to "File Explorer" in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar . This did not solve my issue and so I have no idea what to do.

Just for FULL clarification by pinned folders I mean I followed this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m101b4VyWZk tutorial and he has the same issue if you see that he clicks the icon and it opens a file explorer to the right. Anyone who can help out would be great.

If anyone has any idea please try to be as detailed as possible as to how I can do this. Thanks

My Windows 10 version: Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.329)

:)

deathres, Jul 1, 2020
  2. Lauriso Win User

Can't click folders from File Explorer's pinned list

When I right click File Explorer in the taskbar, I clicking pinned folders in the list doesn't open them. I can, however, open a pinned drive, and left clicking the File Explorer icon on the taskbar also works.

Lauriso, Jul 1, 2020
  3. Simca Win User
    Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any

Registered to say I have the same problem and to give as much detail as possible.

In case anyone has a problem understanding the OP's description of the issue, it's fairly simple:
    1. Right-click on File Explorer icon on Taskbar.
    2. Left-click any location under 'Pinned' or 'Recent'.
    3. The menu closes as it should, but no Explorer window opens at all.

Notes:
    • The only option under the File Explorer taskbar icon that works is the option called 'File Explorer', which just brings you to Quick Access.
    • Instead of left-clicking on a location under 'Pinned' or 'Recent', you can also right-click and select 'Open'. However, this ALSO does not work.
    • All functionality besides opening Explorer windows works, including right-clicking a location and selecting 'Properties'. (Given that the whole point is to open Explorer windows though, this seriously damages the usefulness of it.)
    • Unpinning File Explorer from the Taskbar and then repinning it does not help.
    • I've even tried unpinning File Explorer from the Taskbar, deleting it from C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Taskbar\, restarting the computer, and pinning a new window. The problem persists.
    • ALL other taskbar icons' menus work fine, including ones that did not work properly for me on Windows 8.1 (Skype's menu options wouldn't work for me on 8.1 and they work fine on 10).

Simca, Jul 1, 2020
  4. Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer

Windows 10 file explorer on taskbar creates a new icon on the taskbar when i open it.

This can occur if the taskbar's pinned files get corrupted. Luckily the fix is pretty simple:

• Close all folder windows.
    • Right-click and "unpin" all Explorer icons from the taskbar
    • Open File Explorer once more
    • Right-click the displayed icon on the taskbar and choose the Pin to Taskar option
    That should fix it up.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer

1. Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer - Similar Threads - Clicking pinned folder

2. File explorer opens folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  3. Right Click on File Explorer Icon Pinned to Taskbar does not show pinned or recent folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click on File Explorer Icon Pinned to Taskbar does not show pinned or recent folders: I recently upgraded from a Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 pro build 10.0.19042. I notice that that the newer computer running Windows 10 does not display recent folders when I right click on a file folder icon Windows Explorer Icon pinned to the taskbar. I have tried...
  4. Pin File Explorer to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin File Explorer to Taskbar: I have gone through all of the recommended steps for pinning File Explorer to the task bar and nothing works. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? [Original Title: File Explorer]...
  5. Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clicking on pinned folder in taskbar opens new file explorer: Hey guys, This has been annoying me from quite some time and I can't help but think how the hell such a low number of people have complained about this issue. I followed multiple guides to pinning specific folders to taskbar which involve place "explorer" before the shortcut...
  6. Pinned Folders cannot be click opened/launched from Taskbar Explorer list

Pinned Folders cannot be click opened/launched from Taskbar Explorer list: File explorer is pinned to the taskbar. The pinned list contains various folders. I cannot open a folder on the pinned list with a left mouse single or double click. I can right click them and open them. A single click on the pinned File Explorer will launch File Explorer....
  7. Pinned Folders cannot be click launched from Taskbar Explorer list

Pinned Folders cannot be click launched from Taskbar Explorer list: File explorer is pinned to the taskbar. The pinned list contains various folders. I cannot open a folder on the pinned list with a left mouse single or double click. I can right click them and open them. A single click on the pinned File Explorer will launch File Explorer....
  8. Can't open folders, which are pinned down to the taskbar (Explorer)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open folders, which are pinned down to the taskbar (Explorer): I have a problem opening folders that i pinned down in the taskbar. [img] When I click a folder nothing happens (with the exception of "this PC"/"Your PC", in which case it actually opens what it should open) This problem is limited to Windows Explorer, pinned items for...
  9. Items pinned to Explorer on Taskbar no longer open with left click

in Windows 10 Support
    Items pinned to Explorer on Taskbar no longer open with left click: Just did a clean install of W10 Pro X64 on my recently inherited PC and have discovered that folders I have pinned to Explorer on the Taskbar can no longer be opened with left click. Have to use right click and the Open. This did work normally when I cloned the system from...
  10. Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any: The Problem. Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Documents , Desktop or Anything on the drop down list Not Opening with any Double Click or Right Click > Open Click . . .On 1 of my PC's (main One) , Works OK on the Others. I believe they are all setup the same....