Windows 10: Clicking on Windows (Start) button sometimes has no effect whatsoever

Discus and support Clicking on Windows (Start) button sometimes has no effect whatsoever in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It often happens that I click on the Winows (Start) button and nothing happens. Sometimes the windowed submenu appears, but clicking on some items on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roman Krejci, May 28, 2017.

1. Clicking on Windows (Start) button sometimes has no effect whatsoever

It often happens that I click on the Winows (Start) button and nothing happens. Sometimes the windowed submenu appears, but clicking on some items on it does not do anthing (like for example clicking on users icon - for switching accounts - etc.)

:)

Roman Krejci, May 28, 2017

2. Right clicking on Start Button and clicking the following items fail to activate Eg. Progarms and Features.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, and thankyou for trying the above steps to resolve the issue.

Let’s try the step below to fix the issue.

Method 1: SFC Scan.

1. From Start screen, type Command prompt.

2. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.

3. Now in the command prompt window, type sfc /scannow (note, there is a space between sfc and /scannow).

Refer to this article: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Method 2: DISM Tool

I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

I hope the information helps. If the issue persists, please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, May 28, 2017
  3. zedqed Win User
    Right clicking on Start Button and clicking the following items fail to activate Eg. Progarms and Features.

1. There was nothing during the installation process that requested that Windows be activated.

Checking control panel/.../system shows that windows is activated.

2. Right click Start button gives the list that can be selected. "Activate" was a poor word. Selecting/Clicking "Command Prompt" or "Command Prompt (Admin)" does not cause the command to start or any of the other of the applications that I listed.

3. There are no pending Windows 10 updates

4. Checking control panel/.../system shows Windows edition to be "Windows 10 Pro" with no reference to a build number.

Method 2: I have no issue in opening the Start button

zedqed, May 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Clicking on Windows (Start) button sometimes has no effect whatsoever

What happens if you use the Windows key? Is that reliable?

dalchina, May 28, 2017
Thema:

Clicking on Windows (Start) button sometimes has no effect whatsoever

1. Clicking on Windows (Start) button sometimes has no effect whatsoever - Similar Threads - Clicking Start button

2. Start button right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button right click: Windows 11 updated. Right click on the 'Start Button' does not respond at all. It is disabled. Left click has no issuesPlease advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-right-click/9f12bb06-5418-4b0c-b663-30178b749a3c
  3. Start button right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button right click: Windows 11 updated. Right click on the 'Start Button' does not respond at all. It is disabled. Left click has no issuesPlease advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-right-click/9f12bb06-5418-4b0c-b663-30178b749a3c
  4. Cannot right click on Windows Start Button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot right click on Windows Start Button: Hi there.I am running a fully updated copy of Windows 10 Pro x64.Around about 15th December my PC had some kind of issue that caused about 4 different problems.I have been able to fix them all except for one.When I right click the Windows Start Button the context menu refuses...
  5. Cannot right click on Windows Start Button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot right click on Windows Start Button: Hi there.I am running a fully updated copy of Windows 10 Pro x64.Around about 15th December my PC had some kind of issue that caused about 4 different problems.I have been able to fix them all except for one.When I right click the Windows Start Button the context menu refuses...
  6. Cannot right click on Windows Start Button

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens: Was having problems with taskbar items and played around and fixed them but yesterday found that when I click on the start button nothing happens. Dont know how long its been like that as dont use it often so maybe not my playing caused it. Have tried to find a solution...
  8. Sometimes the start button doesn't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sometimes the start button doesn't work: Hello! Sometimes when I click the start button or hit the windows key on my keyboard, nothing happens. The start menu doesn't open, even if I let it sit for several minutes. The only way to get it working again is to shut down/restart (which can be done by right clicking the...
  9. click on Get app in Microsoft Store has no effect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    click on Get app in Microsoft Store has no effect: I have Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit. This was a fresh install. Because I wanted to remove all bloatware I have run these commands (according to my notes): Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage...
  10. windows start button no left click

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows start button no left click: Hello I have just upgraded from seven to ten. At first things were ok but I no longer have anything on the windows icon with left click. Also the new browser will not start and internet explorer browser icon went away. Can I do another free upgrade by using system restore?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what if clicking start has no effect