Windows 10: Clicking Restart in Windows Update does not - Windows 10

Discus and support Clicking Restart in Windows Update does not - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows Update has been acting strange lately. After downloading and installing KB4579311, KB4578968 & Microsoft Office Updates when Restart was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tom19406, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Tom19406 Win User

Clicking Restart in Windows Update does not - Windows 10

Windows Update has been acting strange lately.

After downloading and installing KB4579311, KB4578968 & Microsoft Office Updates when Restart was required, I clicked 'Restart" in the Windows10 Update window. However, instead of restarting the computer, it went through scanning the system for updates. When it finished I tried again it did the same thing. So, I manually restarted from the Start menu. The updates were successfully installed.

Windows Update also offered a few optional driver updates at the time. After restart was complete I went back to Windows Update's Optional updates and clicked the check boxes for the Intel drivers, when I clicked the "Download and Install" button, instead of seeing the download and install progress, the Optional Update Window flipped pack to the main Update Window and scanned for updates.

I ran the Update automated Troubleshooter, it found nothing, and I haven't found anything in a Web search.

I just installed the 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2.' After downloading and installing the update a restart was required. Instead of restarting the computer, Windows Update scanned the system for updates. I did a manual Restart from the Start menu and the update installation was completed successfully. Again, running the Troubleshooter found nothing.

Does anyone know why clicking Restart from the Windows Update window scans instead of restarting and how to correct it?

Windows10 Pro, Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 is installed on an HP Envy dv7.

Thanks

Tom

:)

Tom19406, Nov 5, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 5, 2020
  3. RCoon Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Nov 5, 2020
  4. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Clicking Restart in Windows Update does not - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Clicking Restart Update

2. Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.: Already tried to go in GPedit.msc and disable the hide settings option. Tried DSIM and SFC. Restarted a few times. Happened randomly. tried to go into Windows update using the start menu. Restarted Windows update service a few times.System Information-Windows insider. build...
  3. Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update does not show. clicking on the icon in home does not work.: Already tried to go in GPedit.msc and disable the hide settings option. Tried DSIM and SFC. Restarted a few times. Happened randomly. tried to go into Windows update using the start menu. Restarted Windows update service a few times.System Information-Windows insider. build...
  4. Windows 10 restarting without clicking on 'restart' and 'cancel'.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 restarting without clicking on 'restart' and 'cancel'.: I recently clean installed Windows 10 and restored my data. I did my work to restore all my things, but when I shut down the laptop, it restarted without me clicking 'restart' and 'cancel'. Any help?It is a 7 year old laptop...
  5. Windows Updater does not restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updater does not restart: During these weeks, when I first sit down in the morning, I get a blue window telling me to restart for Windows Updater to complete the update. Why is it updated so frequently? Sometimes three times a day....
  6. Windows 10 restarts after clicking shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 restarts after clicking shutdown: I have disabled the fastboot(recommended power option) And changed the winlogon settings in regedit Still doesn't work submitted by /u/leegokul [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/egp8tp/windows_10_restarts_after_clicking_shutdown/
  7. Windows 10 does not want to restart

Windows 10 does not want to restart: Hello, I set up a W10 1809 image on Intel S2600CP computer. All the drivers are updated to latest from device manager. However the W10 can't restart, and it just hang during the W10 logo and parts of the blue points. I also tried safe restart, but same result. Any...
  8. Windows 10 Update does nothing when clicked.

Windows 10 Update does nothing when clicked.: Please help! I've been trying to run windows update, but nothing happens when I click the Settings icon. There's no error code / message or anything else. Is there some quick fix? It's only started now....
  9. Windows 10 restarting for update but does not update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 restarting for update but does not update: So windows update has been forcing my computer to restart to update tons of times recently but it never does update. It restarts each day and i would appreciate it if someone can help me with this issue. Windows updates have been working fine until recently. Please ask...
  10. Windows 10 restart for updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 restart for updates?: I need to get Windows updates at night on a fair number of computers. So, I figure I'll use gpedit to set automatic updating to Auto download and schedule the install and set the install at Every day at 3:00 am. But, I see that there is also a mechanism to cause a restart...