Windows 10: Clicking Top of Some Maximized Applications Causes Focus to Go to Lower Window

Discus and support Clicking Top of Some Maximized Applications Causes Focus to Go to Lower Window in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Sometimes when I have a maximized application with another maximized window behind it, clicking the very top of the title bar gives the focus to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Levitate03, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Clicking Top of Some Maximized Applications Causes Focus to Go to Lower Window

Sometimes when I have a maximized application with another maximized window behind it, clicking the very top of the title bar gives the focus to the lower window. On a related Microsoft thread, CalDue says "It is almost as if Word and Excel are one pixel too short of covering the whole screen so when I move my cursor to the edges of the screen and click the mouse button it thinks I'm clicking the window in the background." You can also accidentally close a window, because if you click the top of the 'X', it will X out of the lower window, the one that you couldn't even see. This issue seems to happen consistently with some apps and not with others. For example, a lot of Microsoft apps like Paint, Excel, and Word have this issue.

I've done some testing and it seems like the problem lies with secondary monitors. This only happens on my secondary monitor, not the primary display.

How to reproduce: On the primary display, open MS Paint in fullscreen, with Notepad in fullscreen underneath it. Clicking the very top of the title bar has theexpected behavior: It brings the focus to Paint. However, when I do these same steps on my second monitor of the same resolution, clicking the top of the title bar brings to focus to Notepad.

Is this a known issue, and is there a solution for this?

:)

Levitate03, Oct 26, 2020

2. Problem when clicking on top of Focused Maximized window

Hi,

I have been seeing a problem in windows recently and it is driving me crazy. When I have multiple windows maximized on the same screen and I click on the very top of the focused on (either to move or exit) it sometimes moves the window behind my maximized
    focused window. Both windows are maximized. It doesn't make sense of how I can move a window behind my maximized window.

I have three screens and it happens with any application maximized and any background maximized application.

Does anyone else have this issue sometimes? Please let me know if I am missing something and if I can fix this. Thanks!

Youngblood Skylar, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Gino Des Win User
    One Window hides another window When it is maximized and when it is clicked on taskbar it never shows it runs on the back of maximized window and never display untill maximized window is minimized

Hi,

You might be experiencing this problem because the rendering layer priority of the maximized application is respected even when you switch focus to another program. Normally, when you maximize an application, it will hide or cover all other applications
    until you switch to a different program. To help us identify the cause of this behavior, we would like to know the following information:

• Do you only experience this issue with a particular program?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Are you using multiple monitors?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, you might also be experiencing this issue because Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) is not working correctly or not responding.
    Windows Explorer is the process that provides the graphical interface such as the Start menu, taskbar, notification area, and File Explorer. To sort this issue, we suggest that you restart Windows Explorer. The easiest way is by restarting your computer.
    If you do not want to restart your computer, you can also follow the steps below:

• Hold Ctrl+Shift while right-clicking on an empty area of the taskbar.
    • On the modified context menu, select Exit Explorer. The Start menu and taskbar should disappear.
    • Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click More details on the bottom part of the window.
    • Click on the File menu, and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe, and click OK.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Eric Laut Win User

Clicking Top of Some Maximized Applications Causes Focus to Go to Lower Window

Large white bar at top or bottom of maximized applications/windows

Hi,

Several users in my organization (Windows 10, updated to latest 1809 version, on recent Dell computers) have the following issue: when maximizing a window (Chrome, Slack, Adobe Acrobat, etc.), they see a large white band at the top, sometimes at the bottom,
    of the maximized window. When at the top, for example, the entire upper part of the window in not only hidden by the bar, but also unclickable. In fact, when one clicks on it, it actually acts as if one clicks on the desktop behind of the window even though
    this application is maximized.

Can anyone help get rid of this very annoying bug?

Thank you in advance.

Eric Laut, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Clicking Top of Some Maximized Applications Causes Focus to Go to Lower Window

1. Clicking Top of Some Maximized Applications Causes Focus to Go to Lower Window - Similar Threads - Clicking Top Maximized

2. One application making sound causes second application's volume to temporarily lower

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One application making sound causes second application's volume to temporarily lower: I like to play iRacing, a realistic motorsport simulator. As you may imagine, the engine noise from the car I'm driving is constant and important to understand how it is behaving.While I play iRacing, I run a 3rd party application called Crew Chief. This application pulls...
  3. Top 10% of maximized windows aren't there, clicking in space interacts with window...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Top 10% of maximized windows aren't there, clicking in space interacts with window...: The top 10% or so of my maximized windows are transparent and clicking in that space interacts with the inactive window behind. Oddly, this isn't a permanent condition, and if I press F11 for full screen and F11 again to return, then the full maximized window is visible and...
  4. Since last update some typing and some form clicking result in focus going on another...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Since last update some typing and some form clicking result in focus going on another...: Yesterday after a patch update, I started to notice weird things, first I noticed I could not shut down my PC because the moment I would click Power input focus would select something else right after the clickhttps://youtu.be/R5C2T9Rq7tASecond issue is the Type Here to...
  5. Problem when clicking on top of Focused Maximized window

Problem when clicking on top of Focused Maximized window: Hi, I have been seeing a problem in windows recently and it is driving me crazy. When I have multiple windows maximized on the same screen and I click on the very top of the focused on (either to move or exit) it sometimes moves the window behind my maximized focused window....
  6. taskbar stays on top of maximized window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbar stays on top of maximized window: since updating to 1903 the taskbar occasionally stays on top of maximized windows. i have to click it and then click back into the window to get rid of it. not huge deal but happens super often so its annoying. i have already tried restarting windows explorer and also pc like...
  7. Large white bar at top or bottom of maximized applications/windows

Large white bar at top or bottom of maximized applications/windows: Hi, Several users in my organization (Windows 10, updated to latest 1809 version, on recent Dell computers) have the following issue: when maximizing a window (Chrome, Slack, Adobe Acrobat, etc.), they see a large white band at the top, sometimes at the bottom, of the...
  8. Some applications displaying in lower resolutions! Help!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Some applications displaying in lower resolutions! Help!: Applications such as Nvidia's Control Panel are running in a very blurry resolution. My display is set to 1920x1080 and the zoom is at 100%. View Attachments/Pictures to observe the problem. PLEASE HELP! *Smile 1st Screenshot: GeForce Driver up to date (353.62) 2nd: My...
  9. Losing focus on top window

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing focus on top window: Strange thing has been happening since, I believe last Patch Tuesday (6/09). Context menus and message boxes don't stay "focused" (on top) if I move the cursor out of the window. Can hover/click on taskbar icon to get back on screen, but as soon as I move the cursor, it's...
  10. Maximized applications cause monitor to shut off.

in Windows 10 Support
    Maximized applications cause monitor to shut off.: I started having this issue about 4 days ago. Their have been a slew of updates from Windows 10 and from my GPU. When an application is Maximized, it causes my monitor to sometimes go to sleep. It is not 100% of the time, it is about 70-80% of the time. Chrome causes it to...