Windows 10: Client can't find dc (host) with internal switch

Discus and support Client can't find dc (host) with internal switch in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hope this post is in the correct location. Been stuck on this problem for way too long. Can't join vm client to host dc domain with internal switch. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by zError, May 28, 2020.

1. zError Win User

Client can't find dc (host) with internal switch

Hope this post is in the correct location. Been stuck on this problem for way too long.
    Can't join vm client to host dc domain with internal switch. I am connected to host with the internal switch, ping gets through. Also on guest vm ncpa.cpl it says "unidentified network" on the internal vNIC.

When entering domain name "meaning.fourtytwo" to join with "settings>accounts>access work or school>join a domain" wizard I get alert "the domain couldn't be found. check the domain name and try again" I tried just "meaning" out of desperation, and it asked me to enter credentials... then it shut down the vm. Restarted it and on boot it's not on domain. Found it confusing that it appeared to take "meaning" but not fqdn "meaning.fourtytwo" so i tried just "meaning" again, it asks for credentials... but this time doesn't reboot and just tells me domain can't be found.

Tried join through system properties. Again it can't find the actual domain name "meaning.fourtytwo" so I tried meaning again, though I don't know why that would work and the fqdn wouldn't. It asks for credentials again, then hangs forever til it pushes the alert "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." -- this is the same kind of behavior with sys-properties wizard or the "change..." button, slight variations. End of the day I can't join the domain.
    meaning.fourtytwo is the correct domain name.

Host (win server 2019 evaluation version 1809) internal NIC settings
    IP: 192.168.1.41
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    everything else blank

Guest (win 10 enterprise evaluation version 1909) internal NIC settings
    IP: 192.168.1.40
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    pref DNS: 192.168.1.41

guest ipconfig /all does show 192.168.1.41 as the only dns

I probably gave a bunch of detail you don't need and didn't give info you do need lol, but thanks in advance I'll provide whatever you ask for, plx halp i'm lost.

:)

zError, May 28, 2020
  2. zError Win User

Hope this post is in the correct location. Been stuck on this problem for way too long.
    Can't join vm client to host dc domain with internal switch. I am connected to host with the internal switch, ping gets through. Also on guest vm ncpa.cpl it says "unidentified network" on the internal vNIC.

When entering domain name "meaning.fourtytwo" to join with "settings>accounts>access work or school>join a domain" wizard I get alert "the domain couldn't be found. check the domain name and try again" I tried just "meaning" out of desperation, and it asked me to enter credentials... then it shut down the vm. Restarted it and on boot it's not on domain. Found it confusing that it appeared to take "meaning" but not fqdn "meaning.fourtytwo" so i tried just "meaning" again, it asks for credentials... but this time doesn't reboot and just tells me domain can't be found.

Tried join through system properties. Again it can't find the actual domain name "meaning.fourtytwo" so I tried meaning again, though I don't know why that would work and the fqdn wouldn't. It asks for credentials again, then hangs forever til it pushes the alert "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." -- this is the same kind of behavior with sys-properties wizard or the "change..." button, slight variations. End of the day I can't join the domain.
    meaning.fourtytwo is the correct domain name.

Host (win server 2019 evaluation version 1809) internal NIC settings
    IP: 192.168.1.41
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    everything else blank

Guest (win 10 enterprise evaluation version 1909) internal NIC settings
    IP: 192.168.1.40
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    pref DNS: 192.168.1.41

guest ipconfig /all does show 192.168.1.41 as the only dns

I probably gave a bunch of detail you don't need and didn't give info you do need lol, but thanks in advance I'll provide whatever you ask for, plx halp i'm lost.

zError, May 28, 2020
  3. Samuria Win User

Unless the server is running as a dns server dns isnt used it will just look on the local subnet can you enter DCs IP and see if that works is the switch managed with vlans?

Samuria, May 28, 2020
  4. Client can't find dc (host) with internal switch

Check whether dns zone is configured & ad/dc records are registered. Or if it is too complex, install & use wins.
    You can also use wireshark to capture network traffic.

muchomurka, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Client can't find dc (host) with internal switch - Similar Threads - Client can't find

2. Problem with DC serving up an expired KDC certificate for ldaps to clients

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with DC serving up an expired KDC certificate for ldaps to clients: have a DC with KDC certificates that expired last month. They have been renewed.But the DC still appears to be providing the expired one to clients. DC has been rebooted since the renewalWindows 2012R2...
  3. Problem with DC serving up an expired KDC certificate for ldaps to clients

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with DC serving up an expired KDC certificate for ldaps to clients: have a DC with KDC certificates that expired last month. They have been renewed.But the DC still appears to be providing the expired one to clients. DC has been rebooted since the renewalWindows 2012R2...
  4. DC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DC: dc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dc%E4%B8%8D%E8%83%BD%E6%9F%A5%E8%AF%A2%E5%9F%9F/504a7ce4-3ded-4d5b-83d9-811cd22e7558
  5. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  6. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  7. Can't find internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't find internal hard drive: Recently, I have switched to pc from Xbox and I cannot find my hard drive to store games. I am new to pc so all I need to know is how to find it as if it was brand new. I can still access my ssd, but not my hard drive. The computer is the Dell G5 Tower if that helps...
  8. Can't find or switch to another user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't find or switch to another user: Hi, Finally upgraded from Win7 Home to Win10 Home. The upgrade ported 3 of 4 user accounts on the PC successfully. Of the three, 2 were old user accounts which I deleted after the upgrade along with the one that was not ported successfully. I was left with one account, let's...
  9. Can't get UDP to work with RDP 8.0 on Win7 client - Win10 Host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't get UDP to work with RDP 8.0 on Win7 client - Win10 Host: We (me and a fellow worker) have just started using remote desktop to work. I have been using NetSupport Manager for almost 10 years but just switched to Windows 10 on virtual PC at work and discovered that remote desktop performance with UDP is leaving NetSupport Manager in...
  10. How to get on internal network to VPN to a client

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get on internal network to VPN to a client: I am looking for ways besides RDP to have employees connect to my work's internal network at another location so that they can VPN to one of their client's. The VPN connection only works from the internal network as their Sonicwall configuration is setup to allow it through...