Windows 10: Clipboard Losing Formatting

Discus and support Clipboard Losing Formatting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running Win 10 on several machines. On one of them only, when I copy (Ctrl-C), only the unformatted text gets onto the clipboard. It does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BirderBob, Oct 29, 2016.

1. BirderBob Win User

Clipboard Losing Formatting

I am running Win 10 on several machines. On one of them only, when I copy (Ctrl-C), only the unformatted text gets onto the clipboard. It does not matter what app I am in at the time (I've tried Word, Firefox, Excel, etc.) and it is not related to the destination (Paste) app; the clipboard itself (examined with a viewer app) has not formatting, just text.
    I have seen references to Skype causing issues but I do not have Skype installed.

:)

BirderBob, Oct 29, 2016

2. How do you copy and paste? what is a clipboard?

Clipboard is a temporary storage area in the memory (instead of disk drive), which can store images as well as text. To paste data from clipboard, use the Paste command (CTRL+V) which is supported by almost all applications and edit control boxes.

If the clipboard object is in text format, then open Notepad or any other text editor, and choose Paste. Note that to keep the source formatting intact (suppose you copy text from a website), you'll need to paste it in an editor that supports rich text capabilities..
    like Microsoft Word. Pasting in Notepad strips off all the special text formatting.

If the clipboard object is an image, then open Paint (mspaint.exe), paste it and save the file.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 29, 2016
  3. view clipboard history

Hi,

Windows Systems do not save the clipboard history. There is only one item stored in the clipboard. If you copy something new the previous clipboard contents is overwritten and lost forever. To get the full microsoft clipboard history you need to use third-party
    utilities.

We recommend Clipdiary clipboard manager. It remembers everything you copy: plain text and text with formatting (rtf), html, pictures and files.

Why do you need clipboard manager? What can you do with the microsoft clipboard history?

-Quickly copy data back to the clipboard.

-Paste any clip from the history directly to the selected application.

-Search for the necessary clip by its contents.

-Find out what program the data was copied from.

-Delete clips.

http://clipdiary.com/img/clipdiary.png

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Oct 29, 2016
  4. pepanee Win User

I tried searching also on the internet for you. I saw those few references to Skype too.

This is what I would do:
    Apparently Skype has fixed this problem with their latest version.

1) I would install Skype from their website
    2) After the installation completes, I would open two MS Word Documents
    3) Type whatever in one of the Word documents, give it some special fancy formatting
    4) Copy/Paste that to the other Word document. (cross my fingers to see if the solution is fixed.)
    5) In either case (if it worked or not), I would uninstall Skype
    6) Restart the computer
    7) After restart, reopen two Word documents again
    8) Do step 3 and 4 from above to make sure that Skype didn't somehow do this

pepanee, Oct 30, 2016
  5. BirderBob Win User
    Thanks for your research but that did not fix the problem. Any other thoughts?

BirderBob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clipboard Losing Formatting - Similar Threads - Clipboard Losing Formatting

2. Repair damaged RAW Drive without formatting or losing Data

in Windows 10 News
    Repair damaged RAW Drive without formatting or losing Data: [IMG]This post features solutions for repairing damaged RAW drive without formatting or losing data. A RAW drive is a storage device that has a RAW file system and hasn’t been formatted or assigned to a file system like FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS/NTFS. Drives can sometimes get...
  3. After Replace All Notepad Losing Formatting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Replace All Notepad Losing Formatting: Since Windows 11 upgrade; whenever I use Replace All in Notepad, the text files which I created in Windows 10 lose formatting. Some of the charecters are deleted, some of the lines get out of order, etc.Can anyone help please?...
  4. After Replace All Notepad Losing Formatting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Replace All Notepad Losing Formatting: Since Windows 11 upgrade; whenever I use Replace All in Notepad, the text files which I created in Windows 10 lose formatting. Some of the charecters are deleted, some of the lines get out of order, etc.Can anyone help please?...
  5. clipboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clipboard: I'm trying to increase the size of the clipboard and the number of items I can pin in the clipboard, any idea? i cant find any information on how to do so https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipboard/e93f0002-0d7d-4bcf-968d-4e5642066c6a
  6. Clipboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clipboard: where can I find my clipboard easily? I can clip items but don't know how to retrieve them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipboard/268e52f0-bd0a-4fb0-9190-3afc5b2b29ef
  7. Paste within or between Word docs loses formatting

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Paste within or between Word docs loses formatting: I use Word (Office 365; Win 10 Pro 1903) for music lead sheets. I have the guitar chords in a larger font on a line above the lyric. If I try to copy the line of chords (in red in the following screenshot), and then paste it into the 3rd line above the line "The oranges are...
  8. CLIPBOARD

CLIPBOARD: TRYING TO VIEW CLIPBOARD. CANNOT LOCATE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipboard/092ecaa5-d3df-4b51-9dc9-e9e30703aea1
  9. clipboard

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    clipboard: How can I access the clipboard on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipboard/ec1c2f70-56d7-4ff1-9b5f-4ec5053c9bf3"
  10. Clipboard

Clipboard: How do I get clipboard on PC in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipboard/7f5fd931-ba0d-4886-97a2-f13052649960